SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Smile Mini review of not-specifically SageTV system

Alright guys (and gals ), I finally got to build my new system. Not specifically a SageTV system mind you, it's my new desktop, but I figured a number of you might be interested.

The hardware:
2x 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
Abit AN8-Ultra (nForce4 Ultra)
Fortroun Source FSP400-60GLN
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT (Passive)
Antec Performance I P180
Then an "old" WD Raptor 74GB from my previous desktop, and a Pioneer A06.

You're probably wondering what that has to do with SageTV, well, nothing in particular, but if you look closely, you'll notice that most of those components are designed with noise in mind. I long ago (relatively) abandoned the idea that I don't care how loud stuff is, so when I spec'd this out I purposefully picked quite components.

I'll start with the PSU, it's the second Fortron PSU I've purchased, and save for my Antec Phantom, they are my favorites, and at <1/2 the cost of the Phantom, and for a desktop, they are nice and quiet. Also well made, and plenty of power. I'd recommend Fortron PSUs to anyone.

Then there's the 6600GT, haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but first thing I notice (while trying to get my Machine going, bloody ISU didn't give me a key for XP X64 ) is that it worked in Knoppix (which my old Radeon 9500 didn't). It's nice to be non-ATI again. I may get around to commenting on the video features of it, but as this isn't my video source, who knows. But it's passive and that's why I got it.

Ah, then there's the motheboard. I like Abit boards, I'm a big fan, never met an Abit board I didn't like, and this one's no exception, of special note is the he heatpipe cooler on the chipset, there's a "radiator" right above the ports so that there's no fans on the board. That plus it's got the uGuru/OTES stuff for onboard, T-Balancer-esqe (al be it much simpler) fan control.

I guess I'll hit the CPU next, I haven't had a chance to play with it's capabilities yet, but it will be very interesting to see how it works. It's a 2.2 GHz 939 Dual-core CPU, and it's replacing a 2.4GHz 754 Single-core. I'm definitely curious to see if the the dual-channel memory overcomes the 200MHz clock speed gap, and I'm even more curious to see how the second core helps out. Of course then there's the heat/noise. Even with out Cool 'n Quiet enabled, the AN8 is able to run the CPU heatsink at half speed when not loading the CPU. Even with the stock heatsink, it's remarkably quiet.

Last but certainly not least the Antec P180. I've had my eye on the Lian-Li V1200 for quite a while, it's a very nice looking case, but just before I ordered this setup, I check SCPR to see what they had, and they hand the P180 listed with top honors. So, with that high recommendation and for 1/2 the price of the V1200 I gave it a shot. I must say I'm very impressed with this case, it's, for lack of a better term, magnificent. Firstly there's the superficial, and subjective, looks, which are definitly top noch, wouldn't mind setting it next to my TV, but I digress.

I won't go into great detail as SCPR has over 15 pages on it. But the build is awesome, all the drives bays are either on rails themselves, or have rails to mount to the drives (removeable MB tray would be nice). Further, all the drive mounts are rubber isolated, and all the panels have rubber bushings. The PSU is not mounted directly to the case, it sits in a holder that is, again, rubber isolated. And then there's the layout. Rather odd, the PSU is on the bottom in an isolated area (there's even an adjustable divider to run wires through), and the MB is on top, with the CPU socket topmost flanked by 2 120mm fans. Oh, about those fans, they come with little switches to set the speed (though with this combo, 3-pin fans controlled by the MB would be better). There are 3, but I only have the afore mentioned 2 connected, and at their minimum settings.

So how'd it go? Well I threw it together this afternoon, fired it up, and it worked perfect, no troubles whatsoever. And it's really quiet. There's a bit of moving air noise at idle, but it's not offensive. Surprisingly I can only hear the Raptor when it's seeking. Now, it's a pretty high-powered system, so when you load it up, the CPU fan will kick in, but all in all, I could probably sleep with it in the room (at idle).

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out, and look forward to giving it a workout (can't wait to see how it handles Nero Digital AVC, WM9 and HD encoding , not to mention AVIsynth). Plus now I get to transition my "old" A64 3400 to my HTPC

I know it's got nothing to do with Sage, but thought some others might be interested in how these components work, especially WRT the noise level.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Thats sounds awesome. Thanks for posting it.

So I guess you werent playing xbox 360 all day :-O Sorry I couldnt resist.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingra
Thats sounds awesome. Thanks for posting it.
Was hoping it would be helpful

Quote:
So I guess you werent playing xbox 360 all day :-O Sorry I couldnt resist.
pre... ordered... Xbox... 360... too... late...

Yeah, I procrastinated, so I've got to wait for the second shipment (or for somebody on the first to not pick theirs up tomorrow ). Played a little Halo 2 tonight to make up for it

Funny part is PGR 3 came in, and I picked it up last week
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

stanger,

In the reviews I have read that cable management on the Antec P180 is rather difficult because of the seperate power supply location on the bottom. Particularly the 12v line on the MB. Looking at where both my ATX Power PLug and 12V plug on my motherboard is relative to where your MB has these both of my power cables would have to be longer...did you have trouble routing these?

Also do you think it would be difficult routing cables for hard drives....I will be moving 6 IDE drives from my old box to this one ( I have round cables so this should help ).

Thanks,
John
Old 11-23-2005, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
stanger,

In the reviews I have read that cable management on the Antec P180 is rather difficult because of the seperate power supply location on the bottom. Particularly the 12v line on the MB. Looking at where both my ATX Power PLug and 12V plug on my motherboard is relative to where your MB has these both of my power cables would have to be longer...did you have trouble routing these?
The tricky part is getting them through the hole, but it's not really hard. And no I didn't have any trouble routing cables. The 4-pin 12V connector on my MB is at the very top of the MB (and therefore case) but the cable reached fine, as did the molex for my DVD drive in the top slot.

Quote:
Also do you think it would be difficult routing cables for hard drives....I will be moving 6 IDE drives from my old box to this one ( I have round cables so this should help ).
Actually flat cables might be easier , but shouldn't be too bad.

I'll try and get some pictures this weekend when I'm back.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Was hoping it would be helpful

Yeah, I procrastinated, so I've got to wait for the second shipment (or for somebody on the first to not pick theirs up tomorrow ). Played a little Halo 2 tonight to make up for it

Funny part is PGR 3 came in, and I picked it up last week
I got lucky and picked up a core system at midnight on the 22nd. I only ordered it 2 weeks ago from a local Gamecrazy store. I guess no one was interested in core system. But since that was my only choice or else wait until GOD knows when...I went right down there and put down a deposit.

And then went to Best Buy yesterday, after a short break in the game playing action...to pick up a few extra things. And eat food.

I played on XBOX Live too, that was fun. Sorry for off topic, but I couldnt help it.

PS
Been playing PGR3, Kameo (totally awesome graphics, probably best I have ever seen in a game and the wife loves the game Kameo too) And I love PGR3
Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

OK...not as off topic as the XBox but not exactly directly related to the post either. I discovered the other day that my current case was over heating...come to find that 3 case fans were not on...switched to different power cables and fans are now working and temps got better. The reason I discovered this was that my DVI output was getting bad and had all sorts of red lines and streaking in the display and it got worse when I tried to have my monitor connected as well. Now I get no artifacts on the DVI, but I still can not connect the monitor without getting them back.

But I am wondering if I have a serious problem and have caused some serious problems for my components. With a new extremely loud 80cm case fan I am now able to get temperatures as follows from Sandra:

Motherboard temp of 34 C
CPU Temp of 61 C
Power/Aux Temp of 41 C

After running the burn in test in sandra for a few minutes temps go to

Motherboard temp of 36 C
CPU Temp of 65 C
Power/Aux Temp of 41 C

I know on paper the CPU temp is an ok range because according to AMD the die can reach 85 C before problems occur...that is assuming the main board sensor is an accurate reflection of the cpu temp.

My system is always probably going to run hot because I have all my PCI slots filled ( 4 with PVR cards that run hot especially the PVR 500 ) and also I have 6 7200 RPM IDE Drives. My Video card is passively cooled 5200. Also the computer is being kept in a closet...mainly to keep the noise level down.

So should I try and get things cooler? Should I get a case like the P180 to get me a cooler and quieter system?

Thanks,
John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP

Last edited by jptaz; 11-24-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
.... I discovered the other day that my current case was over heating...come to find that 3 case fans were not on...
I have a power supply that has a output to power the case fans. It also has a sensor output that connects to the mother board. If the case fans stop the power supply fan will speed up to try and cool the case. I would hear this and take action.

Quote:
.... I am now able to get temperatures as follows from Sandra:

Motherboard temp of 34 C
CPU Temp of 61 C
Power/Aux Temp of 41 C

After running the burn in test in sandra for a few minutes temps go to

Motherboard temp of 36 C
CPU Temp of 65 C
Power/Aux Temp of 41 C
My CPU has an on chip sensor. I have discovered that a sensor on the heat sink would read about 5 degrees cooler becaquse of the thermal resistance of the heatsink. A sensor mounted close to the CPU would read about 10 degrees cooler than the on die reading.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
So should I try and get things cooler? Should I get a case like the P180 to get me a cooler and quieter system?

Thanks,
John
If you get a new case get one with a large fan to keep the noise down.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well...I decided to order the Antec P180 and a PNY 6600GT Card from Newegg today since they are both on sale and should work for me.

Now all I have to do is try and make this system cool and quiet.

The PNY 6600GT is not passive cooled, but I needed a dual DVI AGP 8X card and did not want to spend a lot of money. The HD Component output is also a bonus since for now I do not want to spring for 50 foot DVI cable for my projector just yet.

Stanger you gonna post some pics of your case?

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 11-25-2005, 05:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Stanger you gonna post some pics of your case?
Ask an ye shall receive.

And if I weren't so lazy I could have done better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P180side.jpg (102.9 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg P180angle.jpg (33.3 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg P180door.jpg (38.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg P180open.jpg (78.4 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg P180lights.jpg (19.8 KB, 310 views)
Old 11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P180back.jpg (47.9 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg p180cables.jpg (48.2 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg P180psu.jpg (31.1 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg P180drives.jpg (76.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 11-25-2005, 05:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
You snooze you loose, as they say. Somebody didn't pick theirs up so I got someone else's today
Old 11-25-2005, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Stanger-

Out of curiosity, are you an Iowa State student? I'm currently a grad student there.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

I was (EE), until about a year and half ago
Old 11-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

stanger,

Does that video card inhibit the ability to use any of the pci slots?

Jere
Old 11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think so, but I'm not really sure.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage User

I currently have a Dell PowerEdge 1400 as my Media/Sage server. It does the job extremely well (Dual P3 1.3 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, etc.) but it is very loud. This would not be a problem if I could hide it in a closet somewhere, but unfortunately, it is in my bedroom. Now I myself have gotten used to the noise, but my wife can't stand it and is constantly complaining about it or just flat out turning it off at night.

I've toyed around with the idea of building a quieter server that I could run 24/7, but haven't really taken the time to look into it. But this post has definately got me interested in pursuing this idea.

The system that Stanger posted looks very tempting, but its a little (ok A LOT) more than I'm able/willing to spend right now. Are there any other quiet options that I could look into that would give very good bang for my buck?

I already have an 80 GB and 160 GB Hard Drive that I'm currently using. And they are very quiet. I also have a passively cooled ATI Radeon 9600. I'm pretty sure I'd want the same case and PSU that Stanger posted. So that just leaves me with a MB, CPU, and RAM left to get. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that this is a server and doesn't necessarily need a whole lot of horse power, aside from the occasional Nero Digital encode, and of course ShowAnalyzer.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9
The system that Stanger posted looks very tempting, but its a little (ok A LOT) more than I'm able/willing to spend right now. Are there any other quiet options that I could look into that would give very good bang for my buck?
The Case, PSU, and a good HSF (like a Zalman 7000) would be all you really need to get 99% of the benefit. If you don't have a passive-cooled video card, throw a cheap one in and you'd be good to go.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

If the current system fits your needs right now, maybe a better idea to look into quiet cooling options. Zalman seems to be the best out there for quiet fans, though in terms of PSUs I like the Antec TruePower lineup the best.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Sage User

Well, being a Dell Server product, I'm not sure how customizable its going to be. I'll have to take a long, hard look at it when I get home. Just going from memory, I'm pretty sure, I could replace the PSU, but not so sure about putting 1 Zalman CPU cooler in there, much less 2. Also, I'm not sure how many case fans it has or what size they are. I should be able to replace those, too. That would definately be the cheaper option now, although it may be more trouble than its worth.