SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Control Web Browser w/Remote

Is there a way to control IE with my Hauppauge remote control?
If so, are there any threads here explaining how to?

Reason is, I have installed the RSS reader and it opens the web browser. If I'm watching my other TV, I can't use the Main Box that has SageTV installed.

Basically, It would be nice to just be able to Scroll in the browser and then be able to Exit the browsers. Just two options.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 AM
SageTVaholic

See this thread on how to entend the Hauppauge remote for other applications...

You probably want a section in the irremote.ini so that if iexplore.exe is active, then up/down/left/right send up/down/left/right, and another button sends ALT-F4, or CTRL-W
Old 03-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by domc
Is there a way to control IE with my Hauppauge remote control?
If so, are there any threads here explaining how to?

Reason is, I have installed the RSS reader and it opens the web browser. If I'm watching my other TV, I can't use the Main Box that has SageTV installed.

Basically, It would be nice to just be able to Scroll in the browser and then be able to Exit the browsers. Just two options.
What would be really cool would be if they built in a browser interface into the "Online Services" that allowed you to create a list of favorites to browse (or type in an address). It could use Sage native support for the UIRT to "jump" up and down the page and from link to link like my Windows Mobile phone does
Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

I have an elaborate menu and display system that runs on a PC who's output goes to the TV video-in. Same TV that we use to view Sage; I have two video-inputs on AUX1 and AUX2, one from each PC.

The menu and display system I have allows the family to go to any web site that I put into the menus- and these menus are simple text files. These web sites include webcams in cities around the world we've visited, weather maps, weather stations in friends' cities, and so on.

The menu choices are made using the same remote we use for the TV. That remote "talks" to the TV and to an "IRman" which converts IR to RS232 messages.

The software that does this is written by me in VB6. I've evolved it over several years. The web browser embedded in my application uses the Internet Explorer "engine"; that's the rendering part of IE, minus all the user interface. With this, and a lot of work, I've figured out how to assure that pop-ups are blocked and the IE engine is managed so it doesn't hang up. And that javascript and pre-defined ActiveX (that I approve) are used- these are needed for some webcams.

I also have an electronic program guide for TV shows. I had this long before Sage. The way I format the guide data to get a high WAF, is much different than Sage and its equivalents. I get the data in XML from Zap2It from my VB6 code. Again, this was done some 2 years ago, before Sage.

Another thing this software does is a family photo slide show - where it has menus that list only newly received photos. As photos come in by email from the family, I just save them to a certain set of folders (by family name). The slide show viewer menus allow you to see the new ones. I could not find any slide show software that does this, and that doesn't require any "authoring" work for a slide show. I also parse the "EXIF" metadata to get the date/time of the photo, not the file creation date. And resize to fit 800x600, and rotate if needed (again the metadata).

Anyway, that's what I've done re this topic.
----------------------

One of the reasons I got Sage was to see if I could merge this software with the menu systems in Sage, and hook in my IE engine management and slide show software. I haven't had time to dig this deep.

Last edited by stevech; 03-16-2006 at 09:18 PM.