SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

View Poll Results: Would you want a built-in CD Player in SageTV?
Dang, you got DVDs, Videos, Music, CDs...lucky... (I'd even pay $10 for that!!!) 25 50.00%
$10. That's like a dollar an hour. (Wouldn't pay for it, but would like to have it...) 15 30.00%
Took me like 3hrs 2 finish ripping a CD 2 the HD. Probably the best CD I've ever ripped. (Useful?) 3 6.00%
This is pretty much the worst request ever made. (Don't want it, don't need it.) 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Sage Icon

Sage Main Menu CD Player Support: Poll

CD Player support from the main menu in SageTV has been brought up several times, yet for some reason, continues to be left out of any updates to SageTV.

This is a feature, that if it even required a minimal charge to get, I'd be willing to pay for.

SageTV has many things going for it, in that it is one of the most customizable PVR applications currently available. I have only been using SageTV to record analog cable TV since I built the HTPC, but have looked into OTA HDTV, and within the month, am signing up for Verizon FiOS TV, with dual STBs. Surprisingly to me, it is relatively painless to setup my box for this new digital TV, and I think most thanks would have to go to SageTV, for building in such great support, such as for the USB-UIRT.

As much as I love SageTV, and will probably never choose another PVR application, this one lacking feature keeps coming back to haunt me.

For an application to be completely 100% WAF approved, it basically needs to be able to perform exactly the same features of all the equipment it replaced (in my situation, a 5 disc DVD player, which doubled as a CD player, and a VCR). The only thing lacking, is a way to play a CD that has not been ripped to the hard drive.

Most people would probably say to just rip it to the hard drive, and be done. Well, it's not that easy. I have a rather elaborate way of ripping CDs to the HTPC, and getting my wife to do that, would probably make her NOT want to do it. Instead, she uses the built-in speakers on the study computer, and turns the volume up.

Is there some reason behind why SageTV is staying away from a built-in CD Player? I know I'm complaining here, but I really have to commend the people that work for SageTV, as the software just continues to amaze me in all that it does, but really, would it be so difficult to add a CD Player?

How about a poll, just for fun?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Sage Icon

Well, if this keeps up, it shouldn't be long before we see this feature.

Keep it up, and hopefully, someone from SageTV is lurking...(or voting, for that matter!)
Old 01-25-2006, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Where's the, "Not a stupid idea, but I can't imagine playing media of a disc option?"

Sorry, "Stupid idea" was the closest one
Old 01-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Where's the, "Not a stupid idea, but I can't imagine playing media of a disc option?"

Sorry, "Stupid idea" was the closest one
Wonder who the stinker is???
Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

I was a little confused with the options If it's an easy coding task, sure, why not. If not, improving the music and DVD player and fixing .wmv tags is my first choice.

P
Old 01-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Sage User

I am in a different setup, planning on using only extenders in the various family rooms linked to a sage server in the study ( I find my current HTPC just too noisey to live with under the tele - just not "silent" enough!!! )
My setup will still have the existing DVD/CD player with the tele, so a "Play CD/DVD" option comming up when using sage would be redundent, and probably have a negative effect on the WAF. If this option could be coded so it didn't appear on an extender, but only local to the machine with CD/DVD drive then that would be cool, but from what I understand that thats not possible as they share the same GUI.
Else if it was made configurable to enable / disable the option then that would suit my situation also ( because I could just turn it off ).

Cheers.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Depending on what STV you use. For instance, I use SageMC and removed the "Play DVD" menu item for the MVP but left it for the other PC clients. Same can be done for any CD playing option.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I was a little confused with the options
Me too - I presume the bit in brackets is the "real" meaning, but I can't see how it links up with the bit before!

Very much like this feature, also for WAF. And if friends come round with a CD, as they often do, it would be nice to be able just to play it.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney
Very much like this feature, also for WAF. And if friends come round with a CD, as they often do, it would be nice to be able just to play it.

That is my thinking also!
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'd pay the $10, especially if FM radio support were added also (hint hint)!

Eric Law
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Sage Icon

Good comments. And, yes, using SageMC would allow you to remove that menu item (I guess this can't be done inside of the original Sage STV?).

Oh, as for the poll, they are modified quotes from Napoleon Dynamite. Sorry for the confusion. The hard part, was getting them under 100 characters, the limit on a line item.

I like the comment about family coming around with a CD to play. This has happened a couple times in the 10 or so months I've had an HTPC, but more so with my wife. She comes home with a new CD, and can't play it until I get home...