SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

How to program Firefly's back button with sagetv's Previous?

I want to make the BACK button on my Firefly remote do what's typically called Flashback (where it jumps back to the channel you were on previously) which I imagine is what sageTv calls Previous.

I went into Detailed Setup to the keymapping area and when it asks me to press a button to record a action I press Back and nothing happens. Almost any other button on the remote gets recognized here - just not the back button...
Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Doesn't anyone else use Firefly remotes? I figured they'd be pretty popular...

It seems there are quite a few buttons I cannot program using SageTV's key setup. I go to the area in SageTV where it asks me to record a button to trigger an action, and some buttons on my remote don't register anything. It just beeps but SageTV does not seem to recognize that I pressed anything.

Also, quite a few buttons cause the thing to cancel making it impossible to record new actions on to them. (like my TV button)
Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Here are my profiles for my firefly. They may be setup exactly the way you want it or they may give you some ideas on how to set yours up. I dont know exactly if you can do previous channel or not. I know you can in SageMC but not really sure about the default STV.

Miller
Attached Files
File Type: txt Global.xml.txt (3.5 KB, 385 views)
File Type: txt SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml.txt (7.0 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by millers_35; 09-07-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Sage User

having same firefly problem

vorius, I am in the throes of moving from BeyondTV to Sage, and have the same problem with the firefly remote & software combo. It's got to be the firefly software not sending that button-press through to Sage. I have the same problems with the stop button.

I think Girder, an app that can map button presses to keystrokes without the Firefly software at all, might do the trick, but I haven't tried it.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Sage User

Smile millers_35 was right

The specific problem was that the Stop Firefly button was not mapped in the SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml file. Once I edited that file to map that button (plus Back, etc.), I could use the SageTV commands menu to map them correctly. While I was at it, I mapped the TV, Video, Music, Photos, & DVD buttons.

Lo and behold, when I came back to type up my results, I see that millers_35's files probably did exactly that. I could have been up and running faster by using his files, but I wouldn't have learned as much ... at least that's what I tell my wife when I stay up until 2:30am trying to fix stuff like this.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Glad I was of some assistance. I dont use the back button on my remote I use "exit" for that purpose as it is closer to the central point of the remote. And use the "firefly" button as the home button which takes me all the way out to the main page. the command I like the most is
Code:
<Actions Button="Firefly" Description="SnapStream.Firefly.Core.LaunchAction">
<LaunchAction ActivationState="Down" Program="C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe" Arguments="-awake" Description="SageTV" />
<PlaySoundAction ActivationState="Down" Sound="Home" />
</Actions>
which is the global.xml file

That allows me to awake sage when it is minimized to the taskbar. I'm thinking about adding some more code to that line that will also open up sage when it is completely closed.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool thanks for the tips guys, I have not had time to try it yet but I will!

Is it easy to map a Firefly remote to an IR command like the power up command on my television? So that way I can get rid of the TV remote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is there some documentation on this. I'm also converting from BeyondTV to SageTV, and I couldn't find any documentation on this stuff. Snapstream help is useless.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondr
The specific problem was that the Stop Firefly button was not mapped in the SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml file. Once I edited that file to map that button (plus Back, etc.), I could use the SageTV commands menu to map them correctly. While I was at it, I mapped the TV, Video, Music, Photos, & DVD buttons.

Lo and behold, when I came back to type up my results, I see that millers_35's files probably did exactly that. I could have been up and running faster by using his files, but I wouldn't have learned as much ... at least that's what I tell my wife when I stay up until 2:30am trying to fix stuff like this.
Ok I am finally getting around to trying to change this, and I threw in millers_35`s xml file but it does not have the Previous button mapped like yours does... would you post the relevant section of the xml file which maps the Previous button so I know what to do? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Menu exit

I would like to use the exit button for when you are in the tv guide, but that doesn't seem to work. What do I need to map to get the exit button to exit TV, Tv Guide, Options, etc.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Sage Icon

Not sure if this will help ...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...83&postcount=2

Last edited by mightyt; 10-03-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Firefly

OK---

Hopefully someone will see this and give me a hand...

I would like to get my Firefly working with Sage.

It kinda works now, but there is no Exit/Back button so you get stuck in certain areas of Sage.... (like LiveTV or the Guide)

I checked some of the xml files above and was hoping someone might share one they have already setup with the Music/DVD/Video buttons and the Firefly Button taking you to the Main/Start menu again as someone mentioned....that would be awesome to not have to use the back button all the way back sometimes

I am running Sage v6 and SageMC 16x9 with the 'My Music' music setup

I also would like to be able to control Theatre Tek as I use it as an external DVD player for Sage if that is possible....(the stock Firefly controls it now using the up/down/left/right buttons so it would possibly work??

Lastly, and most importantly....
HOW do you load the xml file when Firefly loads??
Do you name it something specific and put it in a certain directory or??

Basically the Back and Stop buttons seem to be eluding me.

Can't wait to start using it....
JD

Last edited by JDizzy; 10-30-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

yeah the xml files go in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Snapstream\Firefly\Profiles

Miller
Old 10-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers_35
yeah the xml files go in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Snapstream\Firefly\Profiles

Miller
I tried the files above and the 'global' file works...but the other gets an error when loading Firefly...
JD

PS- I renamed the Frey 1.4 file to 'Global.xml' and then tried to load it.... was that the incorrect way?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

No you shouldnt rename the files, except take the .txt off the end. The default.xml file is used when SageTV doesnt have focus. But when SageTV does have focus is uses the Frey 1.4 profile.

Miller
Old 10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

xml files

Could you let me look at your xml files so I can compare to the ones up above?
I still cannot get the back button to work...
Thanks - JD
Old 10-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Those are mine posted above. I dont use the back button on the remote I use the exit button to take me back. But you could try adding this code to the SageTV 1.4 xml file using notepad or the text editor of ur choice.
Code:
<Actions Button="Back" Description="Back">
    <KeyAction Keys="{back}" ActivationState="DownRepeat" />
  </Actions>
Then if that still dont work go into the sage settings "commands" page and link the back button to the "back" command. Let me know how it goes.

Miller
Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Codes

Quote:
Those are mine posted above. I dont use the back button on the remote I use the exit button to take me back. But you could try adding this code to the SageTV 1.4 xml file using notepad or the text editor of ur choice.
Code:
<Actions Button="Back" Description="Back">
    <KeyAction Keys="{back}" ActivationState="DownRepeat" />
  </Actions>
Then if that still dont work go into the sage settings "commands" page and link the back button to the "back" command. Let me know how it goes.

Miller
I am using your xml files which contain the above code.
If I am watching Live TV and want to exit {back} to the TV menu page I hit "Exit" and nothing happens. I am trapped in the Live TV without a way out (other than using the Firefly button which takes me all the way to the Main Menu). Same with the TV Guide area.

I just need to have the Exit button go Back....
The keycode to go back is Alt+Left but I do not know how to put that code into the xml file....

(I also don't know what you mean by 'link' a key to the back button...)
Sorry,
JD
Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok on the Sage Home menu go to setup -> detailed setup -> commands -> "Link Infrared/Keystroke..." Go down until you find "Back" and select it, then it will ask you which button you want to link it to and you press "Back" or "Exit" on your remote depending on which button you want for that purpose. I think that will get you where you want to be.

Miller
Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Linking

Quote:
Ok on the Sage Home menu go to setup -> detailed setup -> commands -> "Link Infrared/Keystroke..." Go down until you find "Back" and select it, then it will ask you which button you want to link it to and you press "Back" or "Exit" on your remote depending on which button you want for that purpose. I think that will get you where you want to be.

Miller
Thanks!

I actually was looking around and found that in the Detailed Setup, tried it and it works like a champ!
(now if I could control volume on my receiver)

Thanks again,
JD