SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

XP Disk Compression Helps?

Hi.

I was wondering if turning Windows XP Disk Compression on on my dedicated disks for SageTV recordings would help or not?

Since MPEG2 files are already compressed, I was wondering if disk compression would make a significant difference or not in getting more disk space?

Anyone here using WindowsXP disk compression for recordings?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

i do not use XP disk compression but I can tell you from experience (Backup software & hardware) that compressing an already compressed file is pointless. In worst case the file will get even larger then it was before.

Disk access will definitly be slower and the CPU utilization will go up because it will be busy perfoming the compression.

Don't do it. If you really need more space get a larger disk
Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltraud
Hi,

i do not use XP disk compression but I can tell you from experience (Backup software & hardware) that compressing an already compressed file is pointless. In worst case the file will get even larger then it was before.

Disk access will definitly be slower and the CPU utilization will go up because it will be busy perfoming the compression.

Don't do it. If you really need more space get a larger disk
Ok thanks. That is what I thougth but I wanted to see if anyone else had any real life experience using it.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

The Hauppauge files actually do compress some. They surprisingly will compress around 7% which is huge given they're MPEG files. Try compressing one with a zip program and you'll see what I mean.

The reason they compress this much is that there is some empty header space. An alternative to compressing would be to run the file through an editor which will remove this extra header space.

You could try compressing with the Windows XP built-in file system compression but I would think that wouldn't work very well. It would be just too CPU instensive to handle the massive amounts of data of an MPEG file.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Sage Expert

I don't think that stripping the empty header space would gain most folks anything, unless their hard drives are almost full and they have many recordings. Even still, you'd only pick up at most a few additional shows you'd be able to record (I would assume), so not really worth it, IMHO.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Compressing will just add more processor overhead to your server and decrease its performance.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to AboveUnrefined Send a message via MSN to AboveUnrefined
From experience -- if you have a good server running filesystem compression could help you out a lot because the system is just grabbing a stream off your PCI bus and copying them to disk. Bear in mind, however, that corruptions could happen a lot more easily within the filesystem (this is much more of a problem than CPU overhead) especially if the server is not rock solid.

Last edited by AboveUnrefined; 02-22-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Compressing will just add more processor overhead to your server and decrease its performance.
Exactly!

Plus hard drives are so cheap these days it just wouldn't be worth it.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Sage Icon

You could also convert the program easily with Xvid, recode or Divx if you plan to keep them for a while.
For example, Running a 3.2GB file through Nero Recode using Standard ASP at 700kbps leaves me with a file around 360MB, 270MB if I strip out the commercials first and takes about an hour on my P4 3.0ghz half that time using my AMD 4800+.
If you do not want to compress you could still strip out commercials and save about 25% that way.

Last edited by dvd_maniac; 02-22-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
If you do not want to compress you could still strip out commercials and save about 25% that way.
Yeap! I sure would like to do that in an automated way, but I am not sure how to. I have VideoRedo which gets rid of commercials but lost on how to automated that.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Sage Expert

I would not recommend doing any automated commercial removal. ShowAnalyzer, probably the best at commercial detection, can get you to about 95% or so success on finding the commercials and marking them so that SageTV can skip them. Now, there may be a program out there that could take what ShowAnalyzer finds and use SA's output to strip out the commercials and leave just the show, but again, I wouldn't recommend doing this without you actually checking the commercial breaks first...