SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Kewl, and HDTV Media Ready System!!!

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3469066797.html
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Very cool. Anyone going to CES please get us some pics!!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Here's another link where I saw the HDTV stuff.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/23/v...wiss-army-box/
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hopefully there will be a way to upgrade the number of tuners that can use the cable card feature. I'd drop Directv and go back to cable real quick.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Sage Expert

Not for THAT price I'm not getting one... That's a bit much.

My cable service has CRAP for HD content too. That's why I switched to Dish.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

You have to admit, there's something sweet about SageTV and VWB, two pretty small companies doing and end run and (apparently) providing CableCard before Mr. Softy
Old 12-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Sage Expert

I am wodnering though if CableCARD will work right out of the box are if we are gonig to have to wait. Maybe we wouldn't have to wait since it is Linux and this can be a closed system where as Windows is not a closed system. But it is a bit pricy.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

I don't quite understand your comment about having to wait? Wait for what? VWB has already gotten approval for TWO WAY cablecard access from cablelabs... So long as cablecard is available there shouldn't be any reason to wait... I guess if you are talking about the tuners not working with SageTV that could be a problem, but I doubt they'd be showing it off at CES w/o cablecard working... That would seem to be the only reason to bring it to CES.

Although they are approved for Two way, I doubt there will be much use for it since I don't think sage will have anyway to make use of it, unless VWB made some special mods to the STV to add support to order PPV and VOD stuff...

Not only are they beating Mr. Softy to market, they are doing it better!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting. 2-way cablecards don't exist yet, but this brings up the question if they were approved for 2-way but not 1-way cablecard. that would not be very useful.

Thanks,
mike
Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 PM
SageTVaholic

I would expect a 2-way cert to include 1-way. If not, CableLabs is moronic.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I would expect a 2-way cert to include 1-way. If not, CableLabs is moronic.
I believe the 2-way card is actually a bit more secure in operation than the 1-way card. If so, then the certification criteria for a 1-way card would be higher than for a 2 way card.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
I believe the 2-way card is actually a bit more secure in operation than the 1-way card. If so, then the certification criteria for a 1-way card would be higher than for a 2 way card.
No way it could be easier to get approved for 2 way then 1 way! If that was the case then MS would just go straight for 2 way...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Sage Icon

Does dual tuners = dual digital cable recording?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 01-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Sage Expert

I have emailed them and they sai the plan is to support 2 analog tuners and 2 digital tuners but they can't say if it will ever work but the goal is for it to work.

I have to say though, I have traded a few emails with one of the VPs and it turned me off basically because he lacked customer service skills and just seemed unwilling to answer any questions. Such as I sent a couple of paragraph email asking about the 6000 and the repsonse back was soemthing like "thats the plan" while I asked him about basic details of the system such as if it would support CableCARD from the get go and how many tuners.

But we will see what happens, it is a bit much considering that it looks like we could wait 6 months or so after this is released and used Vista with CableCARD and I am sure Sage for Wnidows will support it.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon
I have emailed them and they sai the plan is to support 2 analog tuners and 2 digital tuners but they can't say if it will ever work but the goal is for it to work.

I have to say though, I have traded a few emails with one of the VPs and it turned me off basically because he lacked customer service skills and just seemed unwilling to answer any questions. Such as I sent a couple of paragraph email asking about the 6000 and the repsonse back was soemthing like "thats the plan" while I asked him about basic details of the system such as if it would support CableCARD from the get go and how many tuners.

But we will see what happens, it is a bit much considering that it looks like we could wait 6 months or so after this is released and used Vista with CableCARD and I am sure Sage for Wnidows will support it.
I am not sure Sage for Windows will be able to support cablecard. Vista stores cablecard recieved videos in a secure way. The whole point of Sage is having open access to the recorded media. The cablecard certification process will not certify an open architecture box. Look at the license agreement.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Sage User

I'll take a look...

I'm going to CES (Fri-Sun) so I'll try to stop by VWB and have a look.

DArthur