SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Sage User

MP4 and Placeshifter

Here is something strange. I use Germsage to launch an external viewer when I watch my MP4's. I've never been able to get Sage to handle them correctly internally. I installed the release candidate yesterday and didn't notice that it removed GermSage. I launched Placeshifter and was testing it out (Very easy install, both the network connection and remote IP worked well.) I thought I would try my externals to see how it handled the MP4s and Neroshowtime. Well since Sage had turned off my externals, it ran them internally, and they worked. Showed up perfectly in Placeshifter! So I ran them direclty from the server. No go. Wouldn't work. Loaded GermSage and external viewers. Fine. Tried it on Placeshifter. No go with external viewer. Disabled external viewer. MP4's worked fine in PlaceShifter.

Anyway, any idea as to why this would be. Not complaining, but it seems that if it can run in placeshifter with default settings, it should work on the server.

Also, I have a licensed copy of Client that I have never used and want to use it as my placeshifter client. How do I register it and get the "Trial" message off the screen.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by codacoda

Also, I have a licensed copy of Client that I have never used and want to use it as my placeshifter client. How do I register it and get the "Trial" message off the screen.

Yea, can this be done?
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

The reason it works with Placeshifter is because the video is Transcoded before it is sent but on the Server or Regular client it tries to play the file directly.

BobP.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball
Yea, can this be done?
Nope. Client licenses and Extender/Placeshifter licenses are different and cannot be interchanged.

Andy.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

I have been hesitant in upgrading to a placeshifter enabled version because all my imported video is encoded to AVC mp4. Are you saying that placeshifter can transcode these videos? or are you talking about ASP version of mp4?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
Are you saying that placeshifter can transcode these videos?
No.

Quote:
or are you talking about ASP version of mp4?
Yes.

Quote:
Well since Sage had turned off my externals, it ran them internally, and they worked. Showed up perfectly in Placeshifter! So I ran them direclty from the server. No go. Wouldn't work.
This is why I thought it must be transcoding them.

The FFMPEG documentation (Supported File Formats and Codecs) shows MPEG-4 as supported and since Sage's Placeshifter uses a modified version of FFMPEG I am making an assumption that FFMPEG will play ASP MP4's. If not then I appologize for misleading everybody.

BobP.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Sage

The Placeshifter uses a different MediaPlayer than SageTV so it can handle more file formats in some cases; they don't even need to be transcoded sometimes.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Sage User

What I'm saying is that I have basic SageTV, and the placeshifter client. On SageTV (Server) I have to shell out to another program to run. On Placeshiter, I have to turn external off all together and it runs perfectly.

I really don't see why if it can run in Placeshifter, it can't run on the server.

I guess I'll expect the earlier explanation, but I really don't see why that has to be.

Quote:
I have been hesitant in upgrading to a placeshifter enabled version because all my imported video is encoded to AVC mp4. Are you saying that placeshifter can transcode these videos? or are you talking about ASP version of mp4?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Sage User

Then I guess I need to get my money back (I only bought client 4 days ago and it just doesn't deliver). On the other had shifter is fine.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Sage User

MP4 and Placeshifter/Client

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
The Placeshifter uses a different MediaPlayer than SageTV so it can handle more file formats in some cases; they don't even need to be transcoded sometimes.
Jerry,

Does the same hold true for the Client. I'm assuming it must, because I can play all of my Nero Recode DVDs (MP4) on my client perfectly, but have to use an external player for the main server.

Is there a way for me to use the same media player on the server that is on the client and placeshifter?

Brett Martin
Old 05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Jerry,

Does the same hold true for the Client. I'm assuming it must, because I can play all of my Nero Recode DVDs (MP4) on my client perfectly, but have to use an external player for the main server.

Is there a way for me to use the same media player on the server that is on the client and placeshifter?

Brett Martin
If your MP4's are ASP format you might try 3ivx. I've been able to playback ASP MP4's on my SageTV Server (versions 3 or 4). Haven't tried it with version 5 yet.

BobP.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
If your MP4's are ASP format you might try 3ivx. I've been able to playback ASP MP4's on my SageTV Server (versions 3 or 4). Haven't tried it with version 5 yet.

BobP.
I did install 3ivx, but Sage doesn't offer it as an option to use as a decoder. I'll try again.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I did install 3ivx, but Sage doesn't offer it as an option to use as a decoder. I'll try again.
As soon as I get a window I will try again myself. I don't remember what the codec options were in Sage so I can't help with that yet sorry.

BobP.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Sage Expert

Theres actualy a fix for MP4 playback in sage:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...0&postcount=11 (post #11)

Actualy you only need the 2nd of the 3 download packages (if you get the "full" matroska pack). Just make sure you click the + next to Haali splitter then click mp4. Alternativley just dl all 3, and get matroska lite, the default installs work fine.

I have mp4 playback including Nero AVC, and x.264 working great in SageTV, ive even played back some encoded to 1280x720p. FINALLY i will get around to encoding all my DVD's and TV.

Oh and you need to set SageTV to use the default video codec. It automaticaly switches to ffdshow for mp4, and nvidia (for me) for mpeg2.

Last edited by lobosrul; 06-06-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul

Actualy you only need the 2nd of the 3 download packages (if you get the "full" matroska pack). Just make sure you click the + next to Haali splitter then click mp4. Alternativley just dl all 3, and get matroska lite, the default installs work fine.

I have mp4 playback including Nero AVC, and x.264 working great in SageTV, ive even played back some encoded to 1280x720p. FINALLY i will get around to encoding all my DVD's and TV.

Oh and you need to set SageTV to use the default video codec. It automaticaly switches to ffdshow for mp4, and nvidia (for me) for mpeg2.
But I don't see where the Thread mentions that this will work on a client. Does it?

Right now I don't need AVC format just ASP - but on a client.

BobP.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Sage Expert

Hmm, the original poster said he has this working on a client, but not the server. I was posting a solution for mp4 playback on the server mahcine.
Nero ASP works fine as well if thats what you were asking.

I have no way of testing anything on a Placeshifter client (ive already used up my demo period and dont really have a desire to buy a liscense).

I would try the Matroska (full) pack on the client machine if i were you.

One last thing, I can encode DVD's fine using nero, however if I encode mpg's saved by SageTV, the sound become unsynched by atleast a full second. But using x.264 (staxrip) the sound is synched fine. Just letting anyone know who encounteres this, you have an alternative.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hmm, the original poster said he has this working on a client, but not the server. I was posting a solution for mp4 playback on the server mahcine.
Nero ASP works fine as well if thats what you were asking.

I have no way of testing anything on a Placeshifter client (ive already used up my demo period and dont really have a desire to buy a liscense).

I would try the Matroska (full) pack on the client machine if i were you.

One last thing, I can encode DVD's fine using nero, however if I encode mpg's saved by SageTV, the sound become unsynched by atleast a full second. But using x.264 (staxrip) the sound is synched fine. Just letting anyone know who encounteres this, you have an alternative.
Good point. I will have to try this.

BobP.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Sage User

Quote:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Finally!! It is a thing of beauty! Wow, am I happy!

Have you ever figued out how to get sub-titles to work?

Brett
Old 06-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage Expert

I havent actualy done this, but I believe you turn them on (along with switching to secondary audio), from ffdshow. Right click on the black logo while SageTV is playing the file, should be in that menu. Im at work right now so I cant actualy look.

The problem for me is, I use full screen exclusive mode, and SageTV crashes when going from a window to full screen. So i cant switch the audio and then go back to full screen D: .
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Sage User

Quote:

I havent actualy done this, but I believe you turn them on (along with switching to secondary audio), from ffdshow. Right click on the black logo while SageTV is playing the file, should be in that menu. Im at work right now so I cant actualy look.

The problem for me is, I use full screen exclusive mode, and SageTV crashes when going from a window to full screen. So i cant switch the audio and then go back to full screen D: .
No I gave up on subtitles in MP4 AVC. Only only need them for Foreign films, so I use a divx encoder (CloneDVDMobile by SlySoft) and force subtitles. They are permanent that way, but hey it's a foreign lanugage film!