SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Sage User

Import Directory to Add

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a BTV user, but for various reasons I am trying out SageTV for the 15 day trial and trying to get some things sorted out before I make a switch.

I'm stuck on the importing of media files. I have three folders to import, all of which are on a samba shared drive. I've successfully added the mp3 folder using the UNC format \\server\mp3s. However, now when I try and add the \\server\video and \\server\pictures folders it won't allow me. I attempt to add them using either the configuration wizard or the setup menu option, but neither works. I have verified that both shared drives are accessable using explorer using the exact path I am using in SageTV.

Furthermore I have noticed that at the "Select the Import Directory to Add" dialog there is an option for "Network". When I select that the header on the dialog says "current: smb://". I don't really understand this. It seems to be implying that it is looking for drives using the smb protocol, but I've never seen this format. Also the drives it lists under this protocol aren't what they should be. They're listed as "D:\" and "E:\", etc... which are the names of my CD-ROM drives. There are also a few blank entries. Nothing works and some give very bad errors.

Lastly, I attempted to mount my //server/video folder while sage was up and running. I mounted it and SageTV detected it and a dialog popped up asking me if I'd like to browse or copy files from the new directory. I thought this was a good sign so I selected no (becuase I don't want to copy anything) and I went back to the Import Directory dialog. Once again it was not able to see that mounted drive that it had just told me was discovered.

In summary, all of my samba drives have the same permissions. One works the other two don't. I feel I have tried everything I can think of to solve this problem and I was hoping the SageTV community could help me out.

Thanks in advance,

//Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool

You have to be logged onto sageservice.exe with SAME logon and password as your windows logon. You have to "change user" first. I found it easier to use run>services.msc>sagetv service to create sage logon.

Randy
Old 12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Sage User

Thanks,

Now after making that change and starting the service under the same "user name" as my linux box the first time I launched SageTV it froze on initialization. So, I killed the process and this time it started perfectly. Both SageTvService.exe and SageTV.exe are running under the same user which shares the same username and password as my linux box. I imported my video folder and I could see in my samba logs that SageTV was scanning it. After the scan was complete I tried to view the Imported Videos and SageTV is still hung with the little cursor icon spinning (i.e. thinking). I'm guessing that it's trying to build a database of some sorts, but I think it's totally hung now (10mins later). The video folder is fairly large, probably 80GB and is just one be partition on my secondary HDD.

The next thing I did was to rename my samba video folder and then create an empty one just to see if SageTV could handle the empty folder. The behavior is the same, everything seems fine until I try and go into the "Imported Videos" at which point it just hangs while it's "thinking".

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

//Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Sage User

Another note is that for some reason when I am trying to set the "user name" for the service it keep appending ./ to the beginning of my username which I think is resolving to HOSTNAME/user. I don't know how to avoid this.

//Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually (I think) it just has to be a username (vs Localsystem), not the specific one you're using.

And the name should be ".\Username"
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Sage User

Now my pictures and my mp3s are showing up, but my videos don't work at all. Currently I have a single avi file in the folder. I was worried about spaces so it's named so.avi. I select "Refresh Imported Media" and then a big "OK" button pops up. Stupid question, but it's ok for me to hit enter at that point right? I don't have to wait for it to go away on its own do I? Anyway, I click "OK", wait a minute and go to the "Imported Videos" and it doesn't show anything.

Also, I just looked through my photos and then moved them to a backup location . I clicked on refresh and then went to my pictures again and they were still there. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't be clicking "OK".

Thanks,

//Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Hi Rob,
There was a post about Samba and if you search "network drives" you should find it and more about accessing netwk. drives.

-2005, 04:36 AM
nielm
Sage Icon Join Date: Oct 2003

Enable guest access with full control to the shares on \\beacon so that the Sage system can write to it without needing to specifically log on.

No idea how to do this on Samba (possibly 'guest ok = yes' in the conf for the share) -- you may be able to configure it only to allow \\media\guests to have full control which might make it a bit more secure..

Quote:
I'd really like to run SageTV as a service so other machines in the house can connect and use it.

Note you don't have to run Sage as a Windows service to act as a Sage Server -- it can do this as a normal user process (obviously you would need to have a user permanently logged on to the Sage box, which can be a disadvantage)...

This would allow you to use your mapped drives connected using a specific user (as that is handled by Windows Explorer).

Randy
Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Sage User

I have the floodgates open for the samba shares. Everyone can access them without restrictions. It seems that SageTV is doing well with the pictures and mp3 shares, but it just can't deal with the video folder even if it's empty.

However, when I click on Refresh Imported Media it doesn't do anything. When I look at the samba logs I can see that SageTV isn't doing anything. I would expect it to scan each of the files in the imported media folders.

Any other ideas?

//Rob