SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 10-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Daylight Savings Time and NTFS time stamps - 1 hour off?

Has anyone else noticed that all the file time stamps are 1 hour off on your NTFS drives after going off Daylight Savings Time last weekend? Here's a Microsoft article: Time Stamp Changes with Daylight Savings. It mentions Windows NT -- I'm using XP Pro, but my drive is using NTFS. I seem to recall a similar time shift last spring, but I didn't pay much attention to it. It becomes an issue, though, when comparing backed up files on another system that is not using NTFS & suddenly every file is different because they no longer have the same time stamps.

Anyone know if I'm missing something about why this is happening?

Thanks.

- Andy
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Sage User

Small Explaination

NTFS time is recorded using GMT as the time, The OS then adds your time zone (NJ = -5:00 and +1:00 DST during Summer). Actually everything in the OS is stored this way, I wouldn't recommend it but you can turn off the "Automatically change for DST" in the clock settings but you might run into issues with just about anything that is based on time like Sage.

When a file is backed up the time stamp is correct but the DST is not, that is why the files are different.

Last edited by up2ng; 11-01-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Administrator

I can understand using GMT for the times, but it is strange that the current DST setting affects the timestamp on a file created months ago. It seems like the correct implementation should have been to adjust the timestamp for the DST status in effect for the time on the file so that it always keeps the same time, instead of retroactively adjusting times twice a year & strangely telling me that a file I saved at 7PM on one day reports an hour different later on. But, maybe I'm missing the reasoning behind this effect. Oh well, at least I'll know what is happening for future DST changes.

- Andy