SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Sage User

Using SageTV with multiple PC extenders

Alright guys, I'm finally sold on the direction I want/need to go with my Media Server - SageTV. The one thing that still bugs me and I hate to give M$ my money so I need to ask if I can extend sageTV with my own computer?

I need/want to record HD programming on 1 computer, which will run sageTV. I'm thinking of building 3 mini-ITX computers that can access the sageTV server, each one behaving as an extender. Is that possible? I only see the extender MVP mentioned and I couldn't find/understand how sageTV works with multiple clients that access a central computer. I want the interface to be just like the sageTV interface, without the user knowing they are using a computer or accessing the sageTV server.

Anyways, any insite or ideas would be much appreciated. I did notice Sage had some code that would allow me to create my own plug-in. I know a bit about windows programming, is that the way to go, create my own client side software?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Administrator

SageTVClient is used on PCs acting as clients on your LAN. The UI is the same as on the server and you have access to all the recordings & imported media on the server. The client can also play DVDs in the local PC's DVD drive (or ripped DVDs imported into the library).

Hauppauge MVPs are used as extenders so you don't have to use a PC at each TV -- cheaper & quieter. SageTVClient is a separate product from this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Sage User

So I took a look at the sageTV software page. I found the sageTV Media MVP Client software, I'm guessing that is NOT used for the PC stand-alone? I also saw the placeshifter software, is that in replacement of the client software?

Sorry a bit confused, want to get it right.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Sage Expert

http://www.sagetv.com/download.html

Bottom of the page 'Download SageTV Client (V5 for Windows)'
Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Sage Icon

Ok, there are basically 3 different ways to watch SageTV on a client.

The first way is the original SageTVclient. It is used on a single PC and the license is tied to that computer, each client needs its own license.

The second way is the Media MVP Extender client. It is used on the Hauppauge MVP. Its license is a "floating" license. You could have 3 extenders, but only 1 license. As long as you only had 1 extender turned on at a time, you would not have any license issues. edit: There is no actual software that you install on the Extender, it's software is done via the server automatically.

The third way is with the Placeshifter client. It is used on a PC. Its designed usage is over the internet where the bandwith capablilties are not good enough to stream full-strength video. It will transcode the video down to a level small enought to transmit over the internet. The quality will be reduced, but watchable. It is usable inside your network, but that is not the main designed usage. If you have a poor wireless connection, it may be benefitial. It doesn't have the feature set of the SageTVclient, but it is usable. It's licensing is the same as the MVP Extender license, only concurrent usage is counted against the license. In fact, the MVP Extender license and the Placeshifter license are interchangable. If you have one type, you can use it for the other type of usage.

edit: In your scenario, you'd need 1 copy of SageTV (for the server) and 3 copies of SageTVclient, 1 for each mini-ITX.

Last edited by ke6guj; 11-29-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Sage User

Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

If the idea is to minimize the number of copies of Windows you need, then I don't see how those mini-ITX machines are going to help. You'll still need Windows on them to run SageTVClient or Placeshifter.

So before you start buying hardware, you should take a close look at the MVP to see if it meets your needs. It offers the same UI experience as SageTVClient or Placeshifter but at a much lower hardware cost (and no Windows).

Another option is to use a Mac Mini as a client. People have installed Windows on it in order to run SageTVClient, but there's also a native Mac OSX client in the works for SageTV version 6. So if eliminating MS from the equation is your overriding priority, regardless of cost, you could in theory set up a Linux server with Mac clients at some point in the not-too-distant future.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I agree to try out an MVP first. I'm using a wired MVP, and it works very well. The simple fact that you can have a hardware decoder connected to a TV providing (almost) full SageTV functionality for about a hundred bucks, to me, is really amazing. That said, I find 2 noticeable differences between it and the client running on the server:

1. Picture quality is excellent.
I have an MVP connected to a 36" tube TV through a Composite connection. The UI is crisp, and the picture quality is great--much, much better than I ever expected. In fact, I'm struggling a bit to get my picture quality properly calibrated on my new 42" LCD. With the MVP, it was plug-and-watch without any problems.

2. UI is sluggish.
There is a noticeable delay in UI response when using my MVP. YMMV, but it's not a deal breaker for me. It is noticeable, but certainly usable.

(Side note: What I'd like to see is an MVP that has a VGA or DVI or HDMI connection that would connect to an LCD HD monitor providing hardware decoding. Now THAT would be sweet!)

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.

Last edited by jbarr; 11-29-2006 at 01:34 PM.