SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Sage User

NVIDIA DualTV no signal after channel change

In v6.0.14 with the updated DShowPlayer.dll and TSSplitter.ax file I am having an issue changing channels. I previously had a Hauppauge PVR-500MCE and changing channels worked fine. With the NVIDIA DualTV, every time I change the channel I get "No Signal" until I use the "Stop Playback" option and restart the playback. Even when a show ends and the tuner re-tunes the same channel the same "No Signal" issue occurs. I have a Vbox Cat's Eye DTA-150 as well which is not experiencing this issue either. Just curious if anyone else has this problem, I will submit a bug report if I can not find a solution.

Just as an extra note, "auto-scanning" for channels works fine with the NVIDIA DualTV, I see all of the channels change and display as it tunes.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnw
In v6.0.14 with the updated DShowPlayer.dll and TSSplitter.ax file I am having an issue changing channels. I previously had a Hauppauge PVR-500MCE and changing channels worked fine. With the NVIDIA DualTV, every time I change the channel I get "No Signal" until I use the "Stop Playback" option and restart the playback. Even when a show ends and the tuner re-tunes the same channel the same "No Signal" issue occurs. I have a Vbox Cat's Eye DTA-150 as well which is not experiencing this issue either. Just curious if anyone else has this problem, I will submit a bug report if I can not find a solution.

Just as an extra note, "auto-scanning" for channels works fine with the NVIDIA DualTV, I see all of the channels change and display as it tunes.
You may want to try a reinstall of Sage. Or remove the source and try adding it again. I have a nVidia DualTV and a PVR500 and I am not seeing this issue. I have never scanned the channels either. Channels are chosen from the EPG.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
You may want to try a reinstall of Sage. Or remove the source and try adding it again. I have a nVidia DualTV and a PVR500 and I am not seeing this issue. I have never scanned the channels either. Channels are chosen from the EPG.

Gerry
Did you replace those two files I mentioned in my first post?

I used the channels from the EPG but if I use the scan feature I successfully see the channels changing. I also tested the NVIDIA DualTV in WMC and it was able to change channels without issue. I will save the install that I have now and install a new copy to see if the problem goes away. If it does fix the problem I can keep the previous install around in case anyone wants me to provide debug information.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Did you replace those two files I mentioned in my first post?

I used the channels from the EPG but if I use the scan feature I successfully see the channels changing. I also tested the NVIDIA DualTV in WMC and it was able to change channels without issue. I will save the install that I have now and install a new copy to see if the problem goes away. If it does fix the problem I can keep the previous install around in case anyone wants me to provide debug information.
Yes-ran it both with the originals and then with the replaced files. (Once I remebered why my DVDs didn't have sound.) I updated the tssplitter after reading your post just to see if it created the issue. It did not.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just curious, do you guys like the DualTV?

I have a PVR150, and am thinking of upgrading to a 2nd tuner (all in one card would be great).

And a question: can one have coax and a digital cable box as seperate inputs to these cards?

(I do realize that this isn't part of the thread focus - but you guys both seem to have PVR 500 vs DualTV input).
Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Sage User

If you have digital cable that means your set-top box has a QAM tuner. Assuming you don't have analog cable, you won't be able to hook either the DualTV or the PVR-500 directly to the coax. However, if your set-top box has an analog output via coax, you will be able to connect both cards to that. The only problem is that you won't be able to tune to two separate channels at once without a second set-top box. If you did have two set-top boxes, you could use two separate IR blasters to control each box and then combine the 2 analog coax lines to a 2-to-1 combiner/splitter which would then connect to the DualTV or PVR-500. I do not know if anyone actually has such a configuration but it is certainly possible given the hardware I mentioned. Whether or not SageTV supports such a setup is the real question. If I had more experience with SageTV I could help out more, but that's all I got.

One thing to note about the Hauppauge PVR-500MCE. If you end up with Samsung tuners instead of the original Phillips tuners, there is a very good chance that your PQ will be terrible. I could barely make out any of the channels until removing the RF shields on the tuners. Even after doing that I was still unable to watch most channels. I would have said it was a broken card until I found this forum thread where many other people have experienced the exact same issue. As for the DualTV, the PQ is as good as I could ask for, it looks great. Now I am off to try some reinstalls to get this little tuning issue out of the way. Either way, I know for sure it is not a hardware issue so I am finally able to sleep at night!

-james

Last edited by jamesnw; 11-17-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Sage User

OK so I tried the re-install after flushing all the tuner drivers and decoders. I did minimal configuration of SageTV and tested channel changing. It worked. I then continued to configure my settings back in one at a time and testing. I found the source of the problem. Once I set the tuners to record at "MPEG2 Max Quality" the issue returns. I am going to submit a bug report now.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you have digital cable that means your set-top box has a QAM tuner. Assuming you don't have analog cable, you won't be able to hook either the DualTV or the PVR-500 directly to the coax. However, if your set-top box has an analog output via coax, you will be able to connect both cards to that. The only problem is that you won't be able to tune to two separate channels at once without a second set-top box.
Not entirely true, all the channels you get with analog cable are usually (if not always) still analog even with digital. You can connect the coax directly to the cards and they will tune all the analog channels from your digital cable. Also you wouldn't want to connected the STB via coax. Instead you would use S-video or composite.

What you'd do is run the coax to the PVR500 and choose either a standard analog cable lineup that matches the analog channels you get or a digital lineup and disable all the digital channels.

Then you'd choose a different lineup for your S-video connection. This would allow your card's tuner to tune the analog channels such as 2-99 on the built in tuner and channels 2-3xx (however many you get) with your STB for the s-video connection.

You could also have both of the card's tuners tune channels 2-99 and only use the s-video and stb for the digital channels. This is only really useful if channel changes are unreliable or you use the stb for viewing true live TV.

Last edited by blade; 11-18-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Sage User

Same issue....occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
OK so I tried the re-install after flushing all the tuner drivers and decoders. I did minimal configuration of SageTV and tested channel changing. It worked. I then continued to configure my settings back in one at a time and testing. I found the source of the problem. Once I set the tuners to record at "MPEG2 Max Quality" the issue returns. I am going to submit a bug report now.
Did you resolve this? I get the same thing....If I shut down sageclient and restart it it can tune the channel. But a channel change get's me no signal.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm trying my best to remember what solved this for me. After upgrading to latest version this happened to me, just can't remember what I did. I had it fixed in just a few minutes, so it is able to be fixed. Will post back when I remember! Just trying to give you guys some hope
Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage support fixed this one for me right quick, they say its a bug with the DualTV.

Close SageTV and the service if running and open up your Sage.properties
file. Look for this line, "seeker/fast_mux_switch=true" and change it from
true to false.

They say it doesn't affect performace at all, and I can now use all recording qualities.

(Thanks George Oms!)
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to F3bandit Send a message via MSN to F3bandit Send a message via Yahoo to F3bandit
RE://NVIDIA DualTV no signal after channel change

This is how I have to go about the install senario with my system, maybe it will help some others as well. I have a ABIT NF8 v2.0 mobo with the Nforce3
chipset. which alot of people aren't to happy with the IDE/ATA drivers. but at least on my mobo they really are great. Mind you this is a clean install
list.

1) Clean install windows xp (quick format is optional)

2) Install all your drivers (this means the full nforce driver package)

3) When it pops up "do you want to install the IDE SW drivers" Click "yes"

4) Download all your windows updates "there seem to be some check boxes that only show up during the sagetv install only if you have all your .NET packages and etc installed. so just do them all. but leave out the IE7
Install, It seems to cause more problems in my opinion. I have a huge list of software I cannot use. if I install IE7, Plus once installed the only way to fix the damage it causes is to clean install all over again.

5) Now I have a Nvidia DualTV PCI. so we will go with that. Install the newest drivers from Nvidia. I prefer to install the PureVideo seperately.
So that's what I reccomend in this case.

6) Now install SageTV. I check box everything I can on it (silly I know lol)
Once done shut down the sagetv service too. Now goto the sagetv install
DIR. open these files in notepad or wordpad by right clicking and dragging to open or open with. Sage.properties, Sage.properties.autobackup, SageClient.properties, SageClient.properties.autobackup in each file find this line seeker/fast_mux_switch=true now where it reads true, change it to false. do this to each file and close the window and when it prompts if you want to save the changes click yes.

7) Now start sagetv and go threw the guided setup and all should be well.

8)If you experience any jitter in you picture. open the hardware manager
and expand the IDE/ ATAPI Host Controllers find the one for the drive to whcich sagetv stores and buffers recordings to and disable write caching.
I have a 300gig SATA I use for this purpose so It's really not needd in my case.

well that should be about it email or pm me if I missed something. later