SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Two problems with new setup darkness & feedback(?), using pvr 150

Hi I just set up a new pvr the other day using the following hardware.

xp 2500 barton
768 ram
hauppauge pvr150
geforce fx5200 with s-video out to composite adater to composite in

I am having two problems, first off the video comes in dark, not so dark that tv is unwatchable but when a dark scene plays a lot of the details in the shows simply dissapear, you can tell the difference when switching between the pvr input and regular cable, adjusting the tv setting or the setting on the video card don't seem to do anything, is there a way to change the brightness on the hauppauge card?

Second of all, I was using a splitter and running on end of the split cable line to the pvr-150 and the other end to the tv so I could watch and record at the same time, but there seems to be a problem with this, it causes some kind of feedback where the tv emits a low hum and there are two notciible horizontal bars that scroll across the screen. When either of the input is removed from the tv this stop happening.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guytalbot
I am having two problems, first off the video comes in dark, not so dark that tv is unwatchable but when a dark scene plays a lot of the details in the shows simply dissapear, you can tell the difference when switching between the pvr input and regular cable, adjusting the tv setting or the setting on the video card don't seem to do anything, is there a way to change the brightness on the hauppauge card?
You can adjust the recorded brightness by going into Setup/Video Sources/Color Calibration. I used to boost the brightness, contrast, and saturation a bit for better playback on my computer monitor. Since then, I got SageTV Client and playback all video on my LCD HDTV and find that this is no longer necessary. Real TVs are much brighter than computer monitors by default. Based on that, you might be better off recording at defaults, and using your video cards controls to boost brightness and contrast of video playback. I never got very satisfactory results on my old CRT monitor though. TV playback, or a tuned LCD monitor, is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guytalbot
Second of all, I was using a splitter and running on end of the split cable line to the pvr-150 and the other end to the tv so I could watch and record at the same time, but there seems to be a problem with this, it causes some kind of feedback where the tv emits a low hum and there are two notciible horizontal bars that scroll across the screen. When either of the input is removed from the tv this stop happening.
Sounds like a grounding problem. Be sure your computer and TV outlet's grounding pins are actually connected and that your cable feed is grounded at the point that it enters the house. You might also try grounding your splitter to the wall plate center screw. I had to do this in an apartment I used to live in due to poor outside grounding.

Also, ground loops can occur by any equipment hooked up to either your TV or computer. Google "ground loop" for more info.

Good luck!