SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Why can't sage generate my thumbnails?

So I have tried everything I can think of to get sage to generate thumbnails for my photo collection. Shut down sage, restart computer, downgrade to non-beta version, stand on one leg, bark like a dog...you name it! It's Large, 7800 pics some of which are almost 10 megs but most are around 2.

After searching for an answer to this problem I have found that other people have had this same issue (also with rather large photo collections) and two different suggested solutions have been offered. First, that certain resolutions will hang up the generator for whatever reason. Well, the one(s) mine gets stuck on are the same resolution as the pictures before it in the list that had thumbnails generated no problem. So that seems to be out. The second solution was that the thmbnail generator's display just hangs but the process continues and the thumbnails actually get created. Well, I checked my generatedthumbnails directory and there are just as many as there should be according to the hanging display (2172/7800). Oh, and there all jpegs if it matters.

Setup:
Sage V4.1.3.67 (also tried new beta and same thing happened)
WinXp Home up to date
NAV

3.06 Cel D
2x 512 DDR
Sata 120gig (x2) drives

Please help!!

Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Sage User

I experience the same thing. Seems to be a few problme files that are having the generation up. I always assumed it was due to a few very large files but never spent the time to investigate and track down exactly whats happening.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Sage User

So do you just not use the photo feature then?

I'm suprised more people haven't posted up with this problem. Am I the only one that likes the slideshow feature of sage??
Old 02-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Dustin,

I don't use the feature anymore because of that problem. It has been in there from the beginning. It has migrated with all the new versions and is still in 4.1.6b as well. I guess it is not high on their list of 'to do' stuff (and i can understand that, as it is not their core thing).
With me it starts generating the thumbnails, but stops half way. I can't get it to go any further though.

I hope someday, they do solve this.

Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

I found that Sage 4.x would start generating thumbnails, then stop at a certain photo. I wrote down the path and found that I had other files in there with my photos (ie: Quicktime videos from my digital camera). Also, if your photos are too large in size that will hang it up. I used Microsofts PowerToy Image Resizer to quickly reduce the resolution of the JPG (You don't need as high a rez for the screen as you do print). After that Thumbnails worked great.

T.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just curious, are you running in service mode?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage User

I just dont use it enough to take time out to investigate. Someday I want to implement the slideshow screen saver mod posted in the Studio section but its not high on my priority list. If I ever get to that... The thumbnail generation "bug" will become a bigger issue for me.

---I'm in service mode
Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsmith
I just dont use it enough to take time out to investigate. Someday I want to implement the slideshow screen saver mod posted in the Studio section but its not high on my priority list. If I ever get to that... The thumbnail generation "bug" will become a bigger issue for me.

---I'm in service mode
In addition to or instead of checking image sizes
You might try:

1. Closing Sage GUI
2. Stop service (make sure it stays stopped and doesn't automatically recover )
3. Start Sage GUI (service still disabled)
4. Remove import directory for photos and wait for everything to clear up
5. Close and restart GUI (service still stopped ?)
6. Readd import directory and wait........
7. Check to make sure they are all ther and wait some more....just kidding...a little
8. Now try and regenerate the thumbnails and wait some more. It may take a little while to start. (make sure service is not running)
9. After thumbnails have been generated, Close GUI, restart service, restart GUI

This process has worked for me with various import issues with photos, music, and videos.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
No ...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
I've tried both, but I normally run it.

I also tried the steps you listed above to no avail. I did find that you can manually generate the thumbnails by just paging through the files. I re-arranged my import order to make it attempt the folder with the files that make it hang last and then did all thumbnails from there on out with this method. It still didn't do ones for the problem files, but at least this way you get thumbnails for all of the rest of them. It's a pain but it seems to currrently be the only way around this.

Weird thing is the problem files display just fine when you pic them or in a slideshow??
Old 02-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, I never could pin down what my issue was. Those steps just seemed to work for me. Maybe I was holding my head just right.....