SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

MCE Remote : some buttons not working

Hi,

I tried the MCE remote with SageTV V4.1.10 and most buttons are working well but some other not:
- TV power
Some other do not work well:
- delete
- #

Does somebody else see the same problem?
Thanks

Ferdinand
Old 03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Sage User

Can help with some...

Google cache with instructions for the TV and volume keys

Hope that helps...
Old 03-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Sage User

If your MCE remote keys won't work after the first press...

While trying the MCE remote under XP, I found out that SageTV wouldn't respond to repeated single key presses on any of the buttons. That is, if I repeatedly pressed the down arrow button, SageTV would only respond to the first press, and ignore the others. If I pressed another key and then the down arrow, it would work again for the first press only. But, if I just pressed and held a key, it would repeat normally after a few seconds.

Googling the problem shows that Windows apparently is looking for a toggled remote, where each key toggles between 2 IR codes on the odd and even key presses. All I can figure is that my new MCE 2005 remote is not sending toggled codes. So after the first keypress, Windows was somehow getting confused and ignoring the rest.

Googling some more revealed a registry key named "EnableDebounce" which controls this function, when it is set to a value of one.

Using RegEdit, you can use the Find and Find Next menu choices to search for all occurrences of EnableDebounce and change the value from one to zero.

On my XP box, after replacing all the entries and rebooting, the MCE remote now works fine with SageTV.

Others have said this also fixes problems with programming the MCE codes into a learnng remote such as a Pronto.

If you are using MCE, the TweakMCE power toy from Microsoft apparently allows you to change this value without having to open the registry.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I highly recommend checking out HIP for your MCE remote needs.

http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/mce_remote_faq.htm

Using HIP and the alternate MCE remote driver i'm able to control Sage, my TV, and my reciever at the same time without any issues.

Let me know if you have any HIP questions and i'll try and help you out.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

With the latest beta Sage TV natively supports all of the MCE remote buttons using the default MCE remote system driver.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Sage Icon

I think evilpenguin is saying that he has much more control with HIP. With the built in support, you can only control Sage with the remote. With HIP or Girder, you can control basically anything (a TV, stereo, etc) with the MCE remote.

As for me, I'm sticking with Girder. I've already paid for it, it's working fine now, and I just don't see a need to change it .
Old 03-20-2006, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I have a lot of extra stuff working with HIP that you couldn't do nativly.

For instance, my power button, has two states.

1) Turn on TV, change it to component input, turn on the reciever, change it to HTPC input, and resets the volume to a default level.

2) Sleep sage, turn off TV, turn off reciever.

If that's the kind of stuff you're looking to do, HIP is the free way to go.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I do not use HIP yet but as from v4.1.10, MCE remote should be supported natively, this problem should not occur. So if you have the same problem (without any HIP or Girder), then it's a bug. Else, it's my config...
this is just for a test as I normally using Girder with a Firefly remote...
Old 03-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Sage Expert

I'm trying an MCE remote with latest beta and IRTrans (built into OriginAE and Zalman cases) and the only buttons that work are the arrows, ok, numbers and start.

About to switch to USB-UIRT and HIP unless anyone has any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:01 PM
SageTVaholic

It's only going to work natively with all the buttons if you're using the MCE Remote receiver. Not other third-party receivers.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the clarification.

Had mixed success using HIP, IRTrans and MCE Remote last night. Tried a sample config posted on these forums which didn't work at all. Tried rescanning various buttons but no joy. After deleting and recreating profiles a few times its started working, now need to back track and identify what did the trick!