SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Sage

Talking Beta Testers needed for SageTV for Mac OS X!!

Howdy all,

We're looking for some additional users to join our private beta testing group in order to assist in testing new SageTV technologies on the Macintosh.

Beta testers MUST meet the following criteria:
1. Have a Macintosh computer running OS X 10.4 or later (PPC or Intel based).
2. Have an existing SageTV license for Windows or Linux.
3. Willing to sign an NDA
4. Does not work for any company that is a competitor of SageTV or produces competitive technology

In addition, significant preference will be given to beta testers who own a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2. This will be the only supported capture device on the Macintosh initially.

We do have the right to choose the beta testers at our own discretion.

Beta testing for the Placeshifter client for Macintosh has already begun. Beta testing for the full version of SageTV for the Macintosh will begin in the coming weeks.

Please direct all betatest inquiries via email to betatest at sagetv.com.

Thanks for your interest.

UPDATE 1/26/07: The EskapeLabs myTV.pvr (from Hauppauge) will be the recommended capture device initially. The Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 *should* work properly; but there are newer models available now that do not have Macintosh support yet; but I've been told by Hauppauge that Mac support will be forthcoming for the newer models in case you've already purchased one.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
That green smiley face next to the title is saying "This isn't what you were hoping for but thanks for racing here so fast."
*sigh*
Old 09-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool! I've been running Sage client on my Mac Mini with bootcamp for months - I'd love to get a native OS X client running on here...

Sending my email off now!
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have the 1.8 with 1 gig of RAM - I have it hooked up to a Panasonic plasma via HDMI and it runs great. I've had a couple crashes (probably 4 or 5 total) but nothing major.

The biggest problem is the bootcamp startup process has a major flaw in that it forces a query of the video device you have connected and if that device does not support 640x480 it locks and will not boot. Same deal if you just unplug the video entirely. Major bummer since my Pannasonic Plasma does not support a 640x480 mode so I have to plug the Mini into a little LCD I keep on hand until it gets past that and then I can plug in the Plasma and all is well.

Of course if I can dump bootcamp and just run native OS X I wont have to worry about that! I'm stoked at taking a swing at it...
Old 09-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

This sounds interesting...SageTV moving to OSX...especially now that EyeTV is just getting a hold in that market. I think if done right, with an OSX adobted user interface, SageTV could blow EyeTV right out of the market.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Sage User

woohoo

this is awesome news!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Darn, I have a WinTV PVR USB2 with Windows software not Macintosh. I wonder if I can grab the drivers from the Hauppauge site.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune
Darn, I have a WinTV PVR USB2 with Windows software not Macintosh. I wonder if I can grab the drivers from the Hauppauge site.
As far as I know, Hauppauge does not make anything to tie their hardware to a Mac. They bought Eskape Labs a while back, but they only make software encoder based tuners. I would guess that Sage will be providing drivers along with the cards (maybe some Open Source ones?).
Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to acrowe Send a message via MSN to acrowe Send a message via Yahoo to acrowe
email sent!

Hopefully I'll be using my 21" Intel iMac as a sage system soon! My Sage server is the last system that is running windows now!

Today the desktop, tomorrow the world!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to acrowe Send a message via MSN to acrowe Send a message via Yahoo to acrowe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget
As far as I know, Hauppauge does not make anything to tie their hardware to a Mac. They bought Eskape Labs a while back, but they only make software encoder based tuners. I would guess that Sage will be providing drivers along with the cards (maybe some Open Source ones?).
Check this Eskape page. They have what looks like an MVP in a white case So I'm guessing hauppage/eskape has drivers for the USB2 for OS X!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Sage User

Very interested in Beta testing Sage for Mac.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a Macbook pro, and I'd love to beta test!

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor
Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

What are the decoders like on a mac? I'm wondering if the image quality is up there with PureVideo; if so a Mac mini could be the perfect client.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to mkkawamo Send a message via Yahoo to mkkawamo
The only reason I have a Win-doze box at all is for SageTV. To have it on the Mac is great... too bad my Mac is old and decrepit. *Thinks that this is a good excuse to buy MacPro*
Antec Overture (V1.2) HTPC Case (It runs a bit hot)
Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Feature Request

Not sure if you're even looking for them, but it would be awesome if the client was completely Apple scriptable.

http://www.sallingclicker.com
http://twistedmelon.com

For some uses..

B
Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for mentioning our web site and product above.

We'd really like to support SageTV and PlaceShifter right out of the gate. I've already written to the beta email asking if I can get onto the PlaceShifter beta group. I dont have the time to test a new SageTV installation and I can't take down the one I'm running now as it's the primary TV in the house.

Bruno
Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Darn, the capture device is the WinTV USB2 (looks like a rectangular brick, not a square MVP case), not the WinTV "pvr" USB2 model. I knew it was too good to be true.
Sent email anyway.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Darn, the capture device is the WinTV USB2 (looks like a rectangular brick, not a square MVP case), not the WinTV "pvr" USB2 model. I knew it was too good to be true.
Sent email anyway.
What do you mean? If you look at what Narflex says:
Quote:
In addition, significant preference will be given to beta testers who own a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2. This will be the only supported capture device on the Macintosh initially.
So the PVR version that you have is what you want
Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrowe
What do you mean? If you look at what Narflex says:

So the PVR version that you have is what you want
Nope, it looks like Menehune has a WINTV-USB2 not a WinTV-PVR-USB2

The non-PVR version is a software-encoder instead of a hardware-encoder. Different animal.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

So no love for me then apparently? I emailed within an hour of this notice and haven't heard back... presumably because I use my mac just for a client (i.e. I'm not interested in attaching capture devices to it).

Bummer... seems like the mac as a client would be worthy of some beta exposure since it's such a tasty setup.

sigh...