SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Sage Icon

Sage mini-client (aka slingbox mode)

I stopped by the Sage display briefly today and saw a demo of the new sage mini-client. It's a java applet you download in a browser that connects to a sage backend server via an IP network path, and allows you to view live or recorded media content remotely. The server transcodes the content on the fly to serve the client app.

It looked very cool and pretty snappy. They had a feed being shown from a server in LA.

Looks like more goodies in the works from Sage.

Oh yes, the linux and windows versions interoperate with each other.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
I stopped by the Sage display briefly today and saw a demo of the new sage mini-client. It's a java applet you download in a browser that connects to a sage backend server via an IP network path, and allows you to view live or recorded media content remotely. The server transcodes the content on the fly to serve the client app.

It looked very cool and pretty snappy. They had a feed being shown from a server in LA.

Looks like more goodies in the works from Sage.
Now that it has been shown... Interesting little browser app, isn't it! Did you play with the UI & notice how it compares to the UI you see in Windows?

Quote:
Oh yes, the linux and windows versions interoperate with each other.
Yeah, that's been done w/the MediaReady systems already. The difference now is that you can buy the Linux install & put your own system together. Just like the Windows server/client, the versions just have to be compatible regardless of the OS the app is running on. I use my laptop to connect either to my main server or my Linux system, depending on what I want to watch on it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Sage Icon

I liked the mini-client. ;-) The UI looked amazingly similar.

I would love to put a linux system together AND get cablecard support for it too. It doesn't sound like that will happen though... But you could surprise me.

Thanks,
mike
Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sounds great. Been hearing a lot of Slingbox commercials lately, it's definitely something I'm interested in.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

They showed this in that video posted. Looks very interesting. The ability to watch your own personal collection from anywhere with an internet connection will be incredible.

So with it encoding on the fly into a more web friendly format, I wonder if this will pave the way for inplace encoding to the compressed formats on the pc? Then you could either encode on the fly shows that aren't compressed or watch precompressed shows immediately.

Definately a feature to keep an eye on.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Sage User

ah, again way ahead of the competition
Old 01-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just saw the CES video at the announcements forum. That looks cool, it's exactly what I need. I have some unwatched shows, a cable connection at home, dsl connection at work, and some long lunches... I can't wait.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Sage User

How long until this is available to me? =D
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll be happy to test an Alpha version...