SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

STB Channel Changing

Greetings all,

I would like to report a problem with sage 6.0.18 final.

I guess I should post it here as it is no longer a beta.

With version 5 and version 6.016rc1 I was having no problems, however on the new version my DirecTV d10-100 and d11-500 are not changing channels properly and frankly the wife is getting you know.

She is my beta tester after all.

Keep in mind I just turned on FSE mode and VMR9 which I was not using on the previous versions, I can turn them off for a day or two and see if the problem goes away. I just wanted to check and see if any others were experiencing the same problem.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

If you want to get this to SageTV's attention, be sure to contact tech support (see my sig lines, or the bug report page is still open too). This FAQ contains info about how to generate a debug log.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hold the phone, I have narrowed it down to my d11-500 box suddenly not taking channel changes from Sage.

Let me swap the ports to make sure I dont have a hardware "either bad serial port or bad Patterson Tech adapter" problem on this end and I will report back later.

I turned one tuner off so the wife could watch her shows. I love Sage
Old 12-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had a D10-100 suddenly stop taking channel changes with no software changes (on the PC) whatsoever. I had to change to a different serial DLL to get it working, I don't know what happened, I would think a software update on the STB, but it only happened on one of them...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nope looks like the USB on the d11-500 quit working.

Oh well time to call DirecTV and have them send me another box
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

It appears that DirecTV recently sent out a firmware update to the d11-500 series receivers to fix the caller id problem they were having.

"this was reported on dbstalk.com"

I wonder if they have disabled or changed the USB port settings

I have sent a message to Patterson Tech hoping they can shed some light on the problem before I return the receiver to DirecTV.

I will keep you posted.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am not sure if this is the reason or not, But I heard the directTv disabled the USB port in a software update a while back, Maybe it just took your box a while to receive the update?

I know when I got my D10-100's, It took 3 weeks before my box had What I beleive the latest software on it.

Just a thought.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just got off the phone with DirecTV, they have indeed disabled the USB port on my d11-500 with the latest firmware update.

There are plans to support this model via usb but not until sometime in 2007.

They are letting me return the unit and they are sending out a new access card for a model d10-100 I have laying around.

Just thought I would let all of you know.

I still have not heard from Patterson Tech on thier take on this.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here is the latest information from Patterson Tech.

Frequently Asked Questions - USB TV Translator
Hot Topic: My USB TV Translator was working fine, but suddenly stopped changing channels. How do I get it working again?
On December 19 DirecTV started pushing a software update into receivers which changes the communication protocol for the USB port. This causes the receiver to ignore channel-change commands sent by the USB TV Translator.

We are working on a firmware update for the USB TV Translator based on information provided to us by DirecTV. We hope to have the update available shortly after Christmas. There will also be an update required for the TV Translator Configuration Utility. Please come back right here for current availability status of this update.

To check if you have received this update, use the DirecTV remote to go to the Setup menu and select Info & Test. This new update is version 0x1040 under Software.

Glad to see I wasnt dreaming this

Mods you may want to make this a sticky till after the holidays, just a thought.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Update 1-9-2007 for PattersonTech adapter.

The DirecTV update 0x1040 changes the baud rate used by the USB port to 9600 instead of 115200. Our latest Configuration Utility (1.0.5.0) displays the baud rate being used when connected (the utility uses whatever rate the USB TV Translator used last). So you can check to see if this matches the 9600 baud needed by the receiver just by Connecting to the Configuration Utility. The USB TV Translator must have firmware version 4.09.

You can also use the Configuration Utility to force the baud rate of the USB TV Translator if you have a serial port and install the DirecTV Serial Control Utility (from http://www.dtvcontrol.com/). With both the USB and serial connectors of the USB TV Translator plugged into your PC:

Make sure you have not sent a channel-change from DTVcon. If you have, unplug the USB cable for a moment and plug it back in, then reconnect.
On the Configuration Utility Options menu, select the Test Window command.
Choose the 9600 baud radio button in the Test Window.
Click any channel-change button (like HBO).
The channel-change should show up in the Test Window at the new baud rate.

When you close the Test Window, the utility should show the new baud rate when it reconnects.

The USB TV Translator stays locked onto a baud rate as long as it stays plugged into the USB port and powered on. Whenever it is restarted (unplugged), it tries the last baud rate first but will try both until it locks in again.

I tried this last night and it worked like a charm! Hope this helps some of you.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Now... what?

You said you got rid of your USB port (dis)abled D11-500 for a D10-100... so does your setting of baud rate only apply to users who have the D10-100 ?

And isn't there a more perma-setting to do than this? This seems just stupid really... so everytime you reboot, you have to unplug everything, and go through these hoops to reset the baud rate.

Man, you'd think for $42 from patersontech, they would make their firmware a bit better. *sigh*
Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleHat
Now... what?

You said you got rid of your USB port (dis)abled D11-500 for a D10-100... so does your setting of baud rate only apply to users who have the D10-100 ?

And isn't there a more perma-setting to do than this? This seems just stupid really... so everytime you reboot, you have to unplug everything, and go through these hoops to reset the baud rate.

Man, you'd think for $42 from patersontech, they would make their firmware a bit better. *sigh*
No I kept my D11-500 DirecTV slowed the baud rate down on these to 9600 from 15200.

You only have to do it once, it will keep the settings from then on.

PattersonTech was extremly helpful when I e-mailed them for support, perhaps contacting them will clear this up for you. Mine is working great.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, thanks for the clarification. If not for my benefit, but for future readers. I swear, once I get all this working right, Im gonna make a guide lol. Thanks again... I will try the baud adjustment the next time this locksup on me (if it doesnt lock up, then well... I may not try messin with it! however I doubt that).

I already had to send one TVT3 back as it bellied up after two days. Not the typical lockup-must-reboot problem, but it flat out was dead. Even plugging its USB end into the computer no longer showed itself in the config utility, nor even usb connected. Not quite sure what happened there! But Pateronson said to just send it back and they will send a new one out.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Glad I could be of some help.

Yes an article or even an updated WIKI would be nice.

Half the time I try and go the the WIKI it is down.