SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

No Preset number for channels?

Okay, I thought I lost my channels (see different post), but actually it is a different 'problem' (although I still don't know how it worked the first time).

What I had was channels on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. I thought these were presets, whil e the actual channels were like 58, 59, 26 etc.

So I found the channels again when going to 58, 59, 26 etc. But how do I reorder them? Channel 58 is called 'Nederland 1' over here and I am used to that being the first channel in line. And although I see the buttons called REMAP I think I misunderstand what this button does, because when I take for instance channel 58 and then do a remap to 1, when I go to 1, then channel is gone, like it actually changed the channel to 1, not the preset (am I making any sense? )

So how does this work?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Me again

The channel numbers in sage refer to preset frequencies defined in Windows, so channel #57 = 72.725MHz (or something like that) == NED 1

Remapping in Sage is when the EPG data source does not assign the correct channel ID for a TV station (which is always the case for XMLTV), so you need to say that NED1 is on channel (frequency index) 57...

There is no way in sage to say that (eg) Preset #1 == channel #57 = 72.725MHz == NED1 (*note1)

However, you can override Windows' channel # -> frequency assignments by putting overrides in the Windows registry so that a custom frequency table is used.

There are 2 ways of doing this, finding out which channel/frequency each TV station is on, and entering the data manually, or using WinTV2000 to frequency scan and reorder, and another program to copy the WinTV2000 frequencies to the registry.

Both are in this thread: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...p?postid=13430
Freqcopy (winTV2k->Registry) is here: http://www.prize.nl/software/freqcopy/
More XMLtV info here: http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/XMLTV

* note1: yes this seems odd, but it seems to be a US versus rest-of-world type thing... None of the US-based DVR apps that I have seen have a 'preset' system where you can create a custom channel preset numbering... You were lucky in that ShowShifter was developed in Europe (Scotland IIRC)...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, I see what the problem is.

Still reading through the articles you linked to, it is not clear yet how I change it.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Sage User

I suggest you to look at tool called freqshifter: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6605

Regards, Atte
Old 06-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, great tool! And it seems to work too

Okay, now I am prepared for my new WinTV500MCE card
Old 06-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oh, one more thing.

Where is the info about the channels, as setup in Sage, stored?
I have manually added all my channels, so I could enter a name for them.
There seems to be a name and a description. They could be different as the different sorting methods state "channel name" and "channel description".
So how can you change the names afterwards, or even make the descriptions different from the names?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:33 AM
SageTVaholic

it gets it from the XMLTV files, so it depends on the importer which info in the <channel> element gets put in name or descr... In the importer I use, the shortest gets put in 'name' and the longest in description.

You can change them afterwards just by having different data in the XMLTV file.

However, if the numeric channel ID reported by the importer to sage changes, it will show up as a new, different channel. In my importer, the channel ID comes from an MD5 hash/checksum of the <channel id="xxx"> xmltv attribute, so it is important to keep that the same.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hold on, hold on

XMLTV file?

Importer?

(I am very new at this...)
Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Ah.. I assumed you were using XMLTV to get program guide data -- I guess you are using TVTV, in which case the channel names come from TVTV and you cannot change them...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

No, even worse

I wasn't using anything, just manually created all my channels.
I am right now reading all this stuff about XMTV and grabbing EPG data from websites

I have grabbed something and used an importer (from LM Gestion) to put it into Sage format, but I can't seem to actually do anything with it with Sage.