SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Sage User

Unhappy Newbie___need help with mp4 playback

Hi,
I have using PVR system for the past 2 weeks and am very happy with my setup mostly thanks to SageTV. Experimented with GBPVR for sometime , downloaded trial version of SageTV and viola!! all issues gone. Thanks to the develpers for this excellent software.
I have a dedicated stand alone CPU for SageTV connected to TV via TV-out of PVR 350. I operate it with Hauppauge remote and remote desktop (if required to access the PC). Works beautifully.
I want to compress mpg2 files with nero recode into ASP MP4 format. I got it playing natively in Sage (with 3IVX and ffdshow). However, the video and audio are seen only on the PC desktop and not through TV out of PVR350. All i get is OSD menu about the file on TV and a still frame from the last viewed clip on TV (not from the mp4 file). Is this an issue with configuration? or is not possible to view compressed files on TV with PVR350. If not it will defeat the purpose of having a PVR system and having you own collection of videos as keeping all files in mpeg2 format would be impossible.
Would appreciate any help in getting this working...
TIA,
Sachin
Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

The PVR350 is a hardware decoder and is only capable of outputting Mpeg2. To do what you're wanting you need a video card with good TV out. For a SDTV the picture from a video card won't be as good as the 350, but if you have a HDTV video cards can look very good.

Assuming you have a powerful enough CPU the MVP will be capable of playing divx once Sage has the transcoding working and the PQ will be much better on a SDTV than a video card. No clue when transcoding will be possible.

Last edited by blade; 12-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Sage User

I understand tha the PVR350 is a MPEG2 hardware decoder. But should it not be possible to get the video signal of software decoded mp4 files out through the TV out on PVR350? May be i am not stating this right. But if SageTV can show the OSD for mp4 file via TV out, is there a way to get the decoded video and audio signals to be routed through the TV out?
Would the Xcard play the mp4 file via TV out?

Last edited by sachin; 12-29-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

No-not through the TV out. It's a hardware solution out to the TV out. For either device you would need to go through your video card-not the TV out of the PVR 350. That's why most people shy away from it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Sage User

If sage TV can output photo files thorough TV out, why not video files????? They are not in MPEG2 format. Obiviously, I am not a IT person....I am just wondering, if there is not a software bypass to this hardware problem.
If PVR350 is not the solution any suggestions about setting up a stand alone system (i.e. connected only to TV without keyboard, PC monitor etc).
Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Because pictures are rendered in the same method as the OSD/menues. I don't believe that functionality of the hardware is capable of being refreshed at 30fps that video would require.