SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Error Accessing the File System?

I have a new clean sage server install, and new client install to 5.0.4 on both. I moved a HDD from a standalone HTPC to the server and left the files on it from before the change. I had three sub directories on the HDD 1) /music 2)/photos 3)/DVD and the imported media was set to each of these for their respective files. After the install I can access the Music, and the Photo's from the media center just like before they work fine, but the DVDs will not play.

I get "Error (-3,0X80070057) There is a problem accessing the file system for playback".

I noticed that thru STV the file size is stated as 0MB, but exployer shows them as being there and in the correct file size. The thumbnail icons of the DVDs saved in each DVD folder show up in the media center, it just won't play the DVD. Any suggestion as to what is wrong?

Additional info:
Server running in service mode.
Client running full version as encoder as well as client.
All HDD (Two) are in the Server PC. Only the operating system HDD is in the Client.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

You're trying to play the DVDs from the client? If so, it needs to see them itself; you can't stream the DVDs via the SageTV server. You could switch the import dir for the DVDs to use UNC paths so that the client can read the files directly.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
You're trying to play the DVDs from the client? If so, it needs to see them itself; you can't stream the DVDs via the SageTV server. You could switch the import dir for the DVDs to use UNC paths so that the client can read the files directly.

- Andy
That you for the response, but unfortunately I really don't understand it. Yes I am trying to play the DVD on the client(DVD copied on the server hard drive not actual DVD), but I am also playing the music files, displaying the photos, and of course playing back all the recorded TV shows on the same client in the same manner that I am trying to play the DVD's, and they all work just fine. Just not the DVD's that are on the same hard drive stored in a sub folder just as the photos are in a sub folder, and the mp3 music files are in a sub folder. I may not be correct but I thought that unc paths were required to access a hard drive on a network computer that is a different computer than the one running sagetv in service mode. I am running my sage server in service mode, but the hard drives are located in the same computer not a different one. I am really stuck on this problem so any help would be appreciated.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 09-16-2006, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

DVDs are read directly from the filesystem by the client, unlike many/most other media types, which are read by the server and streamed to the client.

Because of this the client needs to be able to access the directory where the DVDs are stored. And it must be at the exact same path that the server sees them at.

For example, if you've imported DVDs on D:\DVDs on the server, the client needs to see them at D:\DVDs as well.

The easiest way is to simply specify your imports using UNC paths. So for example you would share the DVDs folder as DVDs, then set \\servername\DVDs as an import directory.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
DVDs are read directly from the filesystem by the client, unlike many/most other media types, which are read by the server and streamed to the client.

Because of this the client needs to be able to access the directory where the DVDs are stored. And it must be at the exact same path that the server sees them at.

For example, if you've imported DVDs on D:\DVDs on the server, the client needs to see them at D:\DVDs as well.

The easiest way is to simply specify your imports using UNC paths. So for example you would share the DVDs folder as DVDs, then set \\servername\DVDs as an import directory.
Thanks strange89! That did it. I did not know that DVD files had to be setup differenly from music and photos. Sharing and naming the folder on the server and going thru the client to setup the media source, and using the network path, worked. It shows up there after the folder is shared and named and you can select it as a directory then. Hope this may help someone else in the future.