SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Combining 2 sagetv mpg files together?

Well I accidentily stopped sagetv while it was recording a show, and i see it started a second file. What is best/easiest way to combine the files back together into one file? I am not sure if I could just copy them using the command prompt to copy the 2 files, but then sage is probably looking at the two files as two separate recordings, and it might not like it if I mess with its files.

Just wondering how to get them back into one file. Or if it even matters? Maybe when playing it back, sagetv will know to show them together...?
hmmmm

Update: Well, I found the links to VideoRedo software, and I think it will do this task. But I am still not sure how it will effect SageTV if I mess with its files.

Last edited by steingra; 11-06-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage TV doesn't care. It will play both files as if they were one. If you need to play them in some other player then you would need to combine them and VideoRedo is the best.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Sage TV doesn't care. It will play both files as if they were one. If you need to play them in some other player then you would need to combine them and VideoRedo is the best.

Gerry
Thats cool, I figured it might be smart enough to stitch them together on its own. If I combine them together with Videoredo, how will that effect SageTV and this new file? Will it screw up anything?
Old 11-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingra
Thats cool, I figured it might be smart enough to stitch them together on its own. If I combine them together with Videoredo, how will that effect SageTV and this new file? Will it screw up anything?
Since Sage would see the resulting single file as different than the multiple file segments recorded would most likely need to move it to a Library folder. In fact, I'd save it in a library folder just in case Sage saw it as a non-Sage file and decided to delete it. Of course, you also loose EPG data, just be seen as any other Library import file.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Actually, as long as you keep the show ID as part of the filename, you might be OK, since it will associate the ID in the filename with the show data in its database. That works in a more fool-proof manner if you shut down SageTV before merging/renaming the files.

In case you missed it, v4 can recognize its own recordings in library directories too & puts them in the Archived list (which can be included in the list of regular shows... or even unarchived.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

what makes a sage recording lose its show info?

I guess it got me thinking as to what actions, will cause a sagetv mpeg file to lose its show information?

I am going to be experimenting with using videoredo, and editing sagetv files, and then have to resave them. Whats gonna happen when I do that?

Is there like an xml file that has show information in it? or is it encoded in the mpeg file itself? how does sagetv keep track of it?

I see you mentioned the *database*? This is an internal database that sagetv uses?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Administrator

SageTV tracks all show info in wiz.bin. It links a video file to a specific airing via the ID number that is part of the filename,

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingra
I guess it got me thinking as to what actions, will cause a sagetv mpeg file to lose its show information?

I am going to be experimenting with using videoredo, and editing sagetv files, and then have to resave them. Whats gonna happen when I do that?
Works just fine when the recording is a single file as long as you save the cut file as the same exact file name, initially saved to a different working directory of course. I stop the Sage service before copying the cut file into the SageTV directory overwriting the original. Don't know if it's necessary but I figured better safe than sorry, and it works. I routinely do this with movies that'll be keepers and some shows that we record the entire season before watching.

If you also use comskip, which I do, I then delete the 4 previously created comskip files. Next comskip processing the physically cut file will be processed however and comskip will still sometimes think parts are commercials. (I have comskip set to automatically process by Win scheduler Sun-Thursday at midnight) Just need to disable playback comskip when watching.

I don't know how Sage handles splicing together a show that was saved in multiple files 'cuz I've never had that happen so haven't tested it. Since the pieces would have different file names all referenced by the wiz for that single show I'd try saving the pieced together file named as the first file.