SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Sage User

SageTV Client - Stream Live TV

Beyond TV allows you to stream live TV to a client using its client software. Is this possible using SageTV client? I plan on streaming TV over the internet as both locations have 10Mpbs connections with roundtrip time of around 25MS.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

You'll be able to stream on the LAN-that's what the Sage client is for. But I doubt you'll be able to stream over the Internet. It's not designed for that. Sage is streaming mpeg2.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Sage User

Well the internet I would be using would be fast as a 802.11G solution (10-15mbps).

Can you stream live TV with hardware based cards or does it only work with software ones?

Also would a P4 1.7GHZ w/ 256MB ram be enough for a streaming server with the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 08:29 PM
SageTVaholic

You can stream with any card Sage supports AFAIK.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by needbb
Beyond TV allows you to stream live TV to a client using its client software. Is this possible using SageTV client?
I still use BTV just for this feature alone. And I use a software tuner but it should work with hardware ones too. With BTV, you can change channels also. Their web interface is slow but most of the time, it works well. I'll completely drop BTV if SageTV or nielm or anyone develop a simpler solution. You can also try ORb, its free. I tried it once and it loaded like 10 procceses int eh task manager and so I uninstalled it and stuck with BTV.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Sage Icon

streaming over a LAN or W-LAN to a PC is what the SageTV client does. The same menus appear on the client, so it can view live or recorded videos, photos, etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Sage User

So does that mean that I can stream it over the internet just like a WLAN? The computer has a public IP and is not firewalled.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Sage User

Bump!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Sage User

Im a newb but from what I understand sage client is meant for your own netowrk - IE your home PC to PC. There are other apps out there like ORB and BTV from what this post says has a web client thatll work from any browser - but the sage client itself isnt meant to do that. I did hear at CES they let the cat out of the bag on a SLING-like client thatll do exactly what your talking about and I guess it was really good from the one review I read/saw. Dont take my word for it - im newb too but I think im on track!

Good luck...

Quote:
So does that mean that I can stream it over the internet just like a WLAN? The computer has a public IP and is not firewalled.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 01:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks
If you think you have a fast enough connection over the Internet between your 2 PCs then YES-you can stream. So far no one has a connection fast enough that has been happy with it. You'll be the first one. Use ORB or wait for the new Play Anywhere Sage client or whatever they're calling it. Those are more designed to do what you're looking for.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
If you think you have a fast enough connection over the Internet between your 2 PCs then YES-you can stream.
Not sure this is entirely true. Doesn't SageTV server and client needs to be on the same subnet or gateway to be connected? Can any SageTV technical gurus please confirm, Opus4?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
Not sure this is entirely true. Doesn't SageTV server and client needs to be on the same subnet or gateway to be connected? Can any SageTV technical gurus please confirm, Opus4?
I wouldn't think so. Certainly the client won't be able to discover a server if it's not on the same network. But it should work as long as you are redirecting the public IP to the private IP of the server via a router and have the proper port(s) open.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV
Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I can use Neilm's webserver. So I would think I could point my Sage client to that public IP of the Sage server. It's been done before. All the client wants is the IP address of the server.

Gerry
Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Guyverix Send a message via Yahoo to Guyverix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
I wouldn't think so. Certainly the client won't be able to discover a server if it's not on the same network. But it should work as long as you are redirecting the public IP to the private IP of the server via a router and have the proper port(s) open.

The easiest way would be a VPN tunnel, then the Sage client could talk to the server. It would also be secure since it would be an encrypted pipe.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyverix
The easiest way would be a VPN tunnel, then the Sage client could talk to the server. It would also be secure since it would be an encrypted pipe.
True, if you want security and the ability to discover a server. But, a VPN shouldn't be necessary to get it to work. You would just have to (when the SageTV client prompts you) manually type the IP address for the server (which would be the public address that your router will redirect to the private address). It requires opening the correct port or ports on the router and having the router redirect the requested public IP address to the internal IP address of the server. I'm not saying it's ideal or recommended. But it should work at least to the point of getting client connectivity and the SageTV UI. Whether or not you could successfully play video over the connection is questionable. You definitely would need a fat pipe on both ends and hope that the route it takes from point A to point B doesn't introduce a lot of latency.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen

Last edited by TakeFlight; 01-16-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Sage Icon

A VPN should not be neccessary, but it can make it easier. A while ago, a guy on the forum was trying to access his server from a client in a different dorm room at his college. having to adjust 2 routers to let the client run smoothly by opening ports was almost impossible. He had his server's router set correctly where the client could connect if it was plugged directly into the school network, but put it behind a router in a different room, and no go.

He ended up doing a VPN and it worked ok then.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&highlight=vpn
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
A VPN should not be neccessary, but it can make it easier. A while ago, a guy on the forum was trying to access his server from a client in a different dorm room at his college. having to adjust 2 routers to let the client run smoothly by opening ports was almost impossible. He had his server's router set correctly where the client could connect if it was plugged directly into the school network, but put it behind a router in a different room, and no go.

He ended up doing a VPN and it worked ok then.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&highlight=vpn
Yeah, if you don't have access to configure the router that the server is sitting behind a VPN will likely be the only solution.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Sage User

Well thanks for the responses. As for the pipe, the slowest side is 15Mpbs (fiber on both sides). I get a ping of around 20ms from the remote side which is pretty good saying that the distance is 400 miles. The server has a public IP with no ports blocked