SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Sage User

:( Bye Bye All my setting & recordings :(

Grrrrrrr.
I took the 3.07 route and crashed & burned.

All recordings gone and now treated as imported video files
All favorites gone
all tuners gone

Totally unacceptable for an upgrade even if it's beta.

anyone else?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Sage Expert

er, did you set your library folders correctly? and back up your wiz.bin file(s)?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Sage User

Yes & Yes

If an upgrade works properly, the library locations should carry forward.

I've restored to 2.28 and am in process of trying 3.07 a 2nd time.
The 2nd time it did carry my recording directories over and has kept the tuner setups

I'm in the Configure Video Playback section
Whenever I test playback i get:

ERROR(-3,0x80070005) : There was a problem accessing the file system for capture.

Is this due to all UNC paths????
Old 09-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

How did you install it?

The SageTV V3 installer defaults to a different directory than the old V2 installer, so if you installed it in the SageTV directory instead of the old Frey Technologies directory it won't have your old settings and even if you put you old sage.properties file in the new directory the sage.properties file will still point to the old Frey Technologies directory. If this is what happend you can either reinstall SageTV V3 into the old Frey Technologies folder or replace the sage.properties and wiz.bin files in the SageTV\SageTV folder with those found in the SageTV\Frey Technologies folder and edit your sage.properites file to use the new directory by changing "Frey Technologies\\" to "SageTV\\". And whatever you do make a backup before making any changes.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

Sorry to hear about your problem. This does highlight how a beta is not for everyone. I personally won’t even touch 3.0 beta on my main PVR for this possibility alone and the fact its beta. I have an additional tuner in another machine I use for testing/checking out 3.0 beta and I've had a very small list of problems so far. But again its something that I don’t trust in a "production environment" while its in beta.
Of course it is important that as many of us jump on the 3.0 bandwagon and hammer away at the beta to help nail out all the issues while in beta. It does make a much stronger product in the end; it’s just painful along the way sometimes as you've found out already. I'd step back to 2.x for now if having a solid PVR is more important than new features. And from the sound of it, that'd be the best route for you over all.

Good luck,
RedR
Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Sage User

Well my third attempt was successfull. I attribute the error I was getting to some network issue. I dropped back to 2.28, rebooted everything on the network, reinstalled 3.07 and all is well.

Malore,
What you stated about the directories makes perfect sense. Apparently the 2nd & 3rd install put it in my old Frey directories and the settings carried. The funny thing is I never specified which directories. I don't know why it fixed itself the 2nd & 3rd time.

I support computers all day and have gotten into the habbit of letting programs live where they want. I find a 'standard' location install can save a lot of trouble in the long run. Looks like I needed to pay more atttention here.

Thanks everyone for your comments. In the end I feel 3.07 was worth it.

Shouldn't the 3.07 installer check for existing files in the old Frey directories and copy them over?