SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage 5 - any reason to upgrade?

if i'm not using placeshifting or medi extender? other bugs fixed/improvements over 4?

thanks!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, they could have fixed ALOT of bugs and possibly introduce some more or none. Its better to use newer builds
Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting7777
if i'm not using placeshifting or medi extender? other bugs fixed/improvements over 4?

thanks!
They fixed a lot of bugs relating to Windows Media (audio and video) in the media center area that I've appreciated.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you don't want or need one of the new features and you are happy with your current setup don't upgrade until you see how it fairs for other people. That is my 2 cents.

-Matthew
Old 04-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting7777

thanks!
There's always bug fixes in new versions. It's a free upgrade, so might as well give it a try. If you backup your existing installation properly (see the FAQ) it's easy to revert to it if ever you experience any problems.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Sage User

Upgrade is Free?

Is the upgrade free? How do you do this/
Old 04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12three45
Is the upgrade free? How do you do this/
download the new version:
http://www.sage.tv/download.html

then follow this instruction here, I recommend Step #3: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...0287#post10287

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm
If you don't want or need one of the new features and you are happy with your current setup don't upgrade until you see how it fairs for other people. That is my 2 cents.

-Matthew

I've always said 'if it ain't broke don't fix it. Like cenwesi said

'Yes, they could have fixed ALOT of bugs and possibly introduce some more or none.'

My question is : if I uninstall the previous version as directed in the FAQ, will the new SageTV retain my IR remote control, video input sources, channel settings and all other customizations?

Last edited by roxy99; 04-27-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

That FAQ also links to this topic: How to install a new version of SageTV. Your current configuration is kept, except that the STV is reset to use the default STV. It is up to you to re-apply any STV customizations.

If you want to see what all has changed through the various betas, the beta forum section has a sticky that links to all the beta versions & their release notes. Chapter 8 of the v5 manual lists some of the major documented changes.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Sage Icon

Smile

I upgraded from 2.x to v5, and updated my PureVideo also.

FSE was kinda buggy on my 9800 Pro, so I'm using VMR9 + Hardware Acceleration. I like the fading menus. Don't really notice that much difference, but then again I don't push the evenlope on every single feature in SageTV.

No problems, so I'm happy I upgraded.

Edit: It's really nice to be able to customize the long and short skip times for fwd/bkwd.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

Does v5 fix the VRM FSE bug?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Does v5 fix the VRM FSE bug?
What FSE bug? The only one I know about is the one when switching from windowed to fullscreen? For me It doesn't happen with the Sage decoder only the Nvidia one. I always figured it had more to do with the decoder than Sage.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
What FSE bug? The only one I know about is the one when switching from windowed to fullscreen? For me It doesn't happen with the Sage decoder only the Nvidia one. I always figured it had more to do with the decoder than Sage.
That's rights, I meant the window to fullscreen switch issue that users have been reporting in that poll started by Stranger. Whether it a bug or not its still an issue.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
That's rights, I meant the window to fullscreen switch issue that users have been reporting in that poll started by Stranger. Whether it a bug or not its still an issue.
I never said it wasn't an issue just that it might be more of a decoder issue than a Sage one. The only decoders I've tried on my main Sage machine is Sage and Nvidia so I don't know how well other decoders work with FSE.

Anyway, FSE works for some and not for others. So the only way to really know how it's going to work for you is to try it. I highly doubt you're going to see a release that's going to magically fix people's issues with FSE. DX, decoder, video card, driver, and quite a few other things can make a huge difference in how well FSE works or if it works at all. Just read how many people have nearly identically setups but drastically different results with FSE.

Last edited by blade; 05-01-2006 at 04:47 PM.