SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Using Full version as client

I am trying to setup a full version of STV as a client and a network encoder. I understand how to change the Sage.properties file for network encoding, but I don't understand what it means in the manual (Appendix G:) when it says to use this system as a client to "start another instance of SageTV.exe" and add the client parameter. How do you start another instance of SageTV.exe?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 09-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Create a shortcut to SageTV.exe & add -client as a parameter on the Target line after SageTV.exe.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have the shortcut created with client added to the target line. Now how do I get the shortcut to load properly to function as a client? If I understand this correctly there should be two applications of SageTv running at the same time for this to work (one is the client and one is the encoder). After creating the shortcut I rebooted the computer and let Sage load as usual, but only one application of sage is running so I guess I need to set something that causes the two applications of sage to load. I have my HTPC setup to load SageTv in full screen at bootup so how do I get it to load both automatically.

Edit: Looks like maybe you just manually load the shortcut and then tell it to load automatically at startup during setup just like the non client version that is running. Big question: How can I transfer all my setting and remote codes from the original full version that is runnung, to the client version?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit

Last edited by Steve52; 09-09-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52
How can I transfer all my setting and remote codes from the original full version that is runnung, to the client version?
You could copy sage.properties to sageclient.properties if you want. Or, you could copy specific property lines, if you know the few that you want.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

What do users usually do to get both the full version running as an encoder, and the sage client to load automatically at startup? When I reboot now only the original full version loads at start up. I have to manually load the client version from the shortcut.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

I don't run it like this, but have you tried placing a shortcut to run the client in your Windows Startup folder?

- Andy
Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

How do you run it? I assume you mean you use a client machine as an encoder like I am setting up.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Administrator

No, I mean I don't use a network encoder, nor do I have SageTV load when Windows boots. I was just suggesting something to try to cause the client to start at bootup, since you said the server & client aren't both starting automatically.

- Andy
Old 09-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Adding it to the startup menu in windows works but the client didn't load full screen even though I have told it to in Sage.

The encoder card on the client machine is not showing up so that I can add it as a video source. It is a Hauppauge PVR-150 but only the main ATSC tuner cards in the main server show up as available to use? Is the full version running on the client machine supposed to be set as a server also? I did that but the PVR-150 still does not show up.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Adding it to the startup menu in windows works but the client didn't load full screen even though I have told it to in Sage.
Sage will startup in whatever state it was when last closed. So if it was windowed when you closed it that's how it will open. To close it from full screen you can use the dynamic menu import and exit import to place a menu in Sage that allows you to exit the program or you can close it using ALT+F4. There is also a command line parameter you can add that will force Sage to always open fullscreen regardless of the state it was closed from. I can't recall it off the top of my head, but you should be able to find it with a search or maybe someone else will post it.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have made great progress as far as getting everything setup. I have added the encoding properties to the Sage.properties of both the main server and the full version of sage running on the client, but I cannot add the Hauppauge PVR-150 that is in the client pc as a video source.

1) Should the full version of sage running on the client be set as a server?

2) Shoud I be trying to add the PVR-150 from the main server, the full version running on the client, or the client version of sage running on the client pc? It does not show up anywhere as a video source I can add.

3) Can the Sage.properties encoder instruction appear anywhere in the Sage.properties file?

Last edited by Steve52; 09-10-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

My understanding, provisioned by I've never done this.

Quote:
1) Should the full version of sage running on the client be set as a server?
You need a full version of SageTV on the client PC, running configured as an encoding server. Have you checked out page 248 of the manual?

Quote:
2) Shoud I be trying to add the PVR-150 from the main server, the full version running on the client, or the client version of sage running on the client pc? It does not show up anywhere as a video source I can add.
I think what should happen is this:

You start SageTV on the slave with enable_encoding_server=true.
You start SageTV on the master with network_encoder_discovery=true

And I think, you should then see then slave's tuners on the master.

Quote:
3) Can the Sage.properties encoder instruction appear anywhere in the Sage.properties file?
Yes, Sage doesn't care where you put an entry in the properties file.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

1)I think I need to restate my question about the full version that is running on the client. In setup/detailed setup/advanced/sagetv server, should Enabled or Disabled be chosen?

2)Also I am getting an error message on the full version running on the client when I try to setup the the PVR-150 thru it. The error message is "Error (-3,0x80070003). There was a problem accessing the filesystem for capture." The full version on the client machine is the only place that the PVR-150 will even show up to allow you to install it as a video source, but I am getting this error message when I try.

3)The Client finds the main server and all its resources by IP address. How is the client supposed to find the PVR-150 that is in the same PC? I see nothing to tell the client to look on the same machine for a resource.

Last edited by Steve52; 09-10-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
1)I think I need to restate my question about the full version that is running on the client. In setup/detailed setup/advanced/sagetv server, should Enabled or Disabled be chosen?
If you've connected (as a client) to the other server, that setting applies to the remote server, and should be enabled.

I don't think it needs to be enabled on the local encoding server, but don't know if it affects anything.

Quote:
2)Also I am getting an error message on the full version running on the client when I try to setup the the PVR-150 thru it. The error message is "Error (-3,0x80070003). There was a problem accessing the filesystem for capture." The full version on the client machine is the only place that the PVR-150 will even show up to allow you to install it as a video source, but I am getting this error message when I try.
The encoding server needs to be able to access the path specified in your master server's recording directory setup. Sounds like it can't.

Quote:
3)The Client finds the main server and all its resources by IP address. How is the client supposed to find the PVR-150 that is in the same PC? I see nothing to tell the client to look on the same machine for a resource.
There is no way, by using it as a client, it goes to the master server for everything. Sounds like you're trying to setup peer servers, Sage doesn't support that.