SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Importing Media Files

Hi, new to the product, but have been playing around with Sage and Tivo to decide which I like better.

With regard to Sage Media Extender, I may be missing something very basic.

Do I have to import files into a Sage Media Library Folder so that I have a duplicate of every media file, thus filling up my hard drive, or is there a way to designate that a particular folder has media files?

--Marc

This seems like a similar issue one could have with iTunes if you copy all your audio files into the iTunes library to sort and keep track of.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Sage User

You don't need to copy anything to a separate folder, the media extender will read directly from the main folders on your sage server.
Video/Audio: Overlay and Cyberlink video/audio
Clients: 2 STX-HD100 HD Media Extenders, 1 MediaMVP
Old 06-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkriger
Do I have to import files into a Sage Media Library Folder so that I have a duplicate of every media file, thus filling up my hard drive, or is there a way to designate that a particular folder has media files?
"Importing" files into SageTV simply consists of going to Detailed Setup -> General -> Media Center Import Directories, then adding the dirs where SageTV should look for your imported media. Just in case it wasn't clear: there are no extra file copies needed for this process. After a scanning process to look for fioles in those locations, they will be available for playback in SageTV.

As mentioned above, importing works the same on an extender as it does on any other SageTV system -- imported media is available to all clients.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.