SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Sage Icon

Sage Can't Find Programs Recorded

Suppose I have two hard drives on my file server where I have Sage recordings (say Y: and Z and I physically remove drive Z off the server after copying files from Z to Y. Sage can't seem to find them with the other recordings on Y. Is there any way to fix that. When I request detailed info on the files it shows them as if they are or were on Z and doesn't seem to want to look on Y even though I hvae that in my setup as a default for recordings.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Since you removed Z completely, SageTV never had a chance to find out that the recordings are no longer on that drive. So, it hangs onto that slim hope that one day its drive will return home. In the meantime, it will refuse to recognize any files pretending to be those missing recordings. As long as hope remains, it won't talk to those strangers.

You'll need to give it the shock of seeing drive Z w/o those recordings. Once it realizes those old recordings have gone, never to return, it will then be willing to consider replacing those that have been lost to it. The sadness will fade when it then sees familiar files in a new location and there will be joy all around as it welcomes them home to the SageTV Recordings screen once again.

It will then see if there is room on that drive for the next recording & if not, some file(s) may be sacrificed so that new recordings may live. If no recordings are allowed to be deleted, then it will cherish what it has and refuse to allow any new recordings to enter its realm.

How to accomplish this? You could add an empty drive as drive Z. Or, if not using service mode, you could map some empty directory as drive Z. In either case, when you restart SageTV, it should be able to see the recordings in their new locations.

As usual, save a copy of wiz.bin, before doing any of this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Sage Icon

So if I understand you correctly, all I need to do is rehook up DriveZ (which I plan to eventually do anyways) and when it sees the files are not there it will look in DriveY and find them?

Second - for some reason I can no longer get Sage to tune my DirecTV STB channels via the Com ports.

I think the machine check exception error I got 5 days ago was due to a bad NVidia DualTV tuner card. I've now rebuilt almost everything in the machine. Is there a way to clean out the properties file whithout starting from scratch?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
So if I understand you correctly, all I need to do is rehook up DriveZ (which I plan to eventually do anyways) and when it sees the files are not there it will look in DriveY and find them?
It should.

Quote:
Is there a way to clean out the properties file whithout starting from scratch?
You can always delete properties while SageTV isn't running, but there are way too many properties to provide a list of which ones to keep & which to remove.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Sage Icon

Worked perfectly. Wise choice about making a backup of Wiz.bin. I noticed that when I restored a backup copy by mistake or somehow it was not pointing to my Z drive for recordings. So, the point of all this is I noticed that when the drive is mounted back on the system, Sage checks all default locations for the missing files and if it cannot find it, it then removes the files out of Wiz.bin forever (which in my opinion is a good thing since Sage assumes once the drive is mounted back that there is then no hope of ever finding the file).

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up Sad story, happy ending

Hey Opus,
That was a nice story--had tears in my eyes, then there was the HAPPY ending!!

Thanks for all your hard work and knowledge to help ALL of us keep our Sage machines in good health!!!!!

Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)