SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Arrow STV Import: Sleep Timer

Hi,

I was in desperate need for an integrated sleep timer myself, and as I got more accustomed to Studio I started working on my own plugin. It's now finished and works well for me, so feel free to try it out.

Edit:
Description and installation instructions moved to Download Area.

The plugin can be downloaded at http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=72

Enjoy,

Dirk

Version history:
============

V0.3:
initial version

V0.4:
- added link to OSD options menu
- OSD menu now transparent

V.05:
- fix transparency for menu when linked via dynmaic menus
- added optional command line execution on sleep

V0.6:
- incorporated SageMC support into the same import file
- added configuration for sleep durations
- added global timer
- show status of timer after confirmation dialog is closed

V0.7:
- new controls allow to set a specific time (standard STV only)
- send up to 5 commands via USB-UIRT when Sage is entering sleep

V0.8:
- fixed options menu for SageMC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleeptimer1.jpg (20.1 KB, 1408 views)
File Type: jpg sleeptimer2.jpg (15.7 KB, 1196 views)
File Type: jpg sleeptimer3.jpg (20.8 KB, 1107 views)

Last edited by dflachbart; 05-07-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Update to V0.6
Old 02-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Sage Icon

Sweet, I've been waiting for this.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Sage User

Does this work with Sageclient

I tried to import and setup on Sageclient but I couldn't find the internal screen "Sleep Timer". Any ideas? Do I have to edit the .xml file manually? If so, instructions for dummy's would be apreciated.

I have been waiting for this functionality for a long time. This about rounds out the video portion of Sage for me. Better music functionality is next.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Sage Icon

Are you using Nielm's dynamic menu import?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Hi wwisegarver,

yes of course this should work with the client, and there is no need to edit any XML ...
The installation steps should be:

- install nielm's dynamic menus
- unzip sleep_timer_0_3.stvi to your SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3 folder
- go to Detailed Setup / Advanced / Import SageTV Application Package and select sleep_timer_0_3.stvi
- go to the menu where you want to add the timer
- bring up the options menu of nielm's dynamic menu
- select 'Edit this menu page'
- select 'Add menu item'
- select 'Add internal screen' and select 'Sleep Timer'
- enter a name for the menu
- make sure to save the menu definition file

That should be it.

Do you use the stock STV (SageTV3.xml) ? I haven't tested it with any other custom STVs, but I would think as long as the dynamic menus work this one should too ... If you still cant get it working, please send me your current STV file by PM, and I'll check it out.

Dirk
Old 02-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Sage Icon

I'm using Sages STV from CES, the one with animations and Nielm's dynamic menus do not work properly with it but in about 5 min. I figured out how to use Studio to add a button to the main menu and link it to your import. Actually, it was pretty trivial to do so if you don't use the dynamic menu just use Studio.

I also put a button on the right-click menu that comes up when watching something but it takes you out of the video to the timer menu. It works but it would be better if there was also a transparent pop-up menu w/ the same style as the Info pop-up to link to. Did that make sense?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard
I figured out how to use Studio to add a button to the main menu and link it to your import. Actually, it was pretty trivial to do so if you don't use the dynamic menu just use Studio.
True, if your are not 'afraid' of making changes in Studio directly, this is pretty straight forward ...

Quote:
I also put a button on the right-click menu that comes up when watching something but it takes you out of the video to the timer menu. It works but it would be better if there was also a transparent pop-up menu w/ the same style as the Info pop-up to link to. Did that make sense?
Yep, makes perfect sense. I'll see what I can do ...

Dirk
Old 02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
SageTVaholic

I posted an updated 0.4 version which adds a button to the OSD options menu, so you don't need to use nielm's dynamic menus any more (but of course you still can if you want to link the timer to somewhere else). The OSD menu is transparent, and closing the menu will take you back to the video screen.

sleonard: I haven't tried the CES STV, but if it has the same MediaPlayer OSD tree structure the link should be automatically created. If not and you need to link it manually, use the ""REM Show sleep timer menu" node as a link target.

I left the 0.3 version on the page in case I screwed up anything ...

Enjoy,

Dirk
Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Sage Icon

Just updated to 0.4. Like that the sleep timer is added to the OSD options menu.

Found an issue though. I have the sleep timer added to the main menu using nielm's dynamic menus. When I select 'sleep timer' from the main menu, the video pauses, the screen goes blank and the sleep timer appears non-transparent. Once a selection is made, then the video comes back as normal.

Accessing the timer from the OSD options popup works fine.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I've been following this thread closely. Thanks for making such a great addon. Version .4 is what convinced me to install it!

I have a feature request... It shouldn't be too hard either. Add the ability to execute a command line when the sleep timer puts sage to sleep. Or, if you're not motivated to do that, maybe you wouldn't mind telling how to do that in studio.

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 02-24-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Sage Icon

I installed .4 last night on a fresh install of Sage 4.1.8. Thanks for listening to my suggestion of adding the OSD options menu it works perfect like that. I don't even have the need to link to to any other menus now.

I have one more suggestion and that is to add an option for a persistant timer that puts Sage to sleep at a specific time if the sleep timer is not set. For example, I'd like to add a timer that puts Sage to sleep on my kids Sage client at 11:00 PM everynight in case he forgets to set the sleep timer.

If he set the sleep timer for 30 min. @ 10:45 then that overides the persistant 11:00 timer and Sage sleeps @ 11:15 or if he sets the sleep timer for 15 min @ 9 PM then Sage sleeps @ 9:15. But if he forgets to set any sleep timer Sage will still go to sleep @ 11 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Found an issue though. I have the sleep timer added to the main menu using nielm's dynamic menus. When I select 'sleep timer' from the main menu, the video pauses, the screen goes blank and the sleep timer appears non-transparent. Once a selection is made, then the video comes back as normal.
Yeah, I couldn't get this working when I started off in the first version, and now that the timer is accesible from the OSD menu I thought this wouldnt be important any more. But if you need this feature I'll try and see if can get this working ...

Dirk
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I've been following this thread closely. Thanks for making such a great addon. Version .4 is what convinced me to install it!
Thanks, glad you like it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I have a feature request... It shouldn't be too hard either. Add the ability to execute a command line when the sleep timer puts sage to sleep. Or, if you're not motivated to do that, maybe you wouldn't mind telling how to do that in studio.
Sure, sounds like a neat feature . I'll try to get this into the next version.

Dirk
Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I installed .4 last night on a fresh install of Sage 4.1.8. Thanks for listening to my suggestion of adding the OSD options menu it works perfect like that. I don't even have the need to link to to any other menus now.
Good to hear that it works for the beta too ...

Quote:
I have one more suggestion and that is to add an option for a persistant timer that puts Sage to sleep at a specific time if the sleep timer is not set. For example, I'd like to add a timer that puts Sage to sleep on my kids Sage client at 11:00 PM everynight in case he forgets to set the sleep timer.

If he set the sleep timer for 30 min. @ 10:45 then that overides the persistant 11:00 timer and Sage sleeps @ 11:15 or if he sets the sleep timer for 15 min @ 9 PM then Sage sleeps @ 9:15. But if he forgets to set any sleep timer Sage will still go to sleep @ 11 PM.
Well ... this seems like quite a bit of work at first glance, since it doesnt really go with the way the timer is implemented right now. But let me think about this for a while - no promises though ...

Dirk
Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Yeah, I couldn't get this working when I started off in the first version, and now that the timer is accesible from the OSD menu I thought this wouldnt be important any more. But if you need this feature I'll try and see if can get this working ...

Dirk
I don't neccessarily need to have it available on the main menu, as long as it is accessible somewhere like the OSD menu. However, it does fit nicely on the main menu and anybody messing with Sage can see it, and realize that it is there. Hidden in the OSD menu, even though it may be easier to get to, is less intuitive to the basic Sage user.

Whatever capablility you can give will be appreciated. I have been asking for a sleep timer for more than a year, so this in any version is 1000% better than before.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't neccessarily need to have it available on the main menu, as long as it is accessible somewhere like the OSD menu. However, it does fit nicely on the main menu and anybody messing with Sage can see it, and realize that it is there. Hidden in the OSD menu, even though it may be easier to get to, is less intuitive to the basic Sage user.
Yeah, I see your point ...

Quote:
Whatever capablility you can give will be appreciated. I have been asking for a sleep timer for more than a year, so this in any version is 1000% better than before.
I was able to make the menu display transparently on the video, but only if you have "video menu style background" set. Check out the new version.

Edit: I just added another fix, it will continue to play the video even if video menu style is set to preview window.

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 02-25-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

A new version V0.5 has been posted.

New features include:
  • optional command execution on sleep
  • timer menu now displays transparently over the video screen when linked via nielm's dynamic menus

To configure the timer to execute a command before it puts Sage to sleep, add the following properties to Sage.properties:

- sleepTimer/cmd the command line to execute
- sleepTimer/cmd_args command line parameters (optional)
- sleepTimer/cmd_workdir working directory for command (optional)

e.g.:

sleepTimer/cmd=C\:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\notepad.exe
sleepTimer/args=E:\\Program Files\\readme.txt

or

sleepTimer/cmd=C\:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\notepad.exe
sleepTimer/cmd_args=readme.txt
sleepTimer/cmd_workdir=E:\\Program Files

As always, you can import the new version over the old one (which will get cleanly removed). Just make sure the timer is off.

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 02-25-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Sage Icon

Looks good, v0.5 fiexed the black screen/video pause issue I had.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Sage User

Will this plugin work correctly with SageMC?
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagee23
Will this plugin work correctly with SageMC?
Thanks.
You could try the attached version (please make a backup of your existing STV first), but no guarantee. After I read your post I made some changes to accomodate the different OSD menu name in MC.

It should work, but it won't match the "look & feel" of SageMC. I am not using SageMC myself, so I probably won't put too much effort into further integration, hope you understand.

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 03-13-2006 at 02:28 PM.