SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Sage User

SageTV Directory feature request

Migrating from the ReplayTV world, there is one shortcoming in SageTV that I still find annoying: The limited and restrictive ability to organize recordings.

For example, it would be very desirable to have a more robust hierarchy of folders that could be named in an arbitrary manner. Also, the ability to assign (or re-assign) a category to a particular show would be very useful (the EPG assignments are often inappropriate). Additionally, allowing shows to be listed in multiple categories (or directories) would also be useful to better support multiple users within a household.

Here's an example of what I'm suggesting:

SageTV Recordings

Barry's Shows
Cars
Motorweek
April 1 FordGT review
April 8 Isetta 350 review
Monster Garage
Great Cars
Science
SciFi
Stupid Sitcoms

Michelle's Shows
Food
Cooking With Rachael
April 4 Tangy Tuna
April 11 Healthy Pastas
Emeril Live
International Eating
Good Eats
Drama
Travel
Family Shows
Comedy
Cop Shows
Drama
Medical
House
ER
Grey's Anatomy
News
60 Minutes
20/20
Science
Serials
New Shows
Old 04-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

That would be pretty cool, but might make it confusing with all the settings. I assume this would be done in the "Series Settings" interface, and that somehow, you would have to create the folders, so that they would show up in "Series Settings."
Old 04-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
I assume this would be done in the "Series Settings" interface, and that somehow, you would have to create the folders, so that they would show up in "Series Settings."
georgecko, please point me to where I can find out more about the "Series Settings" interface. I couldn't find any mention of it in a quick search of the Forum or the manual (other than referring to episodes of a TV series). Thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush
georgecko, please point me to where I can find out more about the "Series Settings" interface. I couldn't find any mention of it in a quick search of the Forum or the manual (other than referring to episodes of a TV series). Thanks.
That's what I was talking about, episodes of a TV series.

When you find a show you want to watch, and instead of watching it, select "Record Series," then the option of "Series Settings" appears, well, at least, it does when using SageMC 16x9 (a custom STV in the STV Customizations section in the forum).
Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

You cannot currently create any settings that tell SageTV where to place recordings of specific shows -- it will automatically choose which video recording directory to use when recording a show.

(There is a newer property to specify which dirs can be used for recordings from a specific tuner, but that is tuner based, not based on the show.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
You cannot currently create any settings that tell SageTV where to place recordings of specific shows -- it will automatically choose which video recording directory to use when recording a show.

(There is a newer property to specify which dirs can be used for recordings from a specific tuner, but that is tuner based, not based on the show.)

- Andy
Oh, I thought he was talking about "sorting" not really putting the files in a specific location... (Kind of like ID3 tags on MP3's...)

My bad.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
You cannot currently create any settings that tell SageTV where to place recordings of specific shows...
Opus4, Does the word "currently" imply that this may not be a limitation in the near future?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush
Does the word "currently" imply that this may not be a limitation in the near future?
It just means 'as of right now' w/o any other implied meaning.

I try not to give subtle hints of what may or may not be coming - if SageTV says it is OK to talk about something, I mention it; otherwise, I don't. So... the word 'currently' should not be read to imply anything about what the future may or may not bring. (I also don't like to say that something isn't & never will be a feature.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

While it won't give you exactly what you want, you should check out the Malore Recording style from the hidden extras. It will at least arrange recorded shows into their own folders (would be considered your third sub folder). This is just how it's displayed in sage though, the shows are still recorded to the same windows directory.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Sage User

Thanks dbfresh23. I'm currently using the Malore Recording style. And yes, it's a nice step toward the direction I'm requesting.

I've also considered repurposing the Archived recordings category so I can use it to at least separate shows that only I watch from the "Family Shows" recordings. Sort of a second catetgory. Of course it appears to require a manual operation (i.e. setting a newly recorded show to archive)...kind of a pain.