SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Sage Icon

SageTV Client Java Stack Overflow: Did I corrupt something

I had everything working ok for one of my SageTV clients. I was having a hardware level display problem which resulted in me needing to force-shutdown SageTV, as well as some network problems which prevented the client from connecting to the server.

I started getting a Java: java.lang.StackOverflowError when my network was having issues which went away when I fixed that.

Now I get it all the time and SageTVClient won't even connect to the server. I know the server is working as I have another client working just fine. I know the network is working as I'm typing this from the suspect client.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Java and SageTV Client.

If it's relevant, when I try and play the SageTV recorded MPEGs in another player [i.e., WMP or Zoom], it plays ok for a while then all of a sudden shuts down claiming there was some unknown device driver issue.

Any other ideas as to what I done screwed up?

Last edited by IVB; 11-02-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Sage

Restart SageTV on the server and it should fix the problem.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

Bounced both boxes with no luck.

I originally posted just the Sage part of this, then edited to note that if I try to play these mpegs in another player, the machine will have an "unknown" device driver issue. I wonder if there's something that WMP eventually needs that SageTV Client needs immediately that's failing.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Sage User

My first problem with SageTV

I too just received that same error message (An exception occured in Java: java.lang.StackOverflowError) upon starting of SageTV. (Not the Client)

Restarting didn't help; nor did reinstalling Java or repairing SageTV installation. I ended up reinstalling both.

Interesting note: I backed up my SageTV directory before reinstalling so I could replace my Biz file and .properties file. Only later did I realize there was no .properties file, and the backup was only about 10 lines of nothing.

What happened?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Sage Icon

Did reinstallation of both help you? Did you uninstall first? It didn't help me - i uninstalled Java & Sage, then reinstalled. As mine was the client, I didn't lose anything.

I did get this before when I had forgotten to turn the SageTV server on, and also when I accidentally locked the HTPC-client off network. [oops]. Those times it went away once network cxn was re-established.

Is there some form of log somewhere, or is this too early in the startup process to find it?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:16 AM
Sage User

I uninstalled SageTv amd Java and deleted the directories. (I've learned the long and hard way - now whenever I uninstall with the intention of reinstalling, I delete the program's directory manually.)

There were no error logs in the SageTV directory. I didn't lose any of my settings (except those in the .properties file, no big deal.), and it recognized all my recordings once I moved my bin file back.

I've noticed now that perhaps my machine rebooted during recording. The last show that was recorded was cut off early.... maybe this all stems from a hardware/OS crash? Would Sage or Java be damaged from an unexpected catastophic shutdown?

Anyways, all seems to be well now over here! Good luck on your end!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Sage Icon

well, your lesson learned is my lesson re-learned. After I physically deleted the SageTV directory and reinstalled, everything works fine.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Sage User

i just got this error with sageTV and the 350 after it bluescreened my usually "bombproof" system. what is this. why does it happen?

sage??

Rob
Old 12-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Sage User

I just had the same overflow error the other day after having a mysterious reboot. As others have stated, reinstalling java and sagetv did not fix the error. What did fix it was simply deleting any existing SAGE.PROPERTIES or SAGE.PROPERTIES.AUTOBACKUP files and sagetv will run. Of course without those files your whole setup needs to be redone.

I can understand how a crash could corrupt the main properties file, but why isn't the backup safe? Since then I've been periodically saving a copy of the SAGE.PROPERTIES file in a separate location. Don't want to have to redo the channels and remote commands again!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Well let's think about it. If your Sage.properties goes bad and then a backup of that is made......

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Sage User

too many people having the same error. mine happened after a mysterious crash as well.

sage?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Crash could have occurred when the backup of the good properties file was being performed.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by follower
Crash could have occurred when the backup of the good properties file was being performed.
This was my problem a couple days ago. I renamed the backup and the system came back up.