SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage

Here's a download link to a zip file that has all the files you need for a Windows Placeshifter:

http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaceshifter.zip

There's no actual install for them, just put them all in the same directory and run it. You do need to have Java installed on that system (that is the only requirement). We will be creating an installer for it as well (and will still also provide an install-less version).

Now...you say you're happy just running the UI of the Placeshifter without any video. Well that can be done on any platform that supports Java. Just copy the MiniClient.jar file http://download.sage.tv/MiniClient.jar to that system and from the command line run this in the same directory that you put the MiniClient.jar file:
java -cp MiniClient.jar sage.miniclient.MiniClient

That'll run the SageTV Placeshifter. Everything will work except for music/video playback.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

Raw TS Recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltye
...However I can now dump raw TS files, where before it would just produce a zero-byte file....
Does it really dump raw TS files? Or do you mean the special debug registry where it writes them to c:\ ? I want to be able to have sage just record HD as raw TS and do no processing of the stream.

The last beta still stripped the just the program stream that you wanted out into .ts file.

I am using BTV 4.1 Trial for HDTV now since every time I have tried recording the olympics with the latest Version it totally locked up SageTV after a short period time stopped writing all current HD recordings and worse it made SageTV unusable when this happened it will just keep recording the Analog channels where they are forever. My wife and I are getting frustrated with this. For the time being I will live with larger files over a dead PVR. I am using SageTV for the 5 Analog Tuners and BTV does the 3 HD Tuners. I just added the recording path to my imports directory and play back the files in SageTV since BTV interface and navigation sucks and so does the playback.

I do wish SageTV was smart like BTV about recording. Each tuner has its own process that just records and it is set to above normal priority so the data will get to disk. If one of the tuners dies like it did in Sage no big deal everything else is fine. So far I have recorded from 3 HD tuners simultaneously including olympics and nearly filled a 250 GB hard drive with no problems...while SageTV has hung more times than I can remeber just trying to record the olympics for more than an hour with the latest code prior to Beta 17.

Frustrated with Beta Hell,
John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Sage Icon

Is the ffmpeg included with Sage any different than the ones you find online? I know you can get a version of it that's been compiled for XP64, would that possibly help out on transcoding? (I'm thinking of using my current server as a network encoder/storage PC, and setting up my 2nd server license as the "main" server, without any tuners, so I can run it under XP64 with a dual-core proc. Set some stuff to run on the 2nd core, and some stuff to run on the primary core. See if that helps out transcoding & ShowAnalyzer..
Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Here's a download link to a zip file that has all the files you need for a Windows Placeshifter:

http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaceshifter.zip

There's no actual install for them, just put them all in the same directory and run it. You do need to have Java installed on that system (that is the only requirement). We will be creating an installer for it as well (and will still also provide an install-less version).

Now...you say you're happy just running the UI of the Placeshifter without any video. Well that can be done on any platform that supports Java. Just copy the MiniClient.jar file http://download.sage.tv/MiniClient.jar to that system and from the command line run this in the same directory that you put the MiniClient.jar file:
java -cp MiniClient.jar sage.miniclient.MiniClient

That'll run the SageTV Placeshifter. Everything will work except for music/video playback.
So I put all the files in a directory on my local machine, and run it, and will have PlaceShifter access (as long as my server is setup)? Can I use it that way, without the second part of your post, as long as I don't try and use video?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Sage Icon

That seems to work (well, not connected yet, but the application runs), after an install of Java (happened to be an install on our server at work).

So, how does the license part work. I need to buy a client license and store that on the server?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:12 AM

Wheemer you really should read the FAQ something just beciases something is free opensource that bosen't mean jack.
Q: Since FFmpeg is licensed under the LGPL, is it perfectly all right to incorporate the whole FFmpeg core into my own commercial product?
A: You might have a problem here. Sure the LGPL allows you to incorporate the code. However, there have been cases where companies have used FFmpeg in their projects, usually for such capabilities as superior MPEG-4 decoding. These companies found out that once you start trying to make money from certain technologies, the alleged owners of the technologies will come after their dues. Most notably, MPEG-LA (licensing authority) is vigilant and diligent about collecting for MPEG-related technologies.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Sage User

Just tried this from work and while I connect and get the SageTV menus.
When I select a recorded show to watch, I get audio but NO video.

I could watch the videos on the server at home (well that was with 4.1.6).

Is there some encoders I have to instal on the client side?

Anyone have an quick idea?

TIA

Kerry
nVidia FX5200, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gb DDR 400, Windows XP Pro, PVR-150MCE. 160GB IDE, DL DVD +-RW, Snapstream, Girder 4.0.1, USB-UIRT, CrystalFonz 631 LCD
Toys:
MediaMVP, Roku 1000, SA HD PVR, ReplayTV, MediaServer (1Tb SATA drives), Gigabit Switch
Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
Does it really dump raw TS files? Or do you mean the special debug registry where it writes them to c:\ ? I want to be able to have sage just record HD as raw TS and do no processing of the stream.

The last beta still stripped the just the program stream that you wanted out into .ts file.
I'm talking about the registry edit, sorry.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the reply...hopefully they will fix the bugs or add a raw ts record option. For now HD will be done by BTV....disk space is cheap...dead PVRs are usless.

John
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
So, how does the license part work. I need to buy a client license and store that on the server?
Not a client license, but a media extender license, just like for use with an MVP. Like the release notes say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
4. IMPORTANT: The licensing for the Placeshifter is done on the server. It uses the same licensing as the SageTV Media Extender. They share the same trial period as well. After the trial is up you will need to have a Media Extender license installed on the server for each simultaneous connection you want to have for either a Media Extender or a Placeshifter.
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
Is the ffmpeg included with Sage any different than the ones you find online? I know you can get a version of it that's been compiled for XP64, would that possibly help out on transcoding? (I'm thinking of using my current server as a network encoder/storage PC, and setting up my 2nd server license as the "main" server, without any tuners, so I can run it under XP64 with a dual-core proc. Set some stuff to run on the 2nd core, and some stuff to run on the primary core. See if that helps out transcoding & ShowAnalyzer..
The version of FFMPEG used in SageTV is slightly different then the ones you find online. We will be posting the code soon for it in compliance with GPL.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp24
Just tried this from work and while I connect and get the SageTV menus.
When I select a recorded show to watch, I get audio but NO video.

I could watch the videos on the server at home (well that was with 4.1.6).

Is there some encoders I have to instal on the client side?

Anyone have an quick idea?

TIA

Kerry
Make sure nothing else is using the Overlay on your video card. The Placeshifter currently uses the Overlay for video rendering (DirectDraw7 based so it's compatible w/ about any video card).
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Stuck in "Please wait" limbo!!

I have the new beta installed and can connect using the placeshifter software across a lan but across the internet, although the server is found, I get a please wait message for about 30 minutes and counting. Is this normal? How can if speed this up?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Not a client license, but a media extender license, just like for use with an MVP. Like the release notes say:

- Andy
Always pointing out the obvious. Thanks though. Now I understand.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
BTW, I love the new STV look, and the MVP works great!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Sage Icon

Is there any possibility of making Sage use a different machine for MVP/Placeshift clients other than the main server? I'd really like to be able to serve them from a seperate machine other than my older server...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is the PlaceShifter known to work through corporate proxy servers?

It works fine at home on my local network but not at work on my laptop (can't connect).

I set up the Java control panel with the proxy address and port but still no luck.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Has the linux OEM of Sage been updated to 4.1.7 as well?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage User

Hmmm... If the Placeshifting uses the MVP licenses..... Does that mean we may be able to use the MVP box as a placeshifting client in the future?

So you could take your MVP and hook it up at grandmas house and watch whats on your server?

Ok... Maybe not as your probably not streaming MPEG2 over the web.... but seems like it would be cool. Just like Voip how you can take your voip box on vacation, you could also take your HTPC with you on vacation as well.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4

- Andy
Is it just me or does it seem stupid to have the Placeshifter use the MVP license? If you are going to run it on a laptop or a computer, you most likely already have a client license.

-Matthew