SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Sage User

How many extenders do I need?

Anyone know whether it would be one SageTV extender per individual TV, or one SageTV extender for all tv's in my house?
Thx
Old 11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Do you mean how many extenders, or how many extender licenses?

The extender is the Hauppauge MVP, so you obviously need as many of those as the number of TVs you plan connect them to.

For extender licenses, you'll need as many of those as the number of extenders you plan to have in use at the same time. If you have 5 extenders, but only 1 will be in use at once, then you need a single extender license. If all 5 are to be used at the same time, you'll need 5 extender licenses.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
If you have 5 extenders, but only 1 will be in use at once, then you need a single extender license.
I think it's important to clarify what "in use" really means. As I understand it, if an extender is turned on and connected to a SageTV server, then it is considered "in use." This may sound basic, but people might mistakenly think that despite it being turned on, if they aren't actually watching it, it isn't "being used". I mistakenly found this out when trying to use PlaceShifter while the extender was "on and connected" but not "being used".

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, if it's connected, it's in use. If it's powered off, it's not.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
Yep, if it's connected, it's in use. If it's powered off, it's not.
Do you mean a soft-power off or a hard power-off?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Sage Expert

The licenses are only $25 bucks or so. I'd rather personally buy one license for every extender than have to worry about accidentally leaving an extender powered on.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
As far as I know, the answer to that question is: Yes.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
Soft. Use the green button to put it to sleep, Sage no longer sees it. One way to look is to use nielm's excellent webserver, that shows you all the clients, MVPs and placeshifters currently connected to Sage, and what they are watching/recording. If it appears on that list, it needs a licence!

The webserver also lets you remote-control the extenders, if you want to annoy the kids by changing channels while they watch...
Also, if my daughter leaves Nickelodeon running on her extender once the TV's off and she's in bed, I can stop it from 100 miles away.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
The webserver also lets you remote-control the extenders, if you want to annoy the kids by changing channels while they watch...
Also, if my daughter leaves Nickelodeon running on her extender once the TV's off and she's in bed, I can stop it from 100 miles away.
Does anyone know of anyway to use the custom menus to create a view that lets you do this from within the sage software?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Don't know about a custom menu, but to me, $25.00 isn't really that much to have a PlaceShifter client always available. Add up the price of a few movies, DVD rentals, or Pay-per-views that you would otherwise spend on, and you could justify the cost pretty easily.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is there a way to power them off remotely? Or maybe a better way would be to have an auto-off setting in the Sage MVP client software if possible.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakrzep
Is there a way to power them off remotely? Or maybe a better way would be to have an auto-off setting in the Sage MVP client software if possible.
If you use nielm's webserver I think it has a remote on one of the web screens that will allow you to control a remote client and power it off, among other things.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Do you think it is possible for the Sagetv MVP client to have an auto off feature?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
If you use nielm's webserver I think it has a remote on one of the web screens that will allow you to control a remote client and power it off, among other things.

Gerry
There isn't a way to power the extender off remotely. I've tried the web remote and added the power off command and the extender doesn't recognize it. This would be a great feature. When I have a power failure in my house the extenders come on. Then when I go to use placeshifter the one license I have is being used by the extender and I can't use placeshifter. It is possible to telnet into the mvp and kill the process, but then it needs to be rebooted to start it up.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakrzep
Do you think it is possible for the Sagetv MVP client to have an auto off feature?
Only if it is an absolutely optional feature. I use an MVP in our bedroom, and simply leave it on all the time and turn off the TV when not using it. It takes too long to "boot" the TV otherwise....