SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Sage Expert

SageTV Client

Question...I just purchased SageTV Client and downloaded it and installed it to my Thinkpad. I downloaded it there to test it before loading it to my daughter's PC in her room..It works fine...Now, how do I remove it from the thinkpad that I have it installed on so that I can install it on her PC and have only one client running? If I just do an uninstall will the Sage server allow me to move it from one pc to another and use the same key code?

Thanks for the help..

Gary
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis
Question...I just purchased SageTV Client and downloaded it and installed it to my Thinkpad. I downloaded it there to test it before loading it to my daughter's PC in her room..It works fine...Now, how do I remove it from the thinkpad that I have it installed on so that I can install it on her PC and have only one client running? If I just do an uninstall will the Sage server allow me to move it from one pc to another and use the same key code?

Thanks for the help..

Gary
There's a command line option you can use to "unregister" a computer. I don't remember it off the top of my head - check the manual, or search the forums.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Sage Expert

well, I don't know what a command line option means..But, I looked all through the manual and no reference to unregister. I found a couple of reference in the forums, but the referred to unregistering the extender, bot the client...I tried the unregister client and it was wrong..

Thanks for any help...

Gary
Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

There is an appendix in the manual that lists the command line parameters (you would add them to a copy of the Windows shortcut used to run the program). Look at the REGISTER parameter. Just don't enter a key after that & it will remove the license from a computer. You will still need to restart the server for the same client to be able to connect from a different PC.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Sage Expert

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

worked just fine...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Sage Icon

In my experience, just uninstall from the thinkpad with add/remove programs. And then install it on your daughter's PC. Then restart SageTV server and start the SageTV client. It should connect.

You will only need to unregister if you plan to get a second SageTV client license for your thinkpad.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Technically, a license should be on only a single computer, so using REGISTER to clear it out before entering the same license on a different system is the proper thing to do & is what I will continue to suggest.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Sage Icon

well, that should've been done with the UNINSTALL process, so its SageTV's fault for leaving the license info behind.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, uninstall via Windows' utility is just to satisfy ethics.
Install on another comptuter. Don't run the client yet.
Then you must stop and restart SageTV on the server (app mode or server mode). After that, run the newly installed client.

IMO, the server should have some way to de-authenticate a client so the license can be moved to a different PC (different IP I guess) WITHOUT restarting the server and disrupting operations.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech
IMO, the server should have some way to de-authenticate a client so the license can be moved to a different PC (different IP I guess) WITHOUT restarting the server and disrupting operations.
I couldn't agree with you more. Having to restart the server to un-register a client is ludicrous, and the uninstall process should remove the license.

I was about to buy another license today, until I noticed that they still have the pre-christmas shipping warning on the website... So instead, I recycled a license (which explains my presence in this thread). If they can't be bothered to update their website at least once a month, then i'm not sure I want to invest any more money into sage.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow
I couldn't agree with you more. Having to restart the server to un-register a client is ludicrous
A licence is tied to a single client system -- they are not 'floating' licences -- this behaviour is the enforcement of that rule
Old 02-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
A licence is tied to a single client system -- they are not 'floating' licences -- this behaviour is the enforcement of that rule
If it is a newer install it should over ride the previous installation. Only the latest install would be active.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

don't agree. Just changing a client should NOT affect the server (require a restart)

Nothing to do with floating license issue.

perhaps the server-restart was just the cheapest way to implement a means de-authenticate (all of) the clients. This is at the expense of ease of use.