SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Some V6 questions

Hi, I've got a few V6 questions.

1) I bought STV4, server and client. I need to purchase a upgrade key for the server, but not for the client?
2) I've been waiting on the MVP for DVD support. Now that this exists, if I purchase an MVP through the Sage store, it will come with Extender ClientV5, which I can upgrade to 6 for free? What is the process to do so?
3) MVP comes with a client licence, so my 'extra' client can be installed on my workstation (and upgraded to v6) for free? Will client upgrading to v6 always be free or only until Nov 1?
4) SageMC (flachbar) works (incl comskip) in STV6 (server and client and MVP)?
5) All clients and server need to be on same version of SageTV?
6) There are fifteen day trials avail for all, except the MVP as it obv hardware? But the v6 wiz.bin is not v5 compatible?
7) Given that this is beta, will upgrades within the 6.x family be at no cost - bugs will no doubt surface...

I am REALLY excited about this. A total cost of $30 to upgrade my current system (more if I add an MVP) seems quite reasonable, I hope I'm reading this all correctly.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTom
Hi, I've got a few V6 questions.

1) I bought STV4, server and client. I need to purchase a upgrade key for the server, but not for the client?
Correct.

Quote:
2) I've been waiting on the MVP for DVD support. Now that this exists, if I purchase an MVP through the Sage store, it will come with Extender ClientV5, which I can upgrade to 6 for free? What is the process to do so?
Just update the server and unplug/plug in the MVP so it downloads the latest software.

Quote:
3) MVP comes with a client licence, so my 'extra' client can be installed on my workstation (and upgraded to v6) for free? Will client upgrading to v6 always be free or only until Nov 1?
The MVP comes with an Extender license. If you've already got a client license, it will work just fine with V6 (assuming you update the server). I don't believe there's a timeout on the free client update to V6.

Quote:
4) SageMC (flachbar) works (incl comskip) in STV6 (server and client and MVP)?
It should, but I haven't tried it and you'll not get some of the new features.

Quote:
5) All clients and server need to be on same version of SageTV?
Yes, is the simple answer. The more complicated one is they need to be close. But they all need to be V6.

Quote:
6) There are fifteen day trials avail for all, except the MVP as it obv hardware? But the v6 wiz.bin is not v5 compatible?
No, if you think you might want to go back, save a copy of your V5 wiz.bin as once it's been converted to V6 it won't work in older versions.

Quote:
7) Given that this is beta, will upgrades within the 6.x family be at no cost - bugs will no doubt surface...
I would expect them, though any official policy will come from SageTV, I think Jeff posted the upgrade policy in the other thead.

Quote:
I am REALLY excited about this. A total cost of $30 to upgrade my current system (more if I add an MVP) seems quite reasonable, I hope I'm reading this all correctly.
You are
Old 10-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Excellent </mr burns>

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
It should, but I haven't tried it and you'll not get some of the new features.
Aside from the UI (which I prefer) the only must-have functionality of SageMC that I'd need to retain is the integration of ShowAnalyser and Dirmon for auto-skipping of commercials. Is this doable with the default STV, allowing all the new integrated features to be available?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Also, is it safe to assume that the MVP is capable of taking a DVD rip with 5.1 audio and outputing stereo? As the MVP will not be connected to a surround sound system.

What kind of server horsepower is requred to do the following simultaneously:
1 - watch SD programming on the server
2 - record with PVR-150 x2
3 - ShowAnalyzer processing of above files
4 - watch SD programming on MVP
or
4 - watch DVD/divx (these all transcode, correct?) on an MVP?

My current server is an AthlonXP 1800+, am I expecting too much?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTom
Also, is it safe to assume that the MVP is capable of taking a DVD rip with 5.1 audio and outputing stereo? As the MVP will not be connected to a surround sound system.
I know the old MVP can, that's what I have.

Quote:
What kind of server horsepower is requred to do the following simultaneously:
1 - watch SD programming on the server
2 - record with PVR-150 x2
3 - ShowAnalyzer processing of above files
4 - watch SD programming on MVP
or
4 - watch DVD/divx (these all transcode, correct?) on an MVP?

My current server is an AthlonXP 1800+, am I expecting too much?
Depends on how you have SA setup, as it will take about everything you can give it. Recording is trivial, as is watching SD programming (assuming MPEG-2 here) on the MVP.

Watching SD on the server, there are a lot of varibles there, video card, hardware accelleration, etc, but really an 1800 is plenty for that. You might want to configure SA/Dirmon not to run comskip while you're viewing on the server though.

DVDs don't require transcoding, or at most, they require only the audio be transcoded, and that's trivial.

DivX is more work though. FWIW, my server is an AXP 1800+, but I don't do any viewing or comskip on it, nor do I watch any divx on my MVP.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

So the only potential hurdle is going to be watching divx on an MVP, especially if the server is simultaneously SAing.

I have an GF6200 in the server for a video card. IIRC I am using VMR9.

It's sounding like I'm going to have to break out the credit card...