SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Anybody else a total geek? (CES keynote)

So is anybody else as bad as me and watching/watched the Gates CES keynote?

A couple of interesting things have been anounced in there, noteably:

DirecTV/MS partnership to allow DTV access on Media Center (must assume that means direct recording)

Windows Live, a web portal which seems to feature an Intelligent-Recording-esque features.

Also demoed HD-DVD.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89

A couple of interesting things have been anounced in there, noteably:

DirecTV/MS partnership to allow DTV access on Media Center (must assume that means direct recording)

Windows Live, a web portal which seems to feature an Intelligent-Recording-esque features.

Also demoed HD-DVD.
Didn't watch it, but I will most definitely be watching the DTV/MS news closely... Wonder how soon that will go forward?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Sage Icon

MS is finally going to open DTV back up to hacks, lol

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Bill should NOT try to "float like a butterfly" on camera
Old 01-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
{Raises hand}

Quote:

Of course, only with Windows Vista. And since DirectTV isn't available in Canada, I don't know how significant this is. Still, it is definitely a step forward.

Quote:
Also demoed HD-DVD.
Fearless prediction: HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will be dead or at most niche formats. They will not be embraced by the mainstream because they don't provide a compelling reason to upgrade over DVD.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Sage Icon

Here's the streaming link for those that missed it: http://metahost.savvislive.com/micro...060104_300.asx
Quote:
Fearless prediction: HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will be dead or at most niche formats. They will not be embraced by the mainstream because they don't provide a compelling reason to upgrade over DVD.
I think the higher resolution and the advance interactive feaures is more than compelling.
Quote:
I thought it was partnership with the cable companies. They were using the COX cable card with that Dell Cable Card device. Must've missed the DirecTV part if indeed that is true.

Anyway, MCE in Vista looks very promising, plus the variety of MCE integrated clients out there are very attractive, from Xbox360 to mobile devices. Once I start the switch from SDTV to HDTV and when Vista ships, I'll definitely will compare products again and see if SageTV is still the better choice.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
I think the higher resolution and the advance interactive feaures is more than compelling.
Why do you think higher resolution would make such a compelling feature? That is like saying a higher top speed is a compelling feature for cars. Or increased computing speed is a compelling reason to upgrade a computer. Right now, given the picture quality that upconverting DVD players and HTPCs are capable of, most people are happy with the current technology, and merely an increased resolution that may not be all that evident with the type of TVs that most people have, will not compell them to buy all new hardware and a new library.

Going from standard broadcast to HDTV is an obvious and compelling improvement. Going from VHS to DVD is also a significant improvement, not just because of better picture quality, but other convenience and extra features. Going from DVD to HD-DVD provides a better picture if you have a display capable of showing that difference, but not much else.

To me, it is the equivalent of DVD-A and SACD. Those formats provide higher quality sound, but also much more strict DRM. Have you noticed how well those formats have taken the market by storm? Most people are happy with the current CD sound, especially since most people probably don't have speakers that can truly do the sound justice. So most people could care less about those formats. The same thing will happen with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. They will be formats for videophiles and gadget geeks. For the majority of people, they will look at it, say "that's nice" and continue watching DVDs.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Here's the streaming link for those that missed it: http://metahost.savvislive.com/micro...060104_300.asx

exactly. Am I the only one that thought the "improved" interactivity is stupid?

My favorite part of the demo was when he did the search for actors on screen, which I might add sounds like a really neat idea, but then he made the comment:
"Now, nobody is mad at me because I stopped the movie to figure out who that actress was" (paraphrasing).
Immediately I thought to myself, "No, their mad at you because you put that bloody thing up on top of the movie!!!"

As somebody on AVS said, just give me a "Play the damn movie (TM)" button.

Quote:
I thought it was partnership with the cable companies. They were using the COX cable card with that Dell Cable Card device. Must've missed the DirecTV part if indeed that is true.
It was probably 10-15 minutes before they showed the cablecard stuff.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyar15
Why do you think higher resolution would make such a compelling feature? That is like saying a higher top speed is a compelling feature for cars. Or increased computing speed is a compelling reason to upgrade a computer. Right now, given the picture quality that upconverting DVD players and HTPCs are capable of, most people are happy with the current technology, and merely an increased resolution that may not be all that evident with the type of TVs that most people have, will not compell them to buy all new hardware and a new library.
Those analogies are terrible. But I'm not gonna bother debating with you whether HD-DVD features are compelling to consumers or not. If you believe that its not much better than DVDs, then stick to your DVDs. For the rest of us, we welcome HD-DVDs with open arms.
Quote:
My favorite part of the demo was when he did the search for actors on screen, which I might add sounds like a really neat idea, but then he made the comment:
"Now, nobody is mad at me because I stopped the movie to figure out who that actress was" (paraphrasing).
Immediately I thought to myself, "No, their mad at you because you put that bloody thing up on top of the movie!!!"
As for the interactive stuffs being stupid, yes they seem to be because that Bourne Supremecy demo looks like it was made the night before just to have something to show. Yes, we all know the talking head floating on the screen is stupid, and I was thinking the same thing that you did when the guy popped up all those info on the screens. But MCE/BTV/SageTV does the same thing in terms of menus and info screens, only much more nicely done interface. So what if the demo execution was poor, the point is it shows potentials of how much more interactive it can get, including fetching data from the internet.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
As for the interactive stuffs being stupid, yes they seem to be because that Bourne Supremecy demo looks like it was made the night before just to have something to show. Yes, we all know the talking head floating on the screen is stupid,
I agree, but I wasn't even commenting on the quality of the interactivity (which, as you noted seemed rather thrown together), I can pass that off as it was a demo.

Quote:
and I was thinking the same thing that you did when the guy popped up all those info on the screens.
That's my point, IMO such things have no place on a movie. If I sit down in my HT to watch a movie, I don't want it interupted with popups, and the like, I don't care about, I don't want that stuff in a movie. If I'm watching a movie, I want to watch the movie without distraction.

Quote:
But MCE/BTV/SageTV does the same thing in terms of menus and info screens, only much more nicely done interface.
Not for me, I have all of the video menu stuff turned off. I've never liked video menues, they're too distracting, you can't watch the show/movie, and do menu stuff at the same time. If you're in the menu, you're missing part of the movie (even if you can still see it underneath.

Quote:
So what if the demo execution was poor, the point is it shows potentials of how much more interactive it can get, including fetching data from the internet.
I know why they're doing it, to get J6P (who won't care about, and quite likely won't be able to use the extra quality) on board with new flashy gimics. I rate all this interactivity crap right up there with Pan & Scan and Fullscreen versions. I've got an Xbox 360 for interactivity, I don't need or want it during a movie. I rip all my DVDs movie only, I don't keep the menues or extras, in fact I almost never even look at the extras.

IMO, if they gave us a disk with no menues, only the movie with chapters, that would be ideal, leave the setup (audio, etc) up to the player.

Unfortunately, I think I'm in the minority.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
But I'm not gonna bother debating with you whether HD-DVD features are compelling to consumers or not. If you believe that its not much better than DVDs, then stick to your DVDs. For the rest of us, we welcome HD-DVDs with open arms.
It will be interesting to watch the roll out of HD DVD / Blu-Ray. There certainly will be a segment of people who will want the higher resolution, but, remember, VHS beat Beta mainly because of longer record times (and lower resolutions).

Ken c
Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
It will be interesting to watch the roll out of HD DVD / Blu-Ray. There certainly will be a segment of people who will want the higher resolution, but, remember, VHS beat Beta mainly because of longer record times (and lower resolutions).

Ken c
Yeah, it will be anybody with an HDTV. Remember DVD's are only 480P.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I also always just rip the movie....most of the bonus stuff is complete garbage with a few exceptions.

The future of copy protection, DRM, HD-DVD scares the crap out of me. The next few years should be interesting. HTPCs are about being versatile, and that's exactly what THEY don't want.

I hope we just all get fibre optic going to our houses and download HD movies/music/tv shows legally online for a FAIR monthly fee. And I can do anything I want with the media (fair use) except give it to other people.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Those analogies are terrible. But I'm not gonna bother debating with you whether HD-DVD features are compelling to consumers or not. If you believe that its not much better than DVDs, then stick to your DVDs. For the rest of us, we welcome HD-DVDs with open arms.
You are the niche he speaks of...
Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree. I do have an HDTV, and was very excited for awhile for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, but as I was sitting there watching Lord of the Rings: Two Towers this weekend for about the 100th time (yeah I am that guy). I realised....Do I need a better image than this? SDTV is horrible, 250 lines of resolution, awful. HDTV is huge. VHS to DVD was a huge leap. Even just beyond image quality, is also the fact that they don't degrade like VHS's but the difference from DVD to HD-DVD, doesn't seem that big of a deal to me. Maybe I just haven't experienced it yet. I can't believe I just said that.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner
Remember DVD's are only 480P.
But remember that a lot of people think DVD is HD already.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner
Yeah, it will be anybody with an HDTV. Remember DVD's are only 480P.
I have an HDTV, a Samsung 56" DLP rear projector. When watching HDTV and comparing it to the regular analog broadcasts (especially sports) the difference is night and day. When watching movies in HDTV, the difference between that and what my DVDs look like when played through my HTPC are subtle at best. Perhaps if I had a front projector that can do full 1920x1080p being projected onto a 100+" screen, I would be able to notice more of a difference. My guess is that most people own HDTV screens between 30-60" wide. That really isn't going to show the difference between regular DVD and HD DVD.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Won't the simple capacity be of value, though? I currently have the Lord of the Rings - on 16 DVDs! Blu-Ray capacity can go up to 50 or 75 GB, can't it? So at the same definition you could squeeze it all onto one disk.

And surely there will be a big uptake in the PC world; the ability to back up all your data onto one disk would be great.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney
Won't the simple capacity be of value, though? I currently have the Lord of the Rings - on 16 DVDs! Blu-Ray capacity can go up to 50 or 75 GB, can't it? So at the same definition you could squeeze it all onto one disk.
Asside from SD TV show series, I wouldn't expect to see much of any SD content on Blu-ray/HD-DVD. Especially not blockbusters like LOTR, that will almost certainly be HD only on HD disks.

Quote:
And surely there will be a big uptake in the PC world; the ability to back up all your data onto one disk would be great.
Not at $995 for the burner and $50/disk. (Granted it will drop).
Old 01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

As for the interactive stuffs being stupid, yes they seem to be because that Bourne Supremecy demo looks like it was made the night before just to have something to show. Yes, we all know the talking head floating on the screen is stupid, and I was thinking the same thing that you did when the guy popped up all those info on the screens. But MCE/BTV/SageTV does the same thing in terms of menus and info screens, only much more nicely done interface. So what if the demo execution was poor, the point is it shows potentials of how much more interactive it can get, including fetching data from the internet.
Put me in the stupid camp. I don't believe increased interactivity is compelling for consumers, certainly not me. This is contrived usefulness justify higher price ala "premium" content.

For movies, I believe that the advantages of HD-DVD are minimal to non-existent.