SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Sage User

Smile Running 15 day trial, and I have questions...

....big suprise huh?

First one was that none of my MP3s would play, did a little reading and decided to try the winamp plugin and that fixed the first of my questions, except once in a while, the sound locks up. Plays a small portion of the song over and over continuosly. STV is not locked up, nor is winamp, as I can just push stop, and it does....but Im connected to my file server via wireless atm and Im not to sure that isnt part of it. (I'm guessing the built in player doesn't support VBR recorded MP3s)

Second question is a bit complicated. I recently scored a 15" touchscreen flat panel, a KDS Radius to be exact, and was curious if I can set STV up to where the GUI is always up on that screen, with movies-tvs-visulations (sp?) and etc all going to the TV? I have both onboard video out, and a Nvdia clone with monitor and svideo out if that helps. Concisly: GUI to touchscreen, no video, video to TV.

Third question is streaming radio???

Fourth is.....exactly how much trouble is there in hooking this to a Dishnetwork 522 box? I have not bought any tuner cards or remotes as of yet, so as not to head the wrong direction....

I'm pretty sure that some or most of this is answered in the forums, but my search skills ahve failed me miserably =( Also if this is in the wrong place, feel free to chastise me and move it to the proper place.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Sage User

54 reads and no answers
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

1 - never encountered that. Are you using onboard sound? I was having some problems with the built-in sound on my shuttle ss51g and watching movies on my sage box.

2 - I have seen some reviews where it is done. I think they used the S-video out to feed the touch screen and a PVR350 to output the video only signal.

3 - No. There are some web plugings that may allow you to access streams via the web, but no native support for streaming audio from the web is built into Sage to my knowledge.

4 - A few more details about your setup will help. What tuners do you have, video card, processor, ram, OS, etc. Typically you run the analog video outputs from the set top box (STB) to the video inputs on the tuner card. Then use a serial, firewire or an IRblaster to send channel change commands from the sage server to the STB.

Last edited by Menehune; 02-14-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamner
Second question is a bit complicated. I recently scored a 15" touchscreen flat panel, a KDS Radius to be exact, and was curious if I can set STV up to where the GUI is always up on that screen, with movies-tvs-visulations (sp?) and etc all going to the TV? I have both onboard video out, and a Nvdia clone with monitor and svideo out if that helps. Concisly: GUI to touchscreen, no video, video to TV.
Not as it stands (out of the box), though you could with the "Video Mirror" or "Theater Mode" setting on your video card "copy" the video onto the TV.

Quote:
Fourth is.....exactly how much trouble is there in hooking this to a Dishnetwork 522 box? I have not bought any tuner cards or remotes as of yet, so as not to head the wrong direction....
DVRs complicate things to a degree. First the biggest thing is you're replacing the DVD with SageTV so it's kind of a waste. That said, you should be able to use it just like a normal sat (what a 311?) and connect the S-Video to the tuner and use an IR blaster for control. You'll only be able to use one of the tuners in the 522 though.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Sage User

My system:
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
3.0 P4 1mb cache
1gb Crucial Memory
Various and misc. hard drives (300gb - 120gb - 80gb - 2 40gb)
Nvdia Clone with svideo out
no tuner card as of yet
no remote as of yet (tuner card and remote to be decided when I figure out the sat problem)
HP dvd640
8 channel sound on board, will be configured as line out, to be run to my Kenwood receiver/amp
GigaBit Nic on board
Old 02-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
54 reads and no answers
Most of my threads are ignored untill I bump them. Probably just a chance.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Sage User

Old 02-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
....big suprise huh?

First one was that none of my MP3s would play, did a little reading and decided to try the winamp plugin and that fixed the first of my questions, except once in a while, the sound locks up. Plays a small portion of the song over and over continuosly. STV is not locked up, nor is winamp, as I can just push stop, and it does....but Im connected to my file server via wireless atm and Im not to sure that isnt part of it. (I'm guessing the built in player doesn't support VBR recorded MP3s)
Well, this sounds like a network issue... I know that when I turn off my server while I am playing winamp it has the same symptoms as this... I would try hardwiring the system temporarily to see if that solves it, then you can maybe look into changing some of the "buffer" settings in winamp when on the wireless.

If your wireless connection at any point fails, chances are winamp won't resynch with the file as it would a streaming source...

You can try using a shoutcast server if you still have problems with this, but that limits your music control drastically (you will only be able to hear what the server is playing, and not be able to see all your mp3s)

Quote:
Third question is streaming radio???
You should be able to use the winamp to either playback shoutcast servers http://www.shoutcast.com/ or run your own server as stated in the latter comment.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Sage User

It's going to be hardwired, once I can get the guys back over here, sounds like you are prolly right, as I cant even get a signal in there atm.