SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Sage User

New sage hangs; no sound

I'm nubie trying to install a Sage bundle latest Sage tv software 5.04 with Haup 150 mce card, nvidia decoder, usb-uirt to control directv rca box.
Run Windows xp pro mce 4. Using composite video/audio input. windows media center functions have been disabled.

1. Almost works. MAIN PROBLEM: Live tv and recordings hang after 5-10 seconds. Changing channels starts and hangs the same way. Made recording of part of a movie. Playback hangs the same way. Moving to another part of the movie plays and hangs the same way. Seems like this must be something minor I'm overlooking.

2. Also no sound on any of the current recordings or viewing live tv. Tried changing audio decoders but no effect yet.
Note. Made recording under MCE when checking out install of the card. Used coax input and manually controlled the dtv box. Recording was fine, including sound. Playback is great using Windows Media Player.

3. Another problem with getting programming guide to download. worked the first time. Now tells me I have error with zipcode or internet connection. Made sure internet connection was available when I tried and know zip was right. Control panel firewall exceptions have sage tv box checked as exception. Have not looked into specific port numbers.

4. Have external dialup modem (WiFlyer) that wifi connect to other computers in the house. Modem is wire-connected to the PC running sage. Not clear whether sage can control this modem or dialup on its own as it doesn't ask for details on ISP login. Any ideas on how to get this to work other than manually making the internet connection, then downloading program guide would be appreciated.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Marty
Old 08-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Sage Icon

> 1
Does it hang when playing a video file, such as an AVI or another mpeg not from a recording.

> 2
I assume this only happens in liveTV, if so, then email sagetv tech support about liveTV with no audio.

> 3.
no need to configure port numbner in the Windows Firewall. Just to test, temporary disable the windows firewall to see if the guide data will work.

> 4.
No idea about modem thing. No broadband available in your area? I'd scream in insanity if I hear that modem connecting noise.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Sage User

Additional Information

> 1
Does it hang when playing a video file, such as an AVI or another mpeg not from a recording.

My Sage will not play the AVI file I'm testing with. Win Media Player plays it fine. My Sage will play an mpeg file I downloaded, but no sound.

Win MCE won't play either one, nor will it play a movie clip I recorded when testing the installation of the 150 card, as mentioned in my original post.

I read a sage forum post or FAQ somewhere that related to Sage and Win MCE that recommended disabling certain "functions" in MCE, which I did. I can't find it or (darn it!) remember how I did it. The post said something like that the functions (processes?) had to be completely disabled rather than just stopped to get things to work as they should. Sure would like to find that and reverse it for now.

I suspect that what I did may be responsible for part of my problem--probably the lack of any sound on anything now. Even the jolly sing-along video clips that were in MCE have no sound, though they play. Audios also have no sound regardless of player.

I guess right now I'd like to know or be directed to info on how to put the MCE function back to where they were before I disabled them. Everything I try to run in MCE just gives error indicating "unknown problem" or "needed component not available."

> 2
I assume this only happens in liveTV, if so, then email sagetv tech support about liveTV with no audio.

As this happens on all video and audio, I may wait on sending this.

> 3.
no need to configure port number in the Windows Firewall. Just to test, temporary disable the windows firewall to see if the guide data will work.

Got the guide to work, I think by enabling Sage to dial out, then having my internet connection up when I manually had it go get the Guide when in that set-up section.

I also changed the setting to have Sage run as a process when not up in a window. Assume that is not related. (?)

> 4.
No idea about modem thing. No broadband available in your area? I'd scream in insanity if I hear that modem connecting noise.

Know what you mean but stuck with it for now--the price I pay for living on the river and skiing while Sage (hopefully soon) will be recording the TV I want.

Thanks for any more suggestions.

Marty
Old 08-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Sage User

More info

THe OS version is Win XP MCE 2002 (at least this is what System properties says.

THe changes to services made were

Run "services.msc"

disabled
Media Center Receiver
Media Center Scheduler
Media Center Extender

This must be why MCE doesn't work.

But doesn't seem like it should affect the sound problems in Sage and elsewhere and the hangup of videos, recoreded tv, and DVDs.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

MCE 2002? Latest version is MCE 2005. And there's a rollup2 you should probably update to. So you probably don't have the latest DirectX 9c installed either. Get that here: DirectX 9c Aug-web update
What video card and video drivers are you using?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Sage User

Another round with additional info

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
MCE 2002? Latest version is MCE 2005. And there's a rollup2 you should probably update to. So you probably don't have the latest DirectX 9c installed either. Get that here: DirectX 9c Aug-web update
What video card and video drivers are you using?

Gerry
Gerry, thanks for your reply.

Actually I've already installed DirectX 9c per the Sage installation instructions.

I got my computer (Dell Dim 510) about 8 mos. ago. Even though System on control panel indiates my os is Win XP MCE version 2002, the sticker on the outside of the case indicates the os is Win xp mce 2005, and this was confirmed by Dell.

The video system was the standard offered with the unit. Dell says it is
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950).
Driver: Intel 945G Graphics controller video driver.

What I've done lately:
1. Enabled the "services.msc"
Media Center Receiver
Media Center Scheduler
Media Center Extender
and tried running MCE. It works great. Sharp picture, fine sound, plays a previously recorded (byMCE) video clip, plays a downloaded .mpeg file, plays a downloaded .avi file, plays all the video clips that came on the computer, plays DVSs, all with fine sound. The only thing I cant do is change channels on my directv box with the USB-UIRT blaster.

After this test, I disabled the above Media Center services. I uninstalled and reinstalled Sage TV 5.04, and ...
same old problems: live tv hangs after 4 seconds or so, so does a previously recorded video clip, picture quality is somewhat poorer (compared to what I was getting under MCE) and NO SOUND. One downloaded .mpeg file did play with poor picture quality and no sound. AVI file did play.

Tried to play a DVD with the sage interface and MCE popped up and tried to play it but gave an error.

Looks like there are still components of MCE that are conflicting with sage and trying to work. (My guess; no idea how to fix.) Right now, I feel like giving up on sage and just going with MCE but don't want to considering my investment.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Sage Icon

have you tried recording a show with MCE, is there sound with it? I think MCE is still conflicting with SageTV somehow eventhough you disabled the services. Follow instructions here and see if it makes any difference: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/sho...=5475#post5475

But things to check:

- audio driver. go to the dell site and enter your service tag and get the latest driver and install it.

- Java, what version are you using? Might want to switch between v1.4.x and 1.5.x to see if it makes any difference.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Sage User

yet another round

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
have you tried recording a show with MCE, is there sound with it? I think MCE is still conflicting with SageTV somehow eventhough you disabled the services. Follow instructions here and see if it makes any difference: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/sho...=5475#post5475

But things to check:

- audio driver. go to the dell site and enter your service tag and get the latest driver and install it.

- Java, what version are you using? Might want to switch between v1.4.x and 1.5.x to see if it makes any difference.
Yes, I already did record a video clip with MCE. It plays back fine under MCE but not sage; sage doesn't like the extension:"filename.dvr-ms"

New info: Another video clip (20 mins.) recorded with Sage plays great on MCE, sound and everything. Does this mean the problem is with Sage playback of videos and live tv (same thing--decoding an mpeg)?

I'll have to work on the new audio driver and Java. From a quick look at the link, looks like a batch file that disables the mce services, like I did manually. Will study it further.
Thanks.