SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Sage User

Static on some channels

My lower channels are full of static and fuzz. The lower the channel, the worse it is. Channel 2 and 3 are unwatchable, 4 is horrible, 5 is tolerable, and 6 and above are fine. This is non-digital cable. I've got the coax coming in from the wall, into a 2 way splitter, and each split on it's own 3 foot cord into my 2 TV cards.

I had this problem a few months back, but I discovered that it was caused by having the splitter too close to the computer. Or so I thought, as moving it away cleared it up. But the splitter is still the full 3 feet away, and the problem has returned.

Isn't Coax shielded? I thought moving it away fixes the problem, but as I said, it's returned, and it's interfering with my Lost viewing.

Ideas?
1.0 TB of television storage goodness
Hauppage PVR-250 + PVR-150
Old 03-21-2006, 05:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortanis
I had this problem a few months back, but I discovered that it was caused by having the splitter too close to the computer. Or so I thought, as moving it away cleared it up. But the splitter is still the full 3 feet away, and the problem has returned.
The connectors on the coax may not be connected good. If moving it "fixed it" before, then it's possible that the connection is bad and moving it jiggled it into a position where it made better contact.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Sage Icon

If you are going through Coax cable and not using a cable box then you could have an entirely different problem. Sage is tuning to certain frequencies that are NTSC compliant and your cable company may have slightly offshifted those frequencies. When that happens, the channel comes in totally fuzzy and unwatchable. I had this problem a while back and fixed it using the Frequency Fixer. However, for me, all that is a null issue now because everything is now going through my cable boxes anyway. But, if you search for the thread on "fuzzy channels" you will find the solution I came to a little while back.

Mike
Old 03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage User

I've browsed through your threads on the subject, and it definetly sounds similar. I've downloaded the program, gotten the list of channel frequencies from Microsoft, and I'll give it a shot when I get home from work. Here's to hoping!

Thanks!
1.0 TB of television storage goodness
Hauppage PVR-250 + PVR-150
Old 03-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Sage Icon

Honesly though I have to say - originally I went this route because I didn't want the hassle of rigging cable boxes to Sage because I thought it would be too much trouble to get Sage to channel the channel on the cable box. As it turns out, as long as your cable box has a serial connection in the back, it's really easy. There are many reasons to go directly through the cable box as listed below:

1. Access to all channels and not just 2-99 (or 2-125).
2. Better reception because composite video or SVideo has a better picture than Coax.
3. You avoid the problem of fuzzy channels.

The only reason to go coax is for convenience of the initial setup, less cable boxes to rent because you can use a splitter. I'd be more than happy to help you out if you want to go Coax but ever since I just decided to use cable boxes, I'm much happier now. A while back before I set up the boxes, the good news is I found that ALL the channels are shifted off the same amount in terms of frequency. So, I wrote a program to offset some 75 channels to the correct frequency because I didn't feel like typing in all the numbers. But, the caveat that makes things really wierd is when you offset one channel to the correct frequency, it's like Sage knows and is then able to automaticaly tune the other channels IF you have already watched the first channel (until you exit Sage). So, you still have to do it for all the channels. For me, it seemed to be about all channels above 23. At first it was just a few but then got worse. I think it has to do with the cable companies having both an analog and a digital frequency. This is all a moot point to me now because I use the STBs but I can help you if you think that is what is going on. The channel is basically totally fuzzy and there is no volume at all - you cannot hear what they are saying. Again - consider just using the cable box.

Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 07:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Just since I didn't see this mentioned....Check to make sure you don't have your coax cables anywhere near any powercords. Every so often I lose my channel 2 and channel 13 (by lose I mean they become a static mess) and it is always because I recently moved my sage box slighly and now the coax cables are in contact with a powercord. A quick shift of the coax cables away and tada!!!!...You may want to check to see what type of coax cables you are using. If you are using RG59 then I recommend ordering some cheap cables from http://www.cablewholesale.com (no I do not work for them, just a frequent flier) and pick up some RG6. The insulation on RG6 cables are drastically better and can make a world of difference.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

That sounds more like a faulty cable or faulty coax connector on the tuner card to me.

Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Sage User

i want to laugh

I just hooked up my HTPC in my new house, and a bunch of channels aren't coming through that work just fine on my normal TV, without using my PVR 150. I get channels 1-23 pretty good, but after that many of them are fuzzy that shouldn't be. I get some sound, but unwatchable snowy picture. I tried moving the splitter (I also have a cable modem) around, no big differences, and the Coax cables I'm using are nice and new. What's the deal? Sage is seeing that I should be getting to these channels, and I can tune to them, but they are fuzzy.
I tried fine tuning in WinTV and the sound got a little better, but the picture didn't change at all. Please help! Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Sage Icon

Punkhop - you definitely have the "fuzzy channel" problem where you need to fix it one of two ways:

1. Get the FreqFixer and offset the channels per the other thread I posted info on a while back called "fuzzy channels" You must offset the NTSC frequencies so that the channels above 23 will come in without a problem.

2. Keep your channel on channel 3 and have Sage tune the channels through the cable box instead of using a splitter without the box.

Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Sage User

freak

Hey Mike -
Where/how can I get my hands on the FreqFixer app, and how can I figure out how much to offset the frequencies by? I tried using the fine tuning in WinTV and it didn't do very much.
It is likely that the problem is my frequencies, as I live in a pretty old house with CATV hookups that surely haven't been upgraded in years. Also, I don't have a cable box.
Will the FreqFixer app fine tune my channels automatically, or do I have to put in crazy hex values, or what? I'd love the app and some semi-details instructions. Thanks brother.

Last edited by PunkHop; 03-30-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage Icon

I'm confused - are you having this problem when you change the channels through the cable box as well? Also, is this problem only when you watch TV through Sage or also through the WinTV app?

Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Sage User

I don't have a cable box. I go straight from the wall to my PVR 150.
When I channel scan in WinTV or Sage, many channels (mostly after 23) come in really fuzzy. I tried the built in fine tuning option in WinTV, and the sound got a tiny bit better, but the picture was just as snowy.

Anybody? This is driving my cah-razy.

Last edited by PunkHop; 04-02-2006 at 05:19 PM.