SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Two SageTV 4.0 Program Guide Customization questions

I'm hoping somebody will be nice enough to explain how to do this to a total newbie.

Question #1
I currently have my video displayed in the background always. In the Program Guide, there's an area reserved for the description of the show. There's plenty of valuable empty space that's not being used for anything for people with small fonts. How can I allow the grid use more space on the screen to fit more rows (to take up most of the screen)? Take a look at the attached picture.

Question #2
For some reason the channel logos get squished and dont hold their aspect ratios when there are more than 4 or so rows. Where can I change it so ALL logos in the program guide will show the correct AR?

Thanks so much in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ProgramGuide3.jpg (394.7 KB, 583 views)

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
Question #1
I currently have my video displayed in the background always. In the Program Guide, there's an area reserved for the description of the show. There's plenty of valuable empty space that's not being used for anything for people with small fonts. How can I allow the grid use more space on the screen to fit more rows (to take up most of the screen)?
You would have to change the size/placement of a couple panels:

1) In the "LiveTVGuide w/ Optional Preview" menu, expand the "EPG Grid" panel once, then expand the "EPGGridArea" theme. Edit the "EPG Grid" panel below that theme -- change its Anchor Y to move the grid up, then increase its Fixed Height to fill the rest of the screen again.

2) In the same menu, expand the "GridEPGTheme" theme once, then double-click on the "EPGPreview THEME" menu reference to jump to that menu. Expand the menu once, then edit the "DetailArea" panel to reduce its Fixed Height.

One issue with doing this is that the "DetailArea" panel is used on multiple screens, so you've reduced its display area in many places, but I don't think the 1st edit will increase the lower area in all the same places -- you will probably need to edit some other places for it all to fit together smoothly again. So, you now get to play around to see how you want to resize things.

Quote:
Question #2
For some reason the channel logos get squished and dont hold their aspect ratios when there are more than 4 or so rows. Where can I change it so ALL logos in the program guide will show the correct AR?
Hmmm.. I could make it easy for you & tell you to search for "Channel Logo" & check-mark its "Preserve Aspect Ratio" option, but that's too easy. You can find it by expanding the "EPG Grid" panel again, look under "AiringTable" to find all the table elements, then look for the image widget that is used to display those channel logos in the tree under the GetAllChannels() API call. You can explore the rest fo the table elements to see what else you can change & how it is all put together.

I didn't double-cjeck what I just wrote, so I hope there aren't any important typos.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for taking the time to explain. However...

I couldn't find the image widget which control's the channel logo's aspect ratio. Do you mind showing me where specifically I can change the aspect ratio setting for the channel logos? Please?

"then look for the image widget that is used to display those channel logos in the tree under the GetAllChannels() API call"

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

I did tell you the easy way -- for #2, see the first sentence that says what to search for. (Use the 'Find All...' command; Ctrl+F)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Sage Expert

I think this is what you want...

Right click on Channel Logo and make sure preserve aspect ratios at the bottom of the popup window is checked. That should make them look correct.

Last edited by Kanati; 11-05-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

It was already set to keep the aspect ratio... Maybe it's one of the other settings? Andy, does this look like a bug to you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chanlogo-bug.jpg (286.3 KB, 430 views)

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It was already set to keep the aspect ratio... Maybe it's one of the other settings? Andy, does this look like a bug to you?
Look at my picture again... I posted the wrong place the first time. I think you are looking at ChanLogo instead of the one I have in the picture now. My mistake at first.

On my default setup, it's not checked in the one I show in the picture. So yours is probably not checked as well.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You are definitely editing the wrong widget's properties. If you are using Ctrl+F to find it, make sure you are searching for "Channel Logo" (w/o the quotes). Note that it is case sensitive. (The image posted above is correct also.)

Also note that checking that box will not show an immediate change -- refresh the menu or simply go to the Main Menu and click on Program Guide again. (This is one of the times were a menu refresh is needed to see the change.)

- Andy
Old 11-05-2005, 11:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Thank you! The problem is fixed now. I wonder why it wasn't set to keep aspect ratio in the first place. I cant imagine why anyone would want to see their channel logos stretched out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixed.jpg (267.6 KB, 402 views)

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-05-2005, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

PS: Andy, thanks for explaining more about the using the find feature (the easy way). That was the first thing I tried, but it didnt work at first because I didnt realize it was case sensetive. You weren't kidding about it being the easy way

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-05-2005, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Andy, you'll be proud of me! Before you know it I'll be able to design my own stv's

Check out what I have so far in my attachments!

I need a little bit more guidance though...

1) I need to get rid of that big vertical scroll bar on the right all together. Basically removing that vertical empty space on the right to make more room for the program guide and details area.

2) Is there any way to change the transparency level on the Program Guide screen ONLY? If it's a global value where do I change it?

3) Lastly, where do I change the dimensions of the TV Preview Window? Can I change it just in the Program Guide screen only?

Thank a million for helping me out!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg background.jpg (307.9 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg Window.jpg (271.0 KB, 402 views)

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 11-05-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Andy, you'll be proud of me! Before you know it I'll be able to design my own stv's
That's kind of the idea

Quote:
Check out what I have so far in my attachments!

I need a little bit more guidance though...

1) I need to get rid of that big vertical scroll bar on the right all together. Basically removing that vertical empty space on the right to make more room for the program guide and details area.
The easiest way is to just turn of Mouse Icons in Detailed Setup.

Otherwise you can simply delete the "VPaging" panel in "AiringTable". Then you'll have to go to the "Airing" TableComponent (under GetAiringsOnChannelAtTime), and change it's size to make up the difference. You'll probably have to do the same for The TimeCol tablecomponent.

I'd just go with the easy way

Quote:
2) Is there any way to change the transparency level on the Program Guide screen ONLY? If it's a global value where do I change it?
I think I found it, but I'll let andy take this one

Quote:
3) Lastly, where do I change the dimensions of the TV Preview Window? Can I change it just in the Program Guide screen only?
Same with this one.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Stanger89!

I actually use those mouse shortcuts, all...except for that vertical scroll bar

Check out my EPG now!! I could only dream of customizing my Menus this way.

Only two questions remain for Andy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg background.jpg (324.2 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg Window.jpg (284.0 KB, 376 views)

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 11-05-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What part of the screen are you trying to change? If you mean the top where the description is, then go back to the DetailArea panel & change its child background shape. If you mean the grid itself, then you would have to modify the shapes for all those cells in various places & that will affect more than just the grid.

Quote:
You would have to go back to the "EPGPreview THEME" and find the preview window code under the bolded If statement. That will affect the preview window in many places, since that is a theme used quite often.

- Andy
Old 11-06-2005, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

One last question. I promise! How can I display detailed info (star rating, year, etc.) in the TV Guide instead of the abbreviated info? Thanks so much for all your help!

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 11-06-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

View the details info for some show, use the Customize command to jump to that menu in Studio, then explore that menu's widgets to see how it uses API calls to get & display that info.

You would have to add additional info under the DetailArea panel, where the existing show info is retrieved & shown.

- Andy
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I tried to copy the API calls I thought were responsible for addional movie details under the "DetailArea panel". I guess I'm either copying the wrong widgets or placing them in the wrong spot.

Maybe somebody wouldn't mind helping me find what specific objects need to be copied to the DetailArea panel to retrieve and display additional movie details.

If it's too difficult to explain or exceeds the level of support in this forum, I understand... But, I do feel like I'm very close!!

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 11-07-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

What kind of info are you trying to add? You should add additional info somewhere on or right after these lines, but before the ShowInfo text widget at the end of the tree:

Code:
-If(Size(GetShowEpisode(Airing)) > 0, "\"" + GetShowEpisode(Airing) + "\" - ", "")
 |-this + If(Size(GetShowDescription(Airing)) > 0, GetShowDescription(Airing) + "\n", "")
   |-this + GetShowCategory(Airing) + If(Size(GetShowSubCategory(Airing)) > 0, "/" + GetShowSubCategory(Airing), "")
     |-ShowInfo
- Andy
Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Andy, I tried my very best (see below) with the limited experience I have. Would you be kind enough to take a look at my syntax and correct the errors I have? It should be pretty obvious what extra information I attempted to add to the "DetailArea" panel.

-If(Size(GetShowEpisode(Airing)) > 0, "\"" + GetShowEpisode(Airing) + "\" - ", "")
|-this + If(Size(GetShowDescription(Airing)) > 0, GetShowDescription(Airing) + "\n", "")
|-this + GetShowCategory(Airing) + If(Size(GetShowSubCategory(Airing)) > 0, "/" + GetShowSubCategory(Airing) + "\n", "")
|-this + If(Size(GetOriginalAiringDate(Airing)) > 0, GetOriginalAiringDate(Airing) + "\n", "")
|-this + If(Size(GetShowRated(Airing)) > 0, GetShowRated(Airing) + " for " + GetShowExpandedRatings(Airing) + "\n", "")
|-this + If(Size(GetPeopleInShowInRoles(Airing, "Actor;LeadActor;Actress;LeadActress")) > 0, GetPeopleInShowInRoles(Airing, "Actor;LeadActor;Actress;LeadActress") + "\n", "")
|-this + If(Size(GetPeopleInShowInRoles(Airing, "Supporting Actor;Supporting Actress")) > 0, GetPeopleInShowInRoles(Airing, "Supporting Actor;Supporting Actress"), "")
|-this + If(Size(GetPeopleInShowInRoles(Airing, "Guest;Guest Star")) > 0, GetPeopleInShowInRoles(Airing, "Guest;Guest Star") + "\n", "")
|-ShowInfo

BTW: Your help is greatly appreciated; with this help, I will be able to help myself in the future and for others who are reading this thread

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Administrator

w/o checking any of the API calls, I see that you are adding a newline char ("\n") at the end of every added bit of info... it could just be extending down below the display area. There is limited space there, so try either not using so many newline characters or rewmove some of the extra info lines.

- Andy