SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:11 PM

Web UI/Webserver problem with proxy server

I am using the Sage web user interface along with having it act as a webserver to server some web pages. Everything works great everywhere, accept behind my company's proxy server. Since my company's proxy server only listens on port 80 (typical HTML traffic), I configured (in the sage.properties file) for the webserver to work on port 80 and not 8080. What I am seeing (while using port 8080 or port 80) is that some of html files are coming thru with other's return an error saying "requested URL could not be retrieved: Invalid response". All files are in the same directory. One at least one picture that was 87K it said something different like "file too large."

So, my question is really about the Web UI/webserver. What could possibly be going wrong there? It seems like if I am using port 80, then it should act like any other website/webserver. I have a friend in the company running an apache webserver on a linux box at home running on port 80 and I am able to see his web pages just fine. This leads me to believe that there is something unique about this webserver that is not fully compatible with port 80 and/or my company's proxy server (SQUID).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard

AMD 2600, 512MB, Haup 150, nvidia 5600, XP, SageTV 4.1
Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I have squid2.4 at work (as reported by www.whatismyipaddress.com), and it works fine on both 80 and 8080.

My work also has another proxy (manufacturer unknown), but this can only access websites on port 80, but this also works with the Sage webserver.

You could try accessing through an anonymising proxy...
Old 03-17-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
I have squid2.4 at work (as reported by www.whatismyipaddress.com), and it works fine on both 80 and 8080.

My work also has another proxy (manufacturer unknown), but this can only access websites on port 80, but this also works with the Sage webserver.

You could try accessing through an anonymising proxy...
nielm,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, whatismyipaddress.com detects my proxy and reports squid 2.5 as well as listening to port 8080.

I really like the Sage Webserver. It fits my application perfectly. The password protection works great and even comes through my company's proxy server. Then I am able to view my top page and the picture on the top page, but then when I try to look at some other pages one directory down then I start having problems (some stuff comes through and other stuff doesn't).

It shouldn't have anything to do with the password stuff right?

Also, what did you mean by accessing through and anonymous proxy? Is that something I can do at work? Also, is there anyway to turn on some data logging or something to see what is going wrong?

thanks,
Richard
Old 03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Is all the sage webserver stuff working with no problems, and it is only your extra stuff that's not?

The password stuff should not be broken by a proxy...

Are you doing anything special like throttleing?

Logging: there is a log directory with error logs, and you can turn on access logging in Sage.properties
Old 03-17-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
Is all the sage webserver stuff working with no problems, and it is only your extra stuff that's not?

The password stuff should not be broken by a proxy...

Are you doing anything special like throttleing?

Logging: there is a log directory with error logs, and you can turn on access logging in Sage.properties
To be more specific, only parts (what's currently playing, hard drive space used, force EPG update, but no menus) of the SageTV web interface comes up behind my company's firewall and proxy server. For now I am ignoring that and focusing on my simple web pages that I am trying to get the Sage webserver to serve up with some web pages with pictures of my kids that are password protected. No throttling. It works like a champ outside the company and I am extemely happy with it, but inside it is only partially working. What is weird is that other people with different webservers can access their web pages from within the company with no problem.

Not that it should make any difference, but my files are not in the webserver root directory. I followed directions and added the path in the aliases.properties file so that it could find the files.

I'll try the turning on the logging to see if it turns up anything.

thanks for your help,
Richard

Last edited by rputman; 03-17-2006 at 05:36 PM.