SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Free music frontend?

I have a very old PC used only for email and browsing that I also listen to music on. I wouldn't have any problem using Sage's music section, but I hate to spend the money on a client license when the machine is far too slow to playback video.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a free frontend for mp3s that wouldn't use a lot of resources? It would need to be very userfriendly because I'm not the only one that uses it.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Check out xlobby.com. I use it for my (still building) multizonal audio as my client/server setup.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hmm, if all you are doing on it is normal computer stuff, do you really need a "front end"? Wouldn't you be better off with something like winamp? Or am I missing something?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 AM
SageTVaholic

If I were the only one using it then yes, but for others using the system having a way to easily navigate and search several thousand MP3s via a gui is better than the user digging through the folders on my server to find songs.

I don't know anything about winamp. I stopped using it years ago when it turned to garbage and started crashing on a regular basis. I'm sure it's a totally different product than when I last used it, but if it doesn't automatically scan the music directories on the server so new songs become available to the user and has a good gui interface that allows easy browsing it wouldn't fit my needs.

Thanks paulbeers. I haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet, but it looks like it might do the trick.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Check out SongBird... think of it as an open source (Mozilla-based) iTunes. It's in development right now, but the preview version seems to work OK.