SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Poor Audio on anything other than default (on client machine, server not checked)

I'd been subliminely thinking this for a while now.. that in short my sagetv recordings were sounding rather flat and lifeless... i listen over my external DAC, amp, and Sennheiser HD600s which is a rather detailed setup compared to a lot of speakers but being headphones you really pick up on stereo things, even though soundstaging isn't something that cans do that well.. anyways..

Server: (unchecked as of yet)
Client: soundblaster live with kx drivers, windvd5 installed, intervideo audio checked in sage (they're windvd aren't they?)

Sound: very flat... almost all the sounds are in what can only be described as a dull centre channel in your headphones...

I've just been watching tv live over the same headphones with audio output directly from my satelite reciever through the same amp and headphones.. i noted that everything sounded good and involving, even an ancient x-files episode was impressive.. switch to sage recorded CSI and urgh... all life gone.. couldn't picture at the time, only really spotted it as i'd done a direct AB compare there and then..

Investigated further by playing the same file using external players... ohh my god, other players play superbly again... nice stereo seperation and air to it all (title theme of CSI series 2 used to compare) ... play around with settings some more and narrow it down to basically

with audio set to default Sage's audio sounds similar/identical to how it does with other players... ie. correct

with audio set to intervideo Sage's audio is flat as mentioned above, its almost like mono filtered sound.. urgh...

Are there any assumptions you make, what actually changes when you select intervideo on the client... (is it just me or will the client let any codec be available in setup, where as the server only allows what's available.. or am i dreaming on that one i am wondering if your implementation for intervideo is for earlier windvd and recently intervideo have changed the specs...

Does anyone else get this?!?!? its fine as its easily rectifiable by setting it to default (what is it using for this?! any way to find out?!) but i'd still like to know why..

Thank god though, i was sure sage could sound better than it was (which was getting near to downloaded low bandwidth videos)

Cheers
Old 10-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Sage

If you play an MPEG2 file in WMP, the filters it lists(File->Properties) as being used should be the same ones as if you select "Default" for the filters in Sage.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Narflex,

Can you or anyone else install windvd5 (the demo is free) and use the windvd and confirm that it doesn't sound correct!?! headphones make it really obviously different as its mainly in the stereo-ness of the audio...

I'm not too concerned i'm happy that i can make it sound right setting it to default, but as i've paid for windvd and its filters are usually reasonable I was keen to use them, or at least test them

ALthough this is the least of my worries as my PVR machine has thrown a curve ball at me.. I've noticed (thru the use of PAR2 backup data) that it can't copy files between drives correctly at all.. its a P4 machine, with MSI chipset not like the VIA ones that were famous for this corruption.. I've brought it tho installing fans and PVR-250, hdds, dvd-rw is going to make it arkward to swop.. I've narrowed it down to the MB so may be buying a replacement MB and rebuilding it to hopefully eliminate the problem... perhaps this worsens any issue i've ever had with my PVR setup... I dunno

For now tho it'd be nice to get others confirming this problem or not.. Cheers
Old 10-13-2003, 05:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I have WinDVD5 Platinum installed on one of my SageTV clients. I also have the Audio Booster pack. I don't seem to be having the issue you describe. I have a nForce2 motherboard. In WinDVD5 I have it configured for analog sound card, 6 channel (5.1 Home Theater), Send 0.1 (LFE Subwoofer)to speaker/headphones, Remember Volume setting and Audio Renderer to Auto. I also use this to play DVD's in Sage too. I am getting great sound on Live TV, recorded files and DVD's. Anything else you might want me to check?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

gplasky,

Thanks for the effort dude.. Firstly what does the audio booster pack do?! I thought i read it did something for DTS yet DTS works fine with my windvd platinum...

You seem to be pretty sure its sounding right.. for one we're talking about me being in a PAL territory but by the time Sage gets it its just an mpeg file i wouldn't of expected that to make a difference... have you definately checked via headphones or just your 5.1 speakers.. the stereo collapse may be easier to hear on headphones..

Finally have you checked with SageTV Client, cause this is the program that i'm using and having the problems with.. perhaps the server and the client are slightly different in this regard (either deliberately or by some hidden bug)

Other than that i dunno.. I'll be reinstalling the OS to hopefully fix my other problems with the system, when i do do i will reinstall Sage and see if it still has the same problems... argh damn.. i'm only reinstalling at the server end
Old 10-15-2003, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Audio Booster pack: Gives me the following: DTS & DTS-ES. SRS TruSurround XT™-Play 5.1 multichannel soundtracks for movies and music from just two speakers or headphones. And it enhances Dolby Pro Logic II with Movie Mode-Enhance your listening experience with 5.1-channel sound for stereo television shows and all programs encoded in Dolby Surround. I have an nForce 2 motherboard so I am getting surround sound thru all 5 of my speakers so the comparison may not be fair. I am using this machine that is strictly the SageTV client. My other PC in the living room is the SageTV server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

ok so you are using the client version... strange...

if u have headphones at hand could you test the SRS TruSurround XT™ in headphone mode against dolby headphone... i've tested the SRS that i do have access to and its never come close for me... maybe they're holding it back for this later version...
Old 10-15-2003, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll have to see if I can borrow a set of headphones. Or maybe I need to buy a set. Yeah...that's it...buy a set. I'll let you know by the weekend.

Gerry
Old 10-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'll have to see if I can borrow a set of headphones. Or maybe I need to buy a set. Yeah...that's it...buy a set. I'll let you know by the weekend.
Like the attitude man

You got a lot to spend?! I'm quite into my headphones.. I've got

Sennheiser HD600
Etymotic ER-4P
Beyer Dynamic DT250-80

As my main 3 headphones... RRPs are expensive for all but the beyers (which btw are the perfect work headphone, just the right amount of isolation) ... etymotics are superb, especially if you are a traveller, they have earplug like isolation (well they are ear plugs) but give a stunning sound... HD600s are my most used cans... they vary.. RRPs up to £350... I paid £160 for them 3 years ago and they are perfect... VERY comfortable, great sound...and are the perfect headphones for movies etc.. they need good amplification...

If you want cheap headphones.. look around, there are a variety of models a lot that are highly regarded... when spending little researching a little first may let you get a real nice sound compared to an average one for the same money...

When you finally do get some headphones check out my binaural field recordings online

http://jimtreats.crosswinds.net/MyTr...ural/index.htm

A wide selection and if you've never heard them before its an impressive sense of immersion.. Just got back from recording tonight... hopefully it came out good