SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
SageTVaholic

understanding placeshifter

As my demo continues...

before I run down to Starbuck's to test this out...
I intall Placeshifter on the laptop.
Turn Upnp on in my Netgear Router
Create an account on Sage server (with password)
run "Test Placeshifter Connection", which worked by the way

What I don't understand is how to find my Sage TV server on the internet from a remote location. Say I am in Vancouver on vacation, how and where does my laptop look? I don't remember entering data for my home I.P. address, and then what if the cable company changes the I.P.....

what don't I understand about this handshake process?

thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

See the Placeshifter Client Connections section of the manual, starting on p. 258 for v5.

For remote locations, you can use an IP address or your SageTV server's Locator ID -- either of which you would enter when Adding a Server. Your server would report its Locator ID and current IP address to SageTV's Locator Server & that is how your Placeshifter would get the actual IP to connect to.

Alternatively, you can use something like DynDns to access your actual IP address.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you mean when adding a server in the laptop installation software?

I believe I read those pages, and if correct I entered the Locator ID in one of the menus on the placeshifter software (after retreiving it from the server box).

And I imagine the only way to test it is from somewhere other than your own house, correct?

That's why I want to make sure it all seems proper before the journey.

thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

You should be able to test it from home by connecting via the Locator ID or from your external IP address (the one seen by the internet, not internal to your local LAN).

BTW: When you select the option to test the connection, it tells the remote Locator Server to try getting a response from your system over the internet. So, if that works, you should be able to connect remotely... which is the whole reason that test was added.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Great, that makes sense. I am testing it now using a lowly 802.11b laptop connection (wireless). From the looks of things, that is far too slow for Sage to be able to deliver any kind of streaming video.

Do you have to be up to 802.11g speeds before there's any point, because all I get at 802.11b is a sentence every five minutes.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Sage Icon

an 802.11b connection should be fine to test. Even the slowest 802.11b connection will outspeed just about every DSL/Cable internet connection.

What is probably happening is that the placeshifter is trying to stream without transcoding since it sees the connection as a local connection. In the placeshifter settings on the client, you can tell it to always transcode, even for internal connections.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

can't connect

I can connect if I am testing at home through 802.11b, and all is wonderful. Server see's placeshifter, handshake..great.

As soon as I try and connect from an external locale (Starbucks, college campus) it's a no go.

Any ideas?

thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
When setting up the placeshifter server in "detailed setup" was the server able to connect to the locator server? If not you may have some firewall issues to sort out.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 AM
SageTVaholic

here's what happens..in Sage server, I get a big thumbs up when testing communication with ports and unUp (whatever) and then if I test the link using just the Locator ID over my 802.11 connection, all is fine.
Problem is when I go off site.
I've checked my router, and it's doing what it should be.
I've enabled my user account and created a password.
But I get the old "Locator failed to find server' when I'm offsite and using placeshifter.
It is therefore extremely hard to test, as I can't be in two locations at once to troubleshoot.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

When you first run Placeshifter, on that first screen, you've added a server to connect to & put in the Locator ID from your SageTV server, as we discussed above? And, on that screen, it says "Locator Found Server"? If it can't find the ID's server, it will say it failed to find the server.

At home, try adding a new server connection, using your server's internet address instead of a Locator ID. If you try a Placeshifter connection at home & get no login prompt, that should mean it is actually a local connection. When you go through the UPnP configuration, it should show you the external IP address of the router as you select it.

- Andy
Old 09-01-2006, 07:28 PM
SageTVaholic

It looks like the key was, a) adding Sage Placeshifter to windows firewall list of programs on the laptop, which is bizarre since I have windows firewall on my laptop permanently disabled (as it is on the server as well).

I additionally enabled port 8018 on the laptop, since the error message mentioned it as something of merit.

if you do a search on this entire site for 8018, you don't get alot of responses.

Now, I have an internet connection to my house from afar.

Which do you think mattered more, enabling port 8018 or enabling sage placeshifter in windows firewall on the laptop...

completely confused.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

This FAQ explains when the Placeshifter needs to use port 8018. It looks like I'll need to make a note to myself to add that to the manual, though.

If you were still using the Locator ID, that could have been the issue. But, if you had to open the port, I would think that some firewall must have been active.

- Andy
Old 09-01-2006, 10:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Great. So then if I change from using a locator ID to my IP address then I can close port 8018 on the laptop?

thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Administrator

It sounds like you could... but you should try it so we can both find out whether I'm lying to you w/o even knowing.

- Andy
Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 PM
SageTVaholic

haha...nothing like a good adventure to keep us on our technical toes.

When it worked I was stoked. Definetely not wife-frieindly, at least initially.

thanks so far