SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Sage User

Any way to send WOL packet?

Is there any way to make the extender send a wake on lan packet to the Sage server computer? I am able to wake my server from another computer using 3rd party software to send a WOL packet. I have been unable to get the extender to wake up my server. The response I received from Sage (and a quick response) was that the extender doesn't send a WOL packet, just network traffic. I guess some motherboards and nics support waking by network traffic alone? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to send a WOL packet since the extender already knows the server's IP address. It would just need to also retrieve the mac address and it would have all of the info for the WOL packet, right? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
this feature would be nice, if sage can also add support for WOL packets been sent to network encoders? that would be nice and maybe get energy star cert (if there is such a thing
Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just bought a wMVP and was thinking the same thing!

My server goes into hibernation after 10 minutes of inactivity and I have to wake it up using the magic packet.

Surely there must be some way to have the wMVP send such a packet when turned on or something like that?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Sage User

My wife is getting tired of getting up off her butt to wake up the server so I can watch Sage. Please help.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you're in front of the TV that's directly connected to your Sage server, I'd say, get a USB IR device and make the PC wake up my USB devices. That should work.

I read the MVP is running Linux. There must be some hacker that can program a command to send the magic packet?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Sage Icon

I would tend to think this is a function of the hardware side of the ethernet chip supplied in the MVP, and that it just plain doesn't support the WOL packet creation needed.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sending a WOL from a linux box simply requires some software.

I remember having to install a piece of software called "wakeonlan" that I use now to wake up my Sage server when I'm not at home.
I simply run wakeonlan with the MAC address of the server and it wakes up fine.

If there's someway to install this on the MVP box and have it run when you power it on (soft boot). That shouldn't be much of a problem?
Old 12-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
I would tend to think this is a function of the hardware side of the ethernet chip supplied in the MVP, and that it just plain doesn't support the WOL packet creation needed.
If I recall correctly the original Hauppauge software now supports WOL. That means that its not a hardware problem.

I agree with all you that this would really be a nice feature, but I sense that most sage users just let there server run 24/7 reagardless of the costs

rtengvad
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 12-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

If the original software supports it, how would the MVP send the magic packet?
Automatically when switched on?
Would it be part of the part that gets downloaded from the server (the 'dongle.bin' I believe it is called?).
Then it shouldbe even easier to integrate into Sage, right?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
If the original software supports it, how would the MVP send the magic packet?
Automatically when switched on?
Would it be part of the part that gets downloaded from the server (the 'dongle.bin' I believe it is called?).
Then it shouldbe even easier to integrate into Sage, right?
I dont know how it works. Maybe some experts here at the forum can do that for us. I just seem to remember that I've read about it in a release note not long ago.

rtengvad
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 12-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
I read the MVP is running Linux. There must be some hacker that can program a command to send the magic packet?
I added the wol functionality to the mvpmc dongle.bin and it really wasn't difficult at all. The way I implemented it was I saved the server mac address the first time I connect and send the magic packet to this mac the next time mvpmc powers up. The source code is available on the mvpmc site, should sage developers want to look at it, and I'd be happy to help if they have any questions.

Martin