SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Sage User

Media Extender support DTV signals?

I'm wondering if the SageTV Media Extender supports viewing of Digital channels or HD channels from my OTA antenna? Trying to figure out if it would be better to go with a Media extender for my 20" LCD HDTV or just build a seperate PC with HDTV tuner???

SD looks horrible on the LCD 20" TV, so I'm hoping that the media extender supports digital channels.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

The media extender is a Hauppauge MVP, which plays SD mpeg2 video. Other video can be transcoded by the server to be played on the MVP, but it will still play back as SD.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
The media extender is a Hauppauge MVP, which plays SD mpeg2 video. Other video can be transcoded by the server to be played on the MVP, but it will still play back as SD.

- Andy

So if I have a SageTV_5 server / main HTPC with only a VBox Cat’s Eye 150 HDTV tuner using it mainly for my HDTV Samsung 50" DLP downstairs I could technically buy the Media extender to play, watch the same shows recorded to my SDTV 27" Panasonic TV upstairs correct??? Realizing that I would not have the same quality as I would downstairs with the HDTV, the upstairs SDTV would play everything that was recorded or even able to watch/pause live TV with the MVP correct?

Just wanting to get everything figured out before making the purchase on an HD Tuner card.

THANKS For the help!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

BTW: Transcoding HDTV is pretty cpu intensive - see this post. (The MVP & Placeshifter clients do the same type of transcoding.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
BTW: Transcoding HDTV is pretty cpu intensive - see this post. (The MVP & Placeshifter clients do the same type of transcoding.)

- Andy
Thanks...

Guess that answers my question. I will just buy the Vbox HDTV 150 Tuner and a cheap SD Hauppauge card for the HTPC just for the Media Extender.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalg
SD looks horrible on the LCD 20" TV, so I'm hoping that the media extender supports digital channels.

If SD looks horrible on your 20" LCD I would hate to see what it looks like on a larger screen. I'm curious why you are not finding it acceptable?? I am viewing SD on a 42" and think its fine--definately acceptable.
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 06-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalg
I will just buy the Vbox HDTV 150 Tuner and a cheap SD Hauppauge card for the HTPC just for the Media Extender.
I don't want to talk you out of anything, but I do want to make sure you are aware of any issues... You can't really assign a particular recording to a specific tuner, unless the channel is available only on that tuner. You could limit a favorite to a single channel. You could also create 2 copies of a favorite, with one assigned to a channel only available on the HD tuner & the other assigned to an SD channel. This is supposed to be able to record the favorite twice so that you have HD and SD copies of it, but I believe people have reported mixed results.

- Andy
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
If SD looks horrible on your 20" LCD I would hate to see what it looks like on a larger screen. I'm curious why you are not finding it acceptable?? I am viewing SD on a 42" and think its fine--definately acceptable.
JUC

The 20" LCD looks horrible because of using a bad medium to get the signal, junk rabbit ears. Soon to be replaced by an UHF outdoor antenna!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage Icon

ah yes-its only as good as the input. Makes sense to me.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC