SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Your DIVX Compression Settings

Hello,
After a few weeks of ripping music video's from my DVD and Video collection, It became apparent to me that you soon run out of disk space when storing files as uncompressed .vob or mpg2 files.
So..... I decided to jump into the world of DIVX via DrDIVX and compress the files a little, but only a little as I am quite obsessed with quality!
I have had a play about and I am reasonably happy with a quantise rate of 3 to 4 on a 1 pass encoding ... I didn't really play about with the max bitrate setting.
Incase I was missing out on anything, I thought i'd ask you all what compression settings you use?
Cheers,
Mat.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Sage Expert

I use Dr Divx, and custom profiles.

For HDTV:

2 pass (1st fast), Balanced, 2.5mbps, h.263 (optimized), noise filter on auto, 160kbps audio, resized to 1024x576.

For SDTV:

Same basicly but 1.3mbps and not resized.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcandu
Hello,
After a few weeks of ripping music video's from my DVD and Video collection, It became apparent to me that you soon run out of disk space when storing files as uncompressed .vob or mpg2 files.
So..... I decided to jump into the world of DIVX via DrDIVX and compress the files a little, but only a little as I am quite obsessed with quality!
I have had a play about and I am reasonably happy with a quantise rate of 3 to 4 on a 1 pass encoding ... I didn't really play about with the max bitrate setting.
Incase I was missing out on anything, I thought i'd ask you all what compression settings you use?
Cheers,
Mat.
I use the Dr. Divx default highest quality settings. I've compressed a little over 500 DVDs and the quality of overwhelmingly all seems to be quite good. To me anyway...

With those settings I'm able to get about 190-195 movies on a single 200gb drive with average compression weighing in at about 1 gig on average.

Also, from what I've seem with Dr. Divx, if a particular movie doesn't compress well, try ripping it based on chapters, and load the chapters.

Oh, one more thing...I've ripped movies that, for some reason, looked a little strange when playing back on the PC, but great on TV(SDTV anyway). So, if something looks odd, see how it looks on your TV.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
I use Dr Divx, and custom profiles.

For HDTV:

2 pass (1st fast), Balanced, 2.5mbps, h.263 (optimized), noise filter on auto, 160kbps audio, resized to 1024x576.

For SDTV:

Same basicly but 1.3mbps and not resized.
How long does it take you to encode an hour long HD show?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Sage Expert

Well with those settings (and remember resized down to 1024x576 helps a ton), it takes about 2 hours, thats after ive cut commercials. Its about 1 third real time. Take in to account that I have an AMD 4400+ (dual core). You can always trade off more bps for faster encodes though.

I use windows scheduler to run Dr Divx at 1 AM 4 nights a week, the watch-folder feature in Dr Divx then looks for any new files it finds in folders that i specified (I have more than one folder, one with an HDTV profile, one for SDTV, and one for SDTV (leterboxed), it lets you specifiy different profiles for each one).

Unless I have a football game + some movies encoding its always done by the time I get home from work the next day, and if not you can close the program and resume later.

mrcandu: If you want the highest quality DVD rips possible, you might look into Nero AVC.