SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Sage User

USB-UIRT Not changing Channels Correctly

I am running version 4.1.3.1. I have a Motorola DCT 2249 STB that is controlled by a USB-UIRT sometimes the STB will get set to the wrong channel. I have noticed that when the problem happens it is because the numbers are not being sent fast enough. Is there a way to improve the reliability of the channel changing or is this a problem I just have to live with.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Sage User

I'm having the same issue with my MCE IR blaster. Even if I play with the delay between commands, sometimes the numbers are received, sometimes they are not.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Sage User

I would really like to use a serial connection however I cannot get my cable company to even admit there is a serial port on the Motorola box I know its there I can see it.

Does anyone know why the cable companies do not like to enable the serial connection on the STB. To me this does not seem like such a big deal but trying to work with the cable company is like pulling hen's teeth.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Same here. I have an Actisys IR200L and often my STB does not get the right channel. I've tried everything I can think of with no luck. Anybody have a magical recipe? And likewise, my cable company (Comcast) refuses to even acknowledge that RS232 cable boxes exists.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Sage Icon

I don't see the problem. Just build a serial cable and hook it into the cable box. You don't need anything from your cable company, just do it. The RS232 pins are very standard so you just hook Tx Out to Rx In, Rx In to Tx Out and ground and you are done.

Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Sage User

Mike1961 I have tried and cannot get the serial interface to work.

Do you have it working? If so would you please share this information sounds like there a lot of folks that would like to know. Also I have been told in the past that if your cable company does not activate the serial interface your just lot of luck. Also would you know a easy way to test the serial connection to see if it is working.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

I'll tell you - I currently have Satellite and love it. I have the D10-100 DirecTv receivers and they work great. But, when I had cable, I was able to control both the upstairs and downstairs boxes via serial without a problem. You may have to build a cable but it's pretty simple. I posted a diagram on this forum for DirecTv D10-100 users. But, in your situation, it may or may not be different. In general, here's what I would do:

1. You need to use 3 conductors of the 9 on the db9 serial cable. You need Ground (gnd), Transmit (Tx), Receive (RV).

2. When running the cable from your cable box to the Com port on your computer, ground goes to ground, Tx on your computer goes to Rv on your cable box and RV on your computer goes to TX on your cable box.

3. Look up the pins for standard RS232 serial cables for which pins control Gnd, TX and RV. Next, you can double check them with a multimeter to make sure ground is ground and TX and RV have voltage. Remember this (if you are an amateur like I was) when reading a chart on which one is TX or RV they are referring to the Male pins for a db9 so the female side has everything reversed.

Mike