SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

MCE/CableCard Labs Announcement

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...bleLabsPR.mspx

What do you think this means for SageTV? Will SageTV clients be able to qualify as trusted devices?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM
SageTVaholic

I think here is the key:

Microsoft is working closely with CableLabs to document final approval of Windows Media® Digital Rights Management (DRM) as a content protection technology for OpenCable5 products that receive one-way cable content under the terms of this agreement.

Since Sage isn't using Windows Media DRM then I don't see Sage being able to take advantage of this anytime soon. (Unless there's that top secret hush-hush project we don't know about.) It would probably take them longer to submit their own DRM to CableLabs. (If Sage had one to submit.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
“The cable industry is very interested in having the PC serve as another means to allow consumers to enjoy cable programming,”

Translation, they were drug kicking and screaming but unfortunately couldn't find a loophole to block MS/PCs out.

Quote:
to market digital-cable-ready Windows® Media Center-based PCs in the holiday 2006 time frame.
Sounds like Vista time...

What does it mean for SageTV:
Quote:
  • Microsoft will provide APIs when Windows Vista is released that will let third party software developers tap into protected PC hardware A/V paths. (That's good to hear.)
  • Microsoft also intends to provide APIs for its DRM on non-Windows devices. Could this mean that Windows Media protected content will soon be playable on Linux machines?
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1632/the_media_center

I think it means that it will require Vista, but that SageTV will be able to tap into the integrated Vista CP "engine" as it were. Will be interesting....
Old 11-16-2005, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Since Sage isn't using Windows Media DRM then I don't see Sage being able to take advantage of this anytime soon.
In addtion to what I posted above, take a look at Zoomplayer Pro WMV and Theatertek, prime examples of 3rd party apps that support WM-RM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Sage Icon

Sounds like something in the works for a long time. Wasn't/isn't CableCard 2 supposed to support 2 way operations (i.e. On Demand/PPV)?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
Sounds like something in the works for a long time. Wasn't/isn't CableCard 2 supposed to support 2 way operations (i.e. On Demand/PPV)?
Yes

This spells bad news for DirecTV and my account status with them!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Sage Expert

The only bad part about CableCard is that (for me) my incumbent is Cox and it sux which is why I canned it for D* (better PQ across the board for SDTV IMO vice Cox).
Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
Yes

This spells bad news for DirecTV and my account status with them!
If they would get off of their a$$ and offer a client/server PVR device with media file capability, they could probably make a good run with Joe 6pack before the MS/Cablecard thing ever gets off the ground.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89

Translation, they were drug kicking and screaming but unfortunately couldn't find a loophole to block MS/PCs out.

Sounds like Vista time...

What does it mean for SageTV:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1632/the_media_center

I think it means that it will require Vista, but that SageTV will be able to tap into the integrated Vista CP "engine" as it were. Will be interesting....

Yep. It wont be until Vista. they have allready hinted that although a large part of the work is allready there in the current media center its still is not enough for the content providers. One of the biggest security changes in Vista allegedly is that the OS will have the capability to prevent the stream from being captured ala man in the middle techniques.

As for linux, Its likely that Microsoft just realizes that theres a fair amount of hardware out that runs on linux and its not logical or necessary for those companies to go to CE or XP embedded. If they dont then these companies would just use plain Mpeg-4 AVC instead. As far as being in a consumer distro? no way in hell since its begging for reverse engineering.

As for Zoomplayer and a few other players, wasn't there an issue a few months ago about security levels of windows media. Basically you pay a pretty high fee, they have to look at your code to see if it has any holes and so forth basically putting it out of reach to most small developers? I think in the end Blight got it working but it was a major pain for him to do it.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Microsoft announces cablecard support -- includes HDTV support

**edit** -- oops -- didnt see the other thread...

Microsoft has announce media center will support cablecards in the near future that will allow digital ready media center PCs that support HDTV from the cable company. See this link for more info.

Looks like the agreement relies on MS DRM for content protection. Where does SageTV stand on this? Is Sage looking into DRM and looking to work with this group to support this standard as well?

http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/hot-do...d-hdtv-in.html

Last edited by Bohica; 11-17-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin
As for linux, Its likely that Microsoft just realizes that theres a fair amount of hardware out that runs on linux and its not logical or necessary for those companies to go to CE or XP embedded. If they dont then these companies would just use plain Mpeg-4 AVC instead. As far as being in a consumer distro? no way in hell since its begging for reverse engineering.
Actually, I'd guess the biggest reason there won't be a WM-RM thingy for Linux (eg Fedora) is because Linux users are horribly caught up in the "it's got to be free" thought pattern, and would never pay for it. Think about it, there's really no Linux software in the consumer market that's free. The only people who pay for software on linux are corporations.

Quote:
As for Zoomplayer and a few other players, wasn't there an issue a few months ago about security levels of windows media. Basically you pay a pretty high fee, they have to look at your code to see if it has any holes and so forth basically putting it out of reach to most small developers? I think in the end Blight got it working but it was a major pain for him to do it.
Blight is definitely one of the smallest of the small developers, I doubt getting WM-RM certified is easy for anyone and certainly more painful the smaller you are, but if Blight can do it, anyone can.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin
Yep. It wont be until Vista. they have allready hinted that although a large part of the work is allready there in the current media center its still is not enough for the content providers. One of the biggest security changes in Vista allegedly is that the OS will have the capability to prevent the stream from being captured ala man in the middle techniques.
I know Vista will require a new, protected path video card and monitor. Will Vista also require a new mb ?

Ken C
Old 11-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
If they would get off of their a$$ and offer a client/server PVR device with media file capability, they could probably make a good run with Joe 6pack before the MS/Cablecard thing ever gets off the ground.
Well DirecTV was supposed to have their own media center out this year with a client serevr setup but I haven't heard anything since I think it was CES 2004. One of News Corp.'s companies in the UK was supposed to have this new setup ready to roll out in 2005 but as you can see it never happened and no word of it since CES 2004. If it was CES 2004 they annouced it.

But at least CableCard is coming next year for sure. Sadly I will say SageTV will not be in my home once it happens since I am srue it won't support it but also I want the Xbox 360 to read live TV and everything from SageTV and that isn't going to happen.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Sage User

Exclamation CableCard support for Media Center in Late 2006

http://www.audioholics.com/news/pres...ARDXbox360.php

Is this just a Vista statement or is this a Vista and Media Center statement? In other words, will this agreement give Sage the right to tap into the cable card support on the Vista OS, or will this agreement exclude Sage? What about Linux?

--dougrob
Old 11-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14170 (Edit: threads merged - Opus4)
Old 11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrob
http://www.audioholics.com/news/pres...ARDXbox360.php

Is this just a Vista statement or is this a Vista and Media Center statement? In other words, will this agreement give Sage the right to tap into the cable card support on the Vista OS, or will this agreement exclude Sage? What about Linux?

--dougrob
See above:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...72&postcount=3

Linux is screwed unless somebody impliments DRM on it.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

We'll have to wait and see when Tivo comes out with cablecard. Their custom distro is open source, I'd imagine that would have to change otherwise we'd probably just be able to grab that and modify it...
Old 11-29-2005, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

The Tivo Distro may be OS, but I don't think the Tivo software is. Similarly I would expect the CableCard/security portions of the CC Tivo to be "closed source" as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
See above:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...72&postcount=3

Linux is screwed unless somebody impliments DRM on it.
So isn't this the company that does the MediaReady 5000 which is really Sage on linux?

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/17...out_boundaries

Quote:
Video Without Boundaries, Inc., a leading provider of interactive, media-convergent home entertainment devices, today announced its plans to make interactive two-way digital cable products a retail certainty by entering into agreements with CableLabs® that enable VWB to implement OpenCable™ Application Platform (OCAP™) - compliant middleware on its next generation MediaREADY™ media centers.
Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Like I said, unless somebody impliments DRM on it, sounds like VWB is going to do that. However don't expect to see their mods out "in the wild". Very cool news assuming they stick with SageTV as the engine though