SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Sage User

where to find id? cant find anything.

Hello,

I just tried placeshifter with newest version the other day. I can connect and watch tv with my wireless laptop when transcoded in the house, pretty cool.

I'm trying to find the unique ID so i can get in from outside the house. I've looked in both places it says to look, but can't find it. Its not in system info and its not in advanced under detailed setup. What am I doing wrong?

I read about using the configuation setup utility to configure everything and i ran through that and didn't see anything different.

I'm using the newest beta v4.1.14 on both the placeshifter and the server computer.

Also, which port do i need to open to allow sage to send out info? Is there anyplace to look for this info than the release page?

only other thing is that i have the server set to enabled, but have never run an extra client other than the actual server machine.

thanks,
oz
Old 04-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Sage User

You dont see the ID under Detailed Setup - Advanced - Placershifter Locator ID?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Sage User

i'm logging in to check again. never did see it, but i'll look one last time. is it at the top or bottom of the advanced list?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Sage User

ok, well i looked in the properties in the sage folder and found the id, and i found the port that i'm supposed to open, 31099 right? anyway, when i put that in it does log me on, and the brings up the log in screen. i guess i need to make a new user and password for the server, need to figure out how to do that now.

also, i did just upgrade the stuff a few days ago. however, it says sage.properties.4.1.10 as one of the files, instead of 4.1.14, so maybe it never overwrote the files like it should have. if i can get this to work, i'll knock off all the files and just reinstall everything so i know they are the latest versions.

anyone feel free to yell if i'm doing something wrong, from what i understand, i should be able to watch tv on my laptop at home on one connection, and then at work on the same laptop. not sure why i need another user. oh well.

thanks so far.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezero
I'm trying to find the unique ID so i can get in from outside the house. I've looked in both places it says to look, but can't find it. Its not in system info and its not in advanced under detailed setup. What am I doing wrong?
make sure you are using the default SageTV3.xml STV file that came with the latest version.

Quote:
Also, which port do i need to open to allow sage to send out info? Is there anyplace to look for this info than the release page?
On the server, not the Placeshifter, choose "Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection", also in the Detailed Setup -> Advaned section. It will show you the port details & allow you to test the connection. You can use UPnP to open the ports, or you can do it manually.

Edit: I think you found some or all of the info while I was typing.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Sage User

thanks for the help.

i'm going to try to reinstall it fresh to only have 4.1.14 files on the server. where do i find my registrations code before i delete everything?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator

If you see "4.1.10" as part of a file name, that is just an automatic backup copy that SageTV creates when you install & run a new version. I doubt you need to do a reinstall.

Your registration codes are in your email(s) from when you purchased SageTV; they are not retrievable from the PC after you register the license. But, you do not need to re-enter it again when you install a new version on the same computer.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Sage User

ok, i probably screwed things up worse. i uninstalled everything on the server, reinstalled sagetv 4.1.14 and now i can see the selected settings in detailed setup like i'm supposed to.

it now lists my unique ID in sage, but i can't get onto the server with my laptop at work or at home on the wireless router.

I have port 31099 set to 192.168.1.100, which is my server computer address. however, i don't really see a way to set the port to 0 like its says in sage. I have a linksys router if that makes a difference. (I've been meaning to update the firmware, but now is probalby not the best time )

I've checked the windows firewall, its set to let sage through. i'll go back and double check the settings. I tried the upnp but i'm not sure the linksys is compatible with it.

thanks for the help so far.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have port 31099 set to 192.168.1.100, which is my server computer address. however, i don't really see a way to set the port to 0 like its says in sage.
Where in SageTV is it saying the port is 0? What is on the screen at that point? A screen shot would be helpful to know what you are referring to because I don't know of any place where a port number would be 0.

Port forwarding is a configuration setting for your router to forward what it receives from the internet (port 31099 for the placeshifter client) to your SageTV server (the local IP address of that PC). Is the IP address of your SageTV PC 192.168.1.100?

If your router doesn't support UPnP, you may need to consult its manual regarding how to manually configure port forwarding.

- Andy
Old 04-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Sage User

still not working.

nevermind about the zero part. not sure where that came from. have some more time to mess with it so i'll go back and read the config stuff in the other posts.

i do have upnp set to enable on my router. is there a place to show that it is setup correctly? i go into detailed setup and enable the auto upnp and it "does" it, but the verification fails for some unknown reason.

anything else you would recommend?

when i am in the placeshifter servers manager, should i be using the unique ID or the actual address, because neither seem to work for me right now. I assume if I use the address section, i should type 192.168.1.100:31099, correct?

I guess i don't quite understand how the unique ID thing works. What is sage actually doing when it checks to see if the placeshifter is setup correctly?
I don't feel like i'm a complete idiot, I've setup ftp servers and remotely anywhere correctly. Just seems strange.

thanks again.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

When the connection test fails, what error does it show? You should be able to look on your router to see what UPnP ports are configured on it. If that is set OK, double check that your SageTV PC's firewall allows SageTV access on that port number.

For the PS server manager, either the Locator ID or the address should work. I think you only need to specify ":<port number>" if the port is a custom number, but the :31099 shouldn't hurt either. But, when trying to connect via the internet, you'll need to use your external IP address -- which should also be reported on the PC connection wizard screen.

The Locator ID is sent to SageTV, along with your IP address, so that the PS client can get your actual IP address when you are away from home. The connection test on the wizard screen simply asks SageTV's computer to try connecting to your SageTV server to see if the PS client will be able to do so.

- Andy
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Sage Icon

Just to clarify, if you know your current IP address, you do not need to know your Locator ID. If you have have a static IP, a "stable" dynamic IP that rarely changes, or have an Dynamic DNS service, then you can just pop that address into the placeshifter client and connect without having to remember your Locator ID. Assuming that you still have the correct ports forwarded to the Sage server.

I have my own registered domain and have a DDNS client that updates my dynamic IP address to zoneedit.com which hosts my DNS servers. I just type in sage.mydomain.com and it works. If you don't have your own domain, then you can get a free no-ip.com account. A small no-ip.com client runs on the server keeping track of your current IP address. Then, you can use a domain name like JacksHouse.no-ip.com to connect.

Once you have constant IP address resolution to you home, then you can do stuff like running remote desktop or VNC. Being able to log into your home computer when ever you want, where ever you are, opens up all sorts of possibilities.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Sage User

thanks for the help.

I had done that a while back actually, but didn't use it enough and it expired. I do have a dynamic ip, but its been the same for about 3+ months now.

I'm starting to think its a problem with the router. I actually got sagetv to connect successfully one time, the rebooted and it didn't work again.

It seems like such an easy thing to do, i just don't feel as if the router is actually doing what its supposed to do, can't figure out why.

I really have no idea why it won't work if i just type in 192.168.1.100:31099, or whatever i have port forwarded in the router, and also selected in sagetv for the placeshifter function. i really need to update the firmware but my roommate is still on his laptop. don't want to loose the internet completely

i'm probably done messing tonight but i'm sure i'll be back with more questions.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Sage Icon

Read the thread a couple times and I think I see the problem.

I think the problem is that you are putting in the wrong IP address. the 192.168.1.100 will only work inside your network, which it does on your laptop.

But once you go outside the network, then you have to use your external IP address, not 192.168.1.100. If you have port 31099 in your router forwarded to your server at 192.168.1.100, then all you should need to do is put in the external IP address into the placeshifter client.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Sage User

I guess I never made that point. Thanks for the help, first of all. I do realize that locally I need to use 192.168.1.100 and then when I am at work or elsewhere I need to use the IP given to me by my service provider. I also assume I need to add the :31099 extention onto the end of the IP so the router will direct it to 192.168.1.100, which is currently my server computer. I have tried it both ways and neither works.

The problem remains, I have used port forwarding on my linksys router to open port 31099 and have it forwarded to 192.168.1.100. I also have the sagetv application checked in the windows xp firewall, so that should not be the problem.

If anyone is familiar with remotelyanywhere, it seems to be setup much like what i'm trying to do here. I open the port on the router, open it in windows firewall, and then when i'm at work i type in http://xx.xxx.x.xx.x:2000 and it directs me to the very same computer, so something works. Thats why originally I thought It was a sagetv problem and asked the question here.

I have also tried it with upnp on and off. sage does recognize when the router is setup either way, but both didn't allow it to work, or at least not for me.

I hope that clears it up a little bit more. I do know that the newer firmware versions of the linksys wrtgs router are supposed to allow for better signal strenght and more features, since its now open source. So I dont' tthink it will make anything worse and "could" fix the problem without me even knowing why. crossing my fingers.

thanks again for the quick replies and help.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I also assume I need to add the :31099 extention onto the end of the IP so the router will direct it to 192.168.1.100, which is currently my server computer. I have tried it both ways and neither works.

The problem remains, I have used port forwarding on my linksys router to open port 31099 and have it forwarded to 192.168.1.100. I also have the sagetv application checked in the windows xp firewall, so that should not be the problem.
You shouldn't need to add in the :31099 onto the end of the IP address since it is the default ports that the placeshifter uses. The placeshifter assumes 31099 unless you specify otherwise. Many programs are like that, they use their default port, unless specified. Like Remote Desktop uses 3389, unless you want to run it on a non-standard port, then you have to do something like xxx.xxx.xxx:7777

It sounds like a router config issue, but I don't think that a firmware upgrade is needed, since you already have it working for remotelyanywhere. Its just standard port forwarding. I do know that some routers require the port to be forwarded in 2 sections in the router, once for the "webservice" and once for the routers "firewall". My Dlink is like that, maybe it is getting missed in the linksys.

As a test, you could try and use the remotelyanywhere port 2000 for the placeshifter since it gets through the router fine. Shut down remotelyanywhere and set up sage to placeshift on port 2000. Then set up the placeshifter client to use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2000 and see if that works. It should, since the port is already open.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Sage User

thanks I'll try that. But i do have it correct that u can't or shouldn't use the same port for two programs, right? at least once i get all this working.

Didn't know that u could leave off the :31099 on the placeshifter menu if it was still set as the default, thanks.

Another question, if everything is "internal" and using the lan at home, i should just be able to type in 192.168.1.100 and get it to work then. but that isn't happening either. I hope I'm right in thinking the firewall port forward settings shouldn't really be the cause of this problem too, but i could be mistaken. I think with the linksys firmware i have, there is only one place to do all this, but perhaps i'm missing something else completely.

hopefully i can get this squared away before my time expires on the 7 day trial. want to see how good it will work away from home before i pay for it.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
thanks I'll try that. But i do have it correct that u can't or shouldn't use the same port for two programs, right? at least once i get all this working..
Correct, once two programs cant use the same port. But for testing, you can temporily anohter progams port to see if it is a Sage isse or a router isssue.

Quote:
Didn't know that u could leave off the :31099 on the placeshifter menu if it was still set as the default, thanks. .
yup, you can. I have done that on a couple placeshifter clients during testing and it worked fine. And Andy mentioned the same thing, IIRC

Quote:
Another question, if everything is "internal" and using the lan at home, i should just be able to type in 192.168.1.100 and get it to work then. but that isn't happening either. .
I dunno why that is the case, it shouldn't be that way.

Quote:
I hope I'm right in thinking the firewall port forward settings shouldn't really be the cause of this problem too, but i could be mistaken. I think with the linksys firmware i have, there is only one place to do all this, but perhaps i'm missing something else completely..
I DL'ed a copy of the Linksys user guide and it looks like you only have to enter the info in one place.

I hope you figure it out. I ran it and it is pretty cool, definitely not as good a picture as a normal client, but alot better than nothing.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Sage User

well, finally got it to work. by work, i mean logging in while i'm away from home. I'm messing with the proper trasncoding settings now.

in case someone else in the future has this problem, here is what worked for me. I had completely uninstalled sage 4.1 or so, whatever it was without placeshifter. I installed the newest version, 4.1.14, and couldn't get it to work. then i installed 4.1.13 over it, and it works ok. I know you are supposted to use the same versions with the server and placeshifter. I think I have 4.1.14 placeshifter on my laptop and it works ok with the 4.1.13 server.

Don't think I'm going to mess with it anymore until there is a major release update.

Ok, so I got some skips at about 300kps, with 64k audio. i think my upload speed is pretty low right now, hopefully they'll give us more at the cable company soon.

thanks again.