SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

ATI Component Video Adapter

Hello,

I am trying to set up the ati component video adapter with my 9800pro 128 and an SDTV with component input. Until now I have been using composite (via s-vid adapter). Now that everything is running pretty smoothly I am trying to upgrade.

The problem is that I am getting nothing but a flickering blue screen on the tv when using the component adapter. I beleive this is related to my having configured my system for multi monitors (desktop extended to tv). The ati adapter manual states "When used with ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON family products, the ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter will not operate in multi-monitor configurations, including clone mode." Since my vid card is not a member of the "ALL-IN-WONDER family" I figured I was good to go for multi monitor........

The catalyst control panel recognized the adapter when I rebooted and all seemed good. But I have no video on the tv. Re-reading the instructions I shut down the machine, I already have the appropriate drivers (catalyst 5.8)installed, disconnected the adapter, re-booted, verified that only one monitor was active and shut the machine down. I unplugged the monitor and plugged in the adapter (as per the instructions) and tried re-booting. No go, the machine apparently could detect no monitor so would not even boot. I checked the ati website to verify that there was no other software/drivers needed besides ccp, and found this regarding the adapter:

Quote:
Q8: Does Component Output support multiple displays?
Quote:
A8: Component Output is a single display feature and will not work simultaneously with TV Output (All-in-WonderŽ cards) nor simultaneously with VGA monitors (non-TV enabled graphics boards) for RadeonŽ 9800 Series and older, nor All-in-WonderŽ 8500 Series. Other products are excepted.
This is a little ambiguous. Does this mean no go with any 9800 series, or just 9800 series not tv enabled. My card has svid tv out. I guess all this mumbo jumbo means no dual monitor.

It got late so I disconnected the adapter and plugged the svid/composite adapter back in and re-booted. CCP sensed this and reset itself to my original confiuration (ie: extended desktop, overscan, color adjustments, etc.) . I am guessing this means I am going to have to un-install CCP, reinstall with only the VGA monitor connected, and then shut down and swap monitors?

Anybody been here and done this? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Jesse

ps: dip switches set to 480i, 480p and 16x9--dont know if this matters
Old 09-27-2005, 02:36 PM
SageTVaholic

What you want to do, is go into the display settings, and make sure that your Component out display is set to 640x480 or 720x480 @ 30Hz or 60Hz interlaced. It sounds like it's not right not.

Hopefully that will get you a picture on the component out, but I don't know that it will help you with the multi-monitor issue.

ps: The dip switches do jack in my case, but try turning off everything but 480i.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks stanger,

I should have mentioned that that was the first thing I checked. Actually CCP defaulted to this on the tv monitor.

Guess I will try the dip switches before CCP re-install.....

Thanks again,
Jesse